Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's yer total?

How’d it eat? I’ve often wondered about hunting them

Slightly greasy but taste was fine. They’re really a lot smaller than they appear due to all that fat.

For anyone who wants to spend september weekends hanging out in the alpine, fishing alpine lakes, and scrambling around avalanche chutes with a rifle but can’t get a goat tag, just go marmot hunting.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of you folks wrote down every miss and lost animal or everyone only recorded the good stuff.

My personal stats say that across 60 big game animals and 10 years, about 75% of the time I pull a trigger or release an arrow it results in a dead and recovered animal... and that includes some abysmal late season flintlock rifle shooting.

Anyone that tells you they've never missed or wounded and lost something hasn't killed very many animals.

Slightly greasy but taste was fine. They’re really a lot smaller than they appear due to all that fat.

For someone who wants to spend weekends hanging out in the alpine, fishing alpine lakes, and scrambling around avalanche chutes with a rifle but can’t get a goat tag, just go marmot hunting.
Point of correction, there are two different specifies of marmots, and those in the alpine areas are generally hoary marmots and are off limits. the lower country marmots, yellow-bellied, are fair game as far as I'm aware, though you may have to take the South Park approach.

Point of correction, there are two different specifies of marmots, and those in the alpine areas are generally hoary marmots and are off limits. the lower country marmots, yellow-bellied, are fair game as far as I'm aware, though you may have to take the South Park approach.

as far as i'm aware per our regulations there is no distinction between the two species as far as hunting goes.

I wonder how many of you folks wrote down every miss and lost animal or everyone only recorded the good stuff.

My personal stats say that across 60 big game animals and 10 years, about 75% of the time I pull a trigger or release an arrow it results in a dead and recovered animal... and that includes some abysmal late season flintlock rifle shooting.

Anyone that tells you they've never missed or wounded and lost something hasn't killed very many animals.
Pigs, I've lost half a dozen. Ate dozens I did shoot & find.
Lost 2 bucks.

OntarioHunter my mother was 9 and during the depression her father was hunting for food. She said that he had sat down beside a log with a few squirrels he had taken. As far as she remembered he had the shotgun leaning on his shoulder when he sat down and it went off, catching him in the neck. They found him that evening still sitting there upright having bled out. She said she remembered hearing that last shot behind their house and when he did not return she felt something was wrong. I know that image was in her mind many years later of him because she always told me please be careful. They were tobacco farmers and right poor so he always hunted for food she said.

paging steven rinella

i'm honestly curious.

cam hanes would argue if it wasn't a trophy bull with a bow at 65 yards it doesn't count as a big game animal and it if was a buck you didn't pack unskinned and whole on your back with your personal paparazi to capture while someone else takes your backpack out it it doesn't count as a big game animal either. so his stats would be overly confounding and don't matter to anyone anywhere.

Probably more intriguing/sad are the animals I have never harvested especially considering I grew up in Idaho and still live in Montana.
Never have harvested:
1. Whitetail deer
2. Goose
3. Duck
4. Turkey
5. Sharptail grouse
6. Cougar
7. Moose
8. Wolf
Man, get yourself out turkey hunting!

With a rifle I've missed 1 mule deer buck and 1 whitetail buck. With a bow I've missed 2 blacktail bucks. Luckily I've never drawn blood from a deer that I didn't recover.

@TOGIE thanks for starting this thread. This was a fun exercise for me. I had to dredge up some memories that used to stay near the surface.

Apparently, @Big Fin and I are collectively responsible for the near demise of mule deer in eastern MT with one episode of Fresh Tracks…😄

Even though my grand total of mule deer killed in MT is one and that was killed in NW MT.

Total lifetime count of critters is unknown. Enough that I have trouble remembering each kill, not so many that I couldn’t if I sat down and tried.

Might be time to try and remember, if for no other reason than reliving a hunt in my mind.

Home state.
Probably 150 whitetails half archery half rifle. VA is crawling with them and has liberal bag limits.
60-80 spring gobblers
10 or so fall turkeys
4 coyotes
1 bobcat
1 Black Bear archery
Lots of rabbits and squirrels
A few grouse

Out west hunts
3 bull elk archery
1 bull elk muzzleloader
1 cow elk archery
2 mule deer buck’s archery
1 mule deer doe archery
1 mule deer buck rifle

Had to dig back in the old memory banks and only counted the ones I could for sure remember, but I am sure there are a few that are lost to time.... Here is what I came up with that required tags.

DEER- 45 Bucks / 30+/- Does (from 7 states, 60% with a rifle, 39% with a bow, couple with a pistol) About half and half whitetail and mule deer.

Elk- 16 Bulls (15 archery), 2 Spikes (rifle), 14 Cows (7 bow, 7 rifle)

Antelope- 22 Bucks (14 bow / 8 rifle) 6 Does (1 Bow (pass through on a buck) , 1 Pistol, 4 rifle)

2 Mountain Goats

1 Canada Moose

1 Brown Bear

7 Black Bear

1 Aoudad

1 Red Stag

1 Caribou

4 Hogs

40+ Turkeys

3 Swans

If I had a list of all the animals I helped people with, it would probalby be 3-4 times as many of each species.

The "To Do LIst" includes

Mountain Lion

Wolf

Aligator

Buffalo

Sheep

I have eaten some tags for sure over the years... but the big misses species wise for me that I need to go back in do include.

Grizzly Bear (tried it with my bow.... couldn't get it done. Taking the rifle next time)
Kodiak Blacktail ( got weathered out after my goat hunt)
Wolf ( have had tags in Montana, Alaska, and B.C, but still batting .000)

I don’t count the doe and button buck I got in 01/02 because they were harvested with a firearm.
Besides that I’ve harvested 2 mature does, 2 button bucks and 1 public land archery elk with archery equipment.
Prob about 30 squirrels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back