What's yer total?

TOGIE

Who keeps a solid track of how many and what type of animals they have shot? I'm sure lots of people have a decent number in their head. But who actually has a tally of the actual true number?

I've been doing that since I started hunting. I have a spreadsheet I keep my application planning in and I keep a tab of successful hunt tracking. Anybody else? What's your total? How many per year? Anybody track their bullet ratio per kill?

I'm a pretty new hunter so my totals aren't exactly impressive. But I will say, I've never had a dry year since i started.

1674159390490.png

Yes my cow from a week ago took 4 shots. She just wasn't acting hit, so i just kept shooting her 🤷‍♂️

I had a stupid impatient rodeo with my buck from 2021. Dumb yardage mistake on my pronghorn buck. Other than that it's been good shooting.

Let's see those spreadsheets!

Who keeps a solid track of how many and what type of animals they have shot? I'm sure lots of people have a decent number in their head. But who actually has a tally of the actual true number?

I've been doing that since I started hunting. I have a spreadsheet I keep my application planning in and I keep a tab of successful hunt tracking. Anybody else? What's your total? How many per year? Anybody track their bullet ratio per kill?

I'm a pretty new hunter so my totals aren't exactly impressive. But I will say, I've never had a dry year since i started.

View attachment 261484

Yes my cow from a week ago took 4 shots. She just wasn't acting hit, so i just kept shooting her 🤷‍♂️

I had a stupid impatient rodeo with my buck from 2021. Dumb yardage mistake on my pronghorn buck. Other than that it's been good shooting.

Let's see those spreadsheets!
Impressive indeed!!!!

Dont have a clue on mine. I believe 18 or so elk and a handful of deer, burs, antelope and other such critters. That would be a handy thing to keep track of though. Would be fun to know average shot distances and things of that nature.

Dont have a clue on mine. I believe 18 or so elk and a handful of deer, burs, antelope and other such critters. That would be a handy thing to keep track of though. Would be fun to know average shot distances and things of that nature.

I've recently started getting interested in analyzing the time of day too. Don't feel like average is the best way to distill it though. But looking at the day in brackets of when most success has been had.

how many kills from shooting light to 10 am? from 10 am to 2 pm, from 2pm to end of shooting light?

would be very confounded by hunter styles and effort though, so wouldn't mean much necessarily. but, i've started to hypothesize that more animals are killed in the 2pm to end of shooting light bracket than any other across all hunters. my reasoning being you have all day in the light to find animals, find great habitats and hidey holes, and stalk and get into position perfectly with light. morning tends to be harder starting out in the dark, more luck. you might glass up animals in the morning, but more often won't be able to get in great position till later in the day.

8 of my 11 would fall in the 2pm to end of shooting light bracket.

I know my number for animals that require a tag and have every filled tag in a box.
I go the opposite route, keep the 'tag soup' tags and plan on being cremated using that as the fire.
I don't keep a record, but outside of birds and maybe deer, I could probably think through and get a count. My list isn't that extensive.

more elk than deer?

i hypothesize that the average western hunter has generally on average shot 1.5-2x as many deer as elk. based on not much than just glancing around the internet and hunt talk.

There was I time I kept similar records of killed animals. I separated everything out by species, sex, and weapon used. Rifle, bow, muzzleloader or shotgun. I recorded of everything from quail to elk, but sometime along the way I guess I got bored of it and stopped keeping track.

I gave up keeping detailed records a long time ago. I should go back through and write it all down, pull all the stories I wrote and archive it somewhere for my kids. I don't have many pics to about 2005, but hunted a lot between 1990 and then.

I've shot 10 sheep, 25 elk (my biggest bull was #20 bull, only way I can remember), and maybe 12-15 antelope back when MT gave them away like candy, a guy could get 3x a year. No idea on deer, I'd guess maybe 70+ bucks/does. I've filled every MT tag I ever had with a buck, so like 18 there, shot a few in AK, CO and a truckload in MD when I lived there for a few years. Maybe 9-10 bou, don't remember anymore, a bunch of trips over the years I know I've helped pack out 24-5 of them from our spots, plus the ones I shot. I've packed 9 moose now, and shot 5, a brown, and a couple black bears, a bunch of African stuff (10-12 animals). Easily been in on 2-3x as many other hunts/kills.

I'm to the point that I enjoy the adventure as much or more than shooting something, even though we usually kill something.

I keep the bullet (if i can find it) and casing for memorable hunts and first time animals. I write a note of quick facts for myself. I take a pic of everything for memory.

I kept track of the waterfowl I killed one season. It was over 300 birds that season when in college. Only kept track of the # and the species. It was still cool to see I had over 300 ducks/geese in 1 season.

I should start keeping track of the big game critters. The most memorable ones are well documented in my mind and on the walls!

Edit: My whitetail doe number has to be getting close to 30 by now... I'm 25, been shooting deer since I was 10!

I don't have an official spreadsheet to track it like that. Just a mental tally. I've only been hunting since 2013ish and the tally isn't too high, so at this point I can still remember it all.

I do wish I would have a spreadsheet with weather and wind and date of all the encounters I have had. I'm starting to notice real patterns and if I had only noticed them before I went out hunting I might have capitalized on them instead of just observing them again and wondering if I could have done something different...

more elk than deer?

i hypothesize that the average western hunter has generally on average shot 1.5-2x as many deer as elk. based on not much than just glancing around the internet and hunt talk.
Elk take priority in my hunting seasons. I've only ever gone 1 season without taking an elk. I only hunt deer if I already have an elk down. Some years I have decided not to shoot a deer just to fill a tag if I didnt find one I liked. But I suspect, all in all, probably fairly close in numbers.

I have definately killed more elk in the PM hours, but have also had alot of encounters and close calls in the AM as well.

you could really go to town with the data.

pack out distance
total distance hiked for animal
days hunted
location of kill
bullet and weight (i don't have this, don't care enough)
gun
scope
elevation of kill

i have the rest of those but would need to do some digging in onx and write down the days spent.

i don't really care about gun stats honestly. for me guns go bang and kill things as long as properly sighted in and familiarized with by the shooter. it's uninteresting data for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back