Whats our President trying to do to us gun buyers/owners

When calling in a NICS background check, the make, model or serial number of the gun being purchased are not disclosed. It is purely a background check on the person buying the gun.
Maybe I am missing something but how is a background check registration?

It's not. Registration is when you have to register each gun in your safe. Background checks are also supposed to be destroyed after a certain time. I 100% do not support registration but I do think that if you are going to buy & sell more than 3-4 guns a month at a gun-show or online, getting an FFL isn't a bad idea. Perhaps BATF could develop a "hobbyist" FFL, similar to a C&R license, or broaden C&R regs to meet that definition.

Cush brings up some valid points. I have a couple of family members who would fit his description.

When calling in a NICS background check, the make, model or serial number of the gun being purchased are not disclosed. It is purely a background check on the person buying the gun.
Maybe I am missing something but how is a background check registration?

The serial no. is recorded on the paperwork at the FFL. I believe that FFL holders have the option of destroying the records after 20 years or sending the files to the FBI.

If all private transfers required background checks, the government would be able to locate most of the firearms in this country with a generation or two because eventually, an owner of a firearm that has not been ran though NICS will die and transfer will occur. Obviously, they are not going to know where every single gun is, but they will be able to locate most.

It's not. Registration is when you have to register each gun in your safe. Background checks are also supposed to be destroyed after a certain time. I 100% do not support registration but I do think that if you are going to buy & sell more than 3-4 guns a month at a gun-show or online, getting an FFL isn't a bad idea. Perhaps BATF could develop a "hobbyist" FFL, similar to a C&R license, or broaden C&R regs to meet that definition.

Cush brings up some valid points. I have a couple of family members who would fit his description.

It is not in the pure sense, but eventually it will accomplish 90% of what outright registration would.

The serial no. is recorded on the paperwork at the FFL. I believe that FFL holders have the option of destroying the records after 20 years or sending the files to the FBI.

If all private transfers required background checks, the government would be able to locate most of the firearms in this country with a generation or two because eventually, an owner of a firearm that has not been ran though NICS will die and transfer will occur. Obviously, they are not going to know where every single gun is, but they will be able to locate most.

The way the EO was written, it goes towards the online sale & gun show sale, based on volume. Not on individual sale/gifting/transfer, like the Missoula ordinance looked like.

A lot of this will depend on how BATF/FBI, etc write the rules to go along w/ the EO's.

Most of the action items listed in the EO's will require funding to implement, and most of those were supported by the NRA at one time, and again, NSSF has a good take on them.

Lots of good, some that could go sideways, and some that will have to thread the needle pretty delicately in order not to screw people out of their rights.

The way the EO was written, it goes towards the online sale & gun show sale, based on volume. Not on individual sale/gifting/transfer, like the Missoula ordinance looked like.

A lot of this will depend on how BATF/FBI, etc write the rules to go along w/ the EO's.

Most of the action items listed in the EO's will require funding to implement, and most of those were supported by the NRA at one time, and again, NSSF has a good take on them.

Lots of good, some that could go sideways, and some that will have to thread the needle pretty delicately in order not to screw people out of their rights.

Yeah I guess my initial reply was not to the EO but in regards to closing the gun show loophole in general.

Background checks do not stop massacres.
Registration does not stop massacres.
At least they haven't in the UK, where we have the strictest gun control laws in the world.

Cheers

Richard

Background checks do not stop massacres.
Registration does not stop massacres.
At least they haven't in the UK, where we have the strictest gun control laws in the world.

Cheers

Richard

Laws against speeding don't stop speeders.

Let's just get rid of all laws.

;)

I am by no means an Obama fan, but in my opnion the "gun show loophole" needs to be closed. I'm not too sure we don't need to pass some sort of competency test before we can buy. We have to pass a test to get a drivers license. Maybe something similar would actually prevent some of these mental patients from getting their hands on a gun.........OK, now let me have it for suggesting something like that.

Owning and operating a car is not a Constitutional right, owning a gun is. Last time I checked anyway. Are you a "Common Sense" gun law advocate? We're losing our 2nd amendment rights a little at a time, and you want to hasten the process? Any infringement of our 2 amendment rights is unacceptable IMO. And by the way, there is NO "Gunshow Loophole".

Trying to "close the gunshow loophole" is one thing. You have to know what is in the whole bill before you can really tell what it is going to do. There might be one little paragraph on page 7 or 15 of the bill that might cause many to lose the ability to purchase or possess a gun.
Talk of "people on the no-fly list" not being able to buy guns. Great, but no one knows what causes someone to get on that list, and once you are on it, you can't get off of it.

Or, a little clause in the Bill that says if you are late on child support, or late paying your taxes, or whatever they want to say you did that can prevent you from buying or owning a gun.
Just the "loophole for gunshows" is one thing, but Obama won't be happy with that- He wants it all.
Enforce the gun laws that are out there, and don't plea bargain them when the arrestee shows up in Court. Convicted Felons in possession of a firearm, and possessing a firearm while in possession of drugs- both serious 10 year Felonies are the first charges dropped for a plea-deal here in Louisiana.

Owning and operating a car is not a Constitutional right, owning a gun is. Last time I checked anyway. Are you a "Common Sense" gun law advocate? We're losing our 2nd amendment rights a little at a time, and you want to hasten the process? Any infringement of our 2 amendment rights is unacceptable IMO. And by the way, there is NO "Gunshow Loophole".

I beg to differ. There is a "gun show loophole" as it encompasses many things. In particular the fact that I can sell a gun to any person off the street without any background check. At least here in Va. If I buy from a shop or buy online I first have to fill out paperwork. Private sales between individuals don't require this. I can't think of one logical reason to have it that way unless like many of you have said, that every time we give up a little we just get closer to losing the 2nd amendment. I'll concede that, and as I have stated earlier, I don't think this will fix our problems. I just don't think we should make it easy on felons etc. to buy guns.

Illinois already closed it last year I believe. I can't GIVE one of my guns to my own daughter without a background check. Legally. ;)

Gun control, no gun control, background checks, no background checks, legally purchased guns, illegally purchased guns. To me, having grown up just outside of Flint Michigan where gun violence is rampant, both with mentally ill and non mentally ill perpetrators, I have come to my own conclusion. A total lack of respect for one another, human to human, is what I believe to be the ultimate underlying factor to gun violence. Yes, everything else plays a part, but until people begin to respect eachother I don't see how anything drastic changes. Just my .02

Gun control, no gun control, background checks, no background checks, legally purchased guns, illegally purchased guns. To me, having grown up just outside of Flint Michigan where gun violence is rampant, both with mentally ill and non mentally ill perpetrators, I have come to my own conclusion. A total lack of respect for one another, human to human, is what I believe to be the ultimate underlying factor to gun violence. Yes, everything else plays a part, but until people begin to respect eachother I don't see how anything drastic changes. Just my .02

This is probably the best post on this thread, regardless of what your opnion is. Well stated!

Illinois already closed it last year I believe. I can't GIVE one of my guns to my own daughter without a background check. Legally. ;)

So how does that work then? When they're 16 you can do paperwork and do it officially or something. Curious because this goes back to an earlier post about unintended consequences.

Family is treated like a stranger as far as selling or giving a gun. Background checks are required on ALL transfers. Period. We have to go to a FFL holder and pay them to do the paperwork, call, whatever. Haven't done one yet myself, and can't help but wonder how many are being sold "before" the law went into effect.

John Cushman referred to as "Cushy"!?

Jose jumping back into the discourse!

Get out the popcorn and listen up!

Yup, Cushy. Prob not the abbreviation that an ex warrior wanted. Too bad the last name Studsman or (big) Whacker. Again, no malice intended. Now if you were to shorten Dinkshooter's handle... he might have something to bitch about. Not that anyone would listen.

Jose, the southern branch office for the ACLU. I'll pray where ever I want

If some of us are so wrong that we should forfeit our gun ownership, then why SHOULD it be legal for anyone to purchase a gun through private sale without meating any requirements?

I don't know all of the particulars of this executive order and I question there legality. I just don't see where the "gun show loophole" as its called should be the line in the sand. Yes it is a type of registration but no different than what goes on in a gun shop or even on gunbroker.com. Maybe some of you oppose that too and its your opinion. I've seen two arrests because of background checks and the last one went in the police cruiser laughing because there was a gun show coming to town in a few weeks. That thought has never left my mind.

Couldn't respond ealier as I can't remember the password for this place. Had to get on a diff contputer

You are hopelessly naive. The guy was laughing because they play catch and release with these guys. He'll be out in a day because it's societies fault, and he won't be prosecuted, like that guy who sold dozens of guns in chicago and was turned loose at least a couple times because they need someone left out on the street to break the laws to show us they need more.
He's laughing because he wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks for your gun show to find a gun somewhere, background check or not. That's only ther to keep the honest people honest.

The gun control crowd finally found a bumpersticker phrase that that polls well, sounds innoculous and most importantly that they can attach all sorts of restrictions to and jam it through like they have with so much other stuff. The finished product will be much different than the simple background. Gosh, who could possibly oppose that?

I'll get the crayolas out you for you later tonight when I have more time. Although I honestly doubt it'll make a dent based on your prev posts.

I'll leave you with this. I worked at a gun counter in a store well over 10 years ago. The background check isn't the end all you think it is. Dishonest people can get around it.
They don't care about the consequences. They are already criminals

I beg to differ. There is a "gun show loophole" as it encompasses many things. In particular the fact that I can sell a gun to any person off the street without any background check. At least here in Va. If I buy from a shop or buy online I first have to fill out paperwork. Private sales between individuals don't require this. I can't think of one logical reason to have it that way unless like many of you have said, that every time we give up a little we just get closer to losing the 2nd amendment. I'll concede that, and as I have stated earlier, I don't think this will fix our problems. I just don't think we should make it easy on felons etc. to buy guns.

So you advocate abolishing gun sales between private law-abiding citizens? You ought to move to Colorado., it's not legal there. Banning private sales and requiring any paperwork that goes to the Government is called registration. If you buy a gun at a gun show from a private individual who is not a dealer it's just that, a private transaction not a "loophole" no different than if you bought it through a newspaper ad. Quit playing into the GunGrabbers hands.

Back