Yeti GOBOX Collection

Whats our President trying to do to us gun buyers/owners

I have severe PTSD, on top of depression, and social anxiety. Do I deserve to have my guns taken away or not be allowed to buy one due to my mental health issues? Not a single one of my 28 guns in my house have the intention to shoot up a school or a church or a movie theater or a minority...but my mental health issues could keep me from owning and buying guns in the future if these executive orders actually go through? I call bullshit. If my new shrink at the VA is some anti gun liberal and says I'm unfit to own a gun, just because they don't like guns...there goes my guns. I can foresee a lot of abuse of the system if implemented. Yes, something needs to happen to keep people safer, but you can't lawfully come up with a way to rationalize intent. With my mental health issues, I'm not going to harm anyone with my guns, but how many people with intent to harm someone would be honest on a background check to say they intend to commit a crime or harm someone with the gun they are lawfully purchasing? Do you just automatically criminalize people like me, and several thousand veterans with PTSD, and not allow us to own guns due to issues from combat? That's just one example. How do you foresee a person's intent when they purchase a firearm? You can register the hell out of every gun out there and give classes and give stricter background checks and whatnot, but someone with ill intent will still legally buy a firearm and use it for that purpose, no matter what safeguards are in place. So, now what?
I'll add that people will be far less likely to seek treatment if they think it will result in getting their guns taken away (or driver's license, etc.)

If our leaders really want to stop these senseless acts of violence they need to start at the ground floor and make every citizen in our country feel like they matter and that there is hope. I don't even see it as a gun issue. It's a failed society issue. My wife has been teaching kindergarten in a rural school for over 20 years and in that short span of time I see how WE are letting our children down. The class sizes have steadily grown and the instance of drug damaged kids has increased right along with them.

If our President cares about stopping senseless violence they need to start with our children and turn the ship around or nothing they propose will matter. Just the observations of a simple minded fish farmer. When I see Hilary (or any politician) say in frustration that this stuff has to stop I cringe...... not so much because I am worried about losing my guns but because I know they don't get it or care....

Just a politician saying he did something even though the legislation will prevent zero crimes.

Joe's onto the bigger issue with the breakdown of the family structure and values where people do this to each other.

I am by no means an Obama fan, but in my opnion the "gun show loophole" needs to be closed. I'm not too sure we don't need to pass some sort of competency test before we can buy. We have to pass a test to get a drivers license. Maybe something similar would actually prevent some of these mental patients from getting their hands on a gun.........OK, now let me have it for suggesting something like that.

I did. On a long and well written reply but this f'n system kicked me off before I got it sent and lost it. I'll simply say you either have not thought your comments through at all or do not have any idea what can of worms you opened by simply falling for their seemingly innocuous law of back ground checks.
Furthermore, you obvious have not read the legislation that Webb sponsored when they tried to put this up for a vote in congress.
'I strongly suggest you start there. The short version of the legislation is that you become a felon is any of your firearms get out of your possession without somekind of background check

I did. On a long and well written reply but this f'n system kicked me off before I got it sent and lost it. I'll simply say you either have not thought your comments through at all or do not have any idea what can of worms you opened by simply falling for their seemingly innocuous law of back ground checks.
Furthermore, you obvious have not read the legislation that Webb sponsored when they tried to put this up for a vote in congress.
'I strongly suggest you start there. The short version of the legislation is that you become a felon is any of your firearms get out of your possession without somekind of background check

Then explain how in a lot of states you can still post an ad in the classifieds of your local paper to sell a gun and meet a person in the wal mart parking lot and make the transaction with no background check...

It's not a bad idea, the problem with it is that a drivers license is a privilege provided by the citi/state. Where as owning a gun is a constitutional right so that is something anyone wanting a test type law will have to deal with. I'm all for keeping guns away from people who shouldn't have them, the problem is those people don't follow the rules/laws to begin with so adding more checks, competency test, etc wont do much. So the real issue is how do you keep guns away from criminals who don't care about the law anyway and the mentally ill, and some of the people labeled as mentally ill aren't actually labeled that until the go off on a shooting spree, you always hear the "he was a nice kid" story. I've never looked it up but anyone know what the crime rate is for states/cities that have minimal gun control vs those that have a lot of gun control?

Try Chicago for starters. Toughest gun laws in the country and the highest death rate via shootings, thanks to the gang bangers. They could slow it down but don't want to. Should give you some idea of where they are coming from. This isnt about public safety as it is about an ideology and you're ready to make it happen for them

Then explain how in a lot of states you can still post an ad in the classifieds of your local paper to sell a gun and meet a person in the wal mart parking lot and make the transaction with no background check...

You still can Cushy. Luckily it never made it to the floor for a vote.

Closing the gun show loophole is registration. Those who aren't smart enough to recognize the same prolly shouldn't own a gun given their utter lack to see what's coming.

As John says,here in Michigan you can sell your long gun to another person with no paper trail required. Isee it at the Flea markets in the summer all the time.I have bought some myself and seller does not even ask myname until I ask for a receipt.

If some of us are so wrong that we should forfeit our gun ownership, then why SHOULD it be legal for anyone to purchase a gun through private sale without meating any requirements?

I don't know all of the particulars of this executive order and I question there legality. I just don't see where the "gun show loophole" as its called should be the line in the sand. Yes it is a type of registration but no different than what goes on in a gun shop or even on gunbroker.com. Maybe some of you oppose that too and its your opinion. I've seen two arrests because of background checks and the last one went in the police cruiser laughing because there was a gun show coming to town in a few weeks. That thought has never left my mind.

A little bitty tear let me down, /
Spoiled my act as a clown /
I had it made up not make a frown, /
But a little bitty tear let me down

It seems that he is trying to end the gun show loophole by expanding background checks to private sales. In Colorado, where I live, It won't do much because we already have a law that requires background checks for that type of sale. Other than that, I don't think he is really doing much. Other than taking all of our guns away.

Exactly, this president and his administration (and in-power dems in general) are masters of sleight-of-hand tricks to gradually erode your rights, one little thing at a time. Colorado's "gun show loophole" was closed in 2001, and it hasn't made a lick of difference in reducing the number of criminals who go out and shoot people. People think that little laws passed here and there won't affect them, until one day they go out and can't buy a gun at all, or ammo, or a bow, or hunt, or fish...pay attention people!

Closing the gun show loophole is registration. Those who aren't smart enough to recognize the same prolly shouldn't own a gun given their utter lack to see what's coming.

When calling in a NICS background check, the make, model or serial number of the gun being purchased are not disclosed. It is purely a background check on the person buying the gun.
Maybe I am missing something but how is a background check registration?

When calling in a NICS background check, the make, model or serial number of the gun being purchased are not disclosed. It is purely a background check on the person buying the gun.
Maybe I am missing something but how is a background check registration?

Exactly the case. The only way the ATF knows who buys the gun is if they come to the place it was received from the factory and ask for the records for the gun. The only thing you tell them is the personal information of the buyer and whether it is a long gun or handgun. At least that is how it was when I was selling them a few years back.

I guess no matter how this turns out in the end there will always be some kind of abuse.It is the society we live in.
No praying in our schools
No pledge allegence to our flag
We do not need a democrat or a republican in the Whitehouse,we need an AMERICAN !!

How about you do your praying in church, and save the schools for teaching reading, writing, and 'rithmatic?

My kids pray at school, athletic activites, etc.

Just because a teacher isn't leading it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Back