Whats important

teamhoyt

Well my 14' deer season was not one I'll soon forget, it certainly come with its fair share of challenges. This was the first year my daughter was able to hunt and along with that her friends first year as well. They had been pretty excited after completing hunter safety this spring, but when they realized what time you have to wake up to go hunting it may have lost a bit of its novelty! either way it was safe to assume that time for filling my tag would be limited and I wouldn't have it any other way. getting these 2 young ladies on their first deer was top priority. Well opening morning found my daughter and I overlooking a nice canyon and just as the sun come up she had an opportunity on a really good buck but didn't connect. As season continued we went out several more times but weren't able to get everything lined up on a decent sized buck. Nov. 15 we woke up early to give it another shot, but as my daughter got out of bed she kept falling down, she could literally walk 5 steps and would fall like her knees were giving out. She was kinda laughing and joking about her legs not working but we both thought maybe she had just slept wrong and her legs were asleep. I helped her to the truck and off we went, After a couple hours we had found a small buck and she wanted to go after it but said her legs were tired. I really became concerned so we heading to town to the ER and by that time she had lost the movement completely in both legs. She spent the next 3 weeks in the hospital in Billings and Salt Lake and is now home and able to walk slowly and no longer needs a wheelchair. This was the worst 3 weeks of my life but I am thankful that things are turning around. I can't imagine being 12 years old and waking up one morning and just can't walk. the fact that she can now is a miracle for sure. Well during the week days I had to be at work and have my other 2 daughters in school but I was able to sneak in a couple short trips for myself and her friend. here are the pics. My girl was able to take her first antelope this year and is already looking forward to next season. During those few weeks I remember reflecting back on all of the times I've yelled at the kids to quit running around or to sit down and behave and how all I could wish for now was to be able to walk again. Sure puts a different perspective on whats important.

Attachments

• charlee deer.jpg
    charlee deer.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 632
  • my 14 deer.jpg
    my 14 deer.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 638
  • austyn ant.jpg
    austyn ant.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 635
Scary stuff. Glad to hear she is improving. You both killed good looking deer.No doubt your daughter will remember this season forever.

Dang, that's scary stuff. Sure hope she recovers completely. Nice bucks and pics. Congrats to the hunters.

Congrats to the girls, and you!!!
Hope and pray for a complete recovery.

Wow, scary stuff. I'm glad she is doing better, and I hope she has a full recovery.

I hope your daughter has a speedy and complete recovery! Congrats on getting the two of them started. Well done!

An extra prayer is sent to your family this holiday day season. Thanks for sharing.

First, I hope your daughter makes a full recovery without any lasting problems.
Second, great post to remind us of what is important and to keep things in perspective.
And lastly, great bucks!

Back