What rifle?

blue devil

My father-in-law is looking for a rifle to be an heirloom quality firearm, but something he can use every season until he passes it down. Looking for suggestions on a rifle that looks good and also shoots well, with a smooth action. I am a Ruger#1 fan, but he wants a bolt action, so my single shot suggestion wasn't received with enthusiasm.

Price range is $500 - $2,000

Cooper, Kimber, Sako, Weatherby, Rem 700 CDL,...I hope they bring #1B's back to production.

Either one of the upgraded Kimbers or a cooper would be hard to beat. Beautiful American guns that not everyone has.

My first rifle was the Browning my father passed to me when I turned 12 and is the same rifle I'm passing to my son tomorrow as he will be 12 and ready for his first hunt. Gotta say the Browning has held up well shoots straight and is still wonderful to look at.

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker for function or Medallion for looks. Either one will be a tack driver out of the box and he can adjust the trigger himself with just a screwdriver down to about 2 1/2 lbs. You can put a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 on it and be under $2,000 all up.

So many rifles, such tough choices.

A Cooper is a fine choice.

You could also go the used route with something that has collector value as well. A very nice pre-64 winchester Model 70, a 1st generation Remington Ti, even a New Haven Super Grade.

In my opinion, who ever inherits the rifle will not care what type it is but who they inherited it from and the memories that are associated with it.

You could get him a whole bunch of Mumms.... or Savage Axis' :)

Just kidding a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight would be my pick.

In my opinion, who ever inherits the rifle will not care what type it is but who they inherited it from and the memories that are associated with it.

This. After inheriting a couple dozen firearms running the gamut from cheap single shots to british double rifles, the only thing that matters is the memory associated with the gun.

As said above, it's not the brand but the gun itself. I inherited some a cpl yrs ago, valued from a cpl hundred dollars to a cpl thousand. My favorite is probably the cheapest of the lot. It was the gun my dad used for all his deer and elk and I was with him the last time he used it. I'll part with guns I bought long before any he gave me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back