Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Should I buy a .338?

MTLabrador

I just discovered an old tang safety Ruger M77 in .338, in very good condition, with a nice smooth action, nice wood, and good iron sights. The original red recoil pad would be replaced with a red pachmayr if I bought it, and it’s nice and heavy, which I like in something that snorts as much as a .338. It’s a classy looking rifle, and I’ve been getting back into a wood and blued kick lately.

When I picked it up I imagined riding a horse (I don’t even own a horse) into my favorite elk spot in the Redacted Range, sleeping in my wall tent with a roaring stove, killing a nice 6 point bull on a clear morning, and then stopping a charging grizzly in its tracks on my way out.

I know the .338 is completely unnecessary and my .270 would kill the imaginary griz just as easily. I certainly don’t need another rifle at all. But it would be a fun project to tinker with and an absolute stomper for moose, large bears, bison, and other such beasts. I have always been interested in the .338 and I like the panache of a medium bore. @Ben Lamb and @BuzzH, I know I have seen you both discuss the .338 before. Am I crazy?

When I picked it up I imagined riding a horse (I don’t even own a horse) into my favorite elk spot in the Redacted Range, sleeping in my wall tent with a roaring stove, killing a nice 6 point bull on a clear morning, and then stopping a charging grizzly in its tracks on my way out.

You can’t write this and not buy it.

I have one. Weatherby vanguard sub- moa model. I can shoot 10 rounds at the bench and im done. I can shoot around 20 rounds from my 300 wm. I find 3.5 inch turkey loads to be more punishing. I have thought about selling it but hold on to it as it may make a trip to africa someday I vote buy it.

My only complaint with a .338 is the things kick more than they have a right to. As mentioned, no fun on the bench. I shot one almost exclusively for about 15 years. Killed lots of animals with it. Primarily shot 250 grain partitions, dabbled in the 200 grain BTs for a while.

Lots of things to like about a .338, just wish they were more fun to shoot.

I hunted with the same gun for several years starting when I was about 16. I shot mostly 210 partitions. I killed my first several elk with it. I eventually thought that I needed something that shot flatter, but that was before we had range finders.

I really like the tang safety Rugers. The one that I had didn't shoot real well by today's standards but I have been around others that did.
Buy it, you only live once.

Buy it for sure! You already want it, need it, and already know where big game will be harvested with it. The stories are just waiting to be told.
Just know that we will be disappointed if you don't purchase it. We as HT family need you to buy it.

Take the gun, leave the cannolis.

Aside from load development, how much bench time are you really going have with it? A PAST recoil pad takes the beast on the bench anyways. Good technique can also help.

A 225 grain pill at 2900 fps is wicked good on game. 270's are great, but why drive a Corvair when you could be driving an Olds 442?

338 WM's are loud, powerful & mean. They have wonderful terminal performance & in some instances, they provide comfort in knowing you're the apex predator in the woods, despite what your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hoody says.

200w (11).gif

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back