What muzzleloader to order?

I might have found a smith willing to fix my Great Plains Rifle, but if he can't the new Pedersoli models are tempting.

I might have found a smith willing to fix my Great Plains Rifle, but if he can't the new Pedersoli models are tempting.
What's its problem? They are pretty simple guns in the end. What do you need? (no, I'm not a gunsmith, but I pretend to be one on the internet sometimes...).

If it is a .54 cal roundball gun and in otherwise good shape, I might know a buyer if that helps you chase the Pedersoli (I'm an enabler too :))

What's its problem? They are pretty simple guns in the end. What do you need? (no, I'm not a gunsmith, but I pretend to be one on the internet sometimes...).

If it is a .54 cal roundball gun and in otherwise good shape, I might know a buyer if that helps you chase the Pedersoli (I'm an enabler too :))

I need someone to rethread the breech plug. So far I have only found the one smith even willing to return a call or email about it. It is a .54 slow twist. My dad and I put it together, so I would like to get it working again.

I need someone to rethread the breech plug. So far I have only found the one smith even willing to return a call or email about it. It is a .54 slow twist. My dad and I put it together, so I would like to get it working again.

Ouch! Of all the problems to have, this is the hardest one to fix I think. How did it get messed up? How messed up is it?

It would be challenging for sure since you can't really rethread it per se. You would have to cut the barrel, set it back and rethread and that's assuming the plug is okay. Is the barrel or the plug or both the problem?

Man, i just don't know, but I would start by calling Lyman and seeing if they have a spare plug for the old models lying about (alternatively, calling Investment Arms that made it may be worth doing). But if the problem is in the barrel, a new plug is not the answer, of course.

Ouch! Of all the problems to have, this is the hardest one to fix I think. How did it get messed up? How messed up is it?

It would be challenging for sure since you can't really rethread it per se. You would have to cut the barrel, set it back and rethread and that's assuming the plug is okay. Is the barrel or the plug or both the problem?

Man, i just don't know, but I would start by calling Lyman and seeing if they have a spare plug for the old models lying about (alternatively, calling Investment Arms that made it may be worth doing). But if the problem is in the barrel, a new plug is not the answer, of course.

I didn't describe it well. The thread for the nipple stripped which seems like it would be an easy fix. Just not worth their time I guess.

I didn't describe it well. The thread for the nipple stripped which seems like it would be an easy fix. Just not worth their time I guess.
Yeah, I suspect that is the problem. They just aren't interested. So, this is much simpler. The threads on your nipple are metric - at least they were originally. Did you try to put a standard, American, 1/4" nipple in? In any event, now you need an oversized nipple (trackofthewolf.com should have them). In the worst scenario, you may have to drill out the bolster, thread in a liner and then thread that for a standard nipple- if there is enough metal for that.

This is a bit of a longshot, but you might email or call ToW and talk to them. The part can be fixed, if it can be fixed, without the rest of the rifle so you simply mail it off to a smith they would suggest. If you aren't comfortable pulling and later reinstalling the breech plug from the barrel then mail the plug-barrel together.

You might get someone at a local machine shop to do this for you. This does not require a gunsmith per se. Just someone that can drill and tap threads at a specific angle. But get a new nipple or three first.

Last edited:
Oversized nipples are here

Look at pages 2 and 3. Buy several when you do. Elsewhere in their gun building tools you should be able to find taps and drills for this job.

If this were my gun, I would attempt the fix myself. But if you haven't done threading work, don't have a drill press and appropriate vice, then do not make this your first attempt. Find a machinist that can do it for you.

Is it okay to use electrical tape over the end of a .54 or ? Basically for the same reasons done on regular rifles... weather, keep from a pine needle(s) dropping down the barrel, etc.

Couple Q's:
1. any concern to use electrical tape over the muzzle end?
2. I'd like to get a sheath of some sort that is light weight enough to reduce impressions into the stock and water proof... Something possible to sling for carry that can encompass the other items necessary?

This is for the next Bob sled this season... So minimal weight and carry ability would be great.

I got TC Omega years ago. Great MZ and I never understood what happened to them. Never hear about TC's anymore. I shoot sabots with a scope & BH209.
At the time CVA was having big problems.Now half the models are CVA or folks going back to Hawken flintlock stuff.
I would not trade that Omega for anything.Very accurate & works for elk.

I do use electrical tape over all my muzzle ends.

I got TC Omega years ago. Great MZ and I never understood what happened to them. Never hear about TC's anymore. I shoot sabots with a scope & BH209.
At the time CVA was having big problems.Now half the models are CVA or folks going back to Hawken flintlock stuff.
I would not trade that Omega for anything.Very accurate & works for elk.

I do use electrical tape over all my muzzle ends.
^^^This! I also have a T/C Omega .50 in stainless/laminate that I bought new many years ago. Awesome rifle, never a hang fire or misfire, super accurate and consistent. I use BH 209 (100 gr.) and Hornady SST sabots (250 gr.), topped with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x 50 scope.

Last edited:
^^^This! I also have a T/C Omega .50 in stainless/laminate that I bought new many years ago. Awesome rifle, never a hang fire or misfire, super accurate and consistent. I use BH 209 (100 gr.) and Hornady SST sabots (250 gr.), topped with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x 50 scope.
What's a hangfire? lol Mine has fired after downpours.
I think I paid $165 NIB. The Nikon BDC cost twice that.

Also own a CVA Acura v2 which I am extremely pleased with. My buddy has a CVA wolf which is lighter but the stock and finish is not nearly as nice... however it’s still very accurate.

I had a TC Omega and was very unhappy with it. It would only group with sabots which aren’t legal in CO. I spent a lot of time with other rounds trying to find something that will work and it literally would frequently miss the target at 100 yards. No problems like that with my CVA, it groups well with everything I have thrown at it.

Last edited:
Couple Q's:
2. I'd like to get a sheath of some sort that is light weight enough to reduce impressions into the stock and water proof... Something possible to sling for carry that can encompass the other items necessary?

This is for the next Bob sled this season... So minimal weight and carry ability would be great.
I use the tape for my TC Hawken and never had a problem. As for a case not to sure what you have in mind or what rifle you would be using.

Couple Q's:

1. I've used electrical tape on my Accura MR without any issues

2. Check out the Solohunter rifle cover

Also own a CVA Acura v2 which I am extremely pleased with. My buddy has a CVA wolf which is lighter but the stock and finish is not nearly as nice... however it’s still very accurate.

I had a TC Omega and was very unhappy with it. It would only group with sabots which aren’t legal in CO. I spent a lot of time with other rounds trying to find something that will work and it literally would frequently miss the target at 100 yards. No problems like that with my CVA, it groups well with everything I have thrown at it.
Truth!....T/C’s hate bore sized conicals!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back