Caribou Gear Tarp

What muzzleloader to order?

Mule man

Wanting to buy a muzzleloader That would be compliant with most states even if I had to buy the conversion kit? Might be asking to much but would like it lite and one I could add a rail to. Not really up on whats out there? Any suggestions?

I have the CVA accura v2. I bought the one with sights. Picked up a NW breech plug as well as a blackhorn one. It is tapped for a scope just need to buy the mount. So it can hunt with a scope and sabots in places where legal, open sights in CO, and open firing system like in Idaho. It is about the same weight a an average hunting rifle.

That’s the one I want, probably go with the hunter model.
I will always point toward the longer twist for patched round ball, but if you want to shoot bullets or sabots you will need the shorter twist. You might want to consider an older Thompson Center - I found a Renegade for my wife that looked like it had never been shot for $300 shipped. Any of the TC Hawken or Renegade with the 1:44 twist would work well for bullets, and would be half the cost of a new Lyman. You just have to look - a lot of folks bought these back in the '80s and 90's and just have them sitting in the safe or the back of the closet, not shot in 25 or more years.

.45 CVA Accura long range. 110-120 grains blackhorn 209 powder pushing a 260 grain .40 Precision Rifle, Dead Center bullet....just a combo I've been day dreaming about lately. I do have the old Accura and love it. It shoots about 1" groups at 100 yards, and has never let me down.

Take a look at the Woodman Patriot rifle. Either .45 or .50, 5.5 lbs, no exposed hammer (waterproof), can order left or right crossbolt safety, 24" McGowen stainless steel barrels coated with Melonite = no more corrosion. I am shooting cloverleafs at 100 yards using 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209, a 225 grain star point bullet marketed by Woodman, and a Remington 209 primer. Several in my group have purchased these. Accuracy is the same with each of them. I fired it 30 times without cleaning. # 30 loaded just as easily as #2. Not cheap... they start at $800.00. Small company out of New Hampshire. I have owned TCs and Knights. I have shot several other brands. Lots of good stuff on the market ! Woodman offers a rail mount.

Wal-Mart usually marks down their muzzleloaders big time this time of year. I ended up with two Traditions muzzleloaders, a G4 ultra-light and a Buckstalker, less than $100 each. Crazy deal. I also bought two extras for my girls to grow into.

I set one up with a scope and the other to be Colorado compliant. I'm not familiar with the rules in the NW, so I don't know if I could use one there or not. I shoot the same loads in each to keep things simple.

I've killed deer in Colorado, Kansas, and Indiana with the pair now.

If you're a CVA man, they get similar mark downs.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/2/LYMAN-GPS-54-P

or

or, better yet,
The custom rifle is nice. The Lyman is a pretty good price, given the price of the Lymans on the shelf today/

After the discussions of traditional muzzleloaders hitting our forum of recent, I'm really pumped to get back into this world.
Many, MANY years ago, two decades +, I bought and had a blast assembling a Hawkins kit. Long since sold and used for shooting range use. Never hunted with it nor any other traditional muzzleloader.

I'm setting up/planning this year's sled adventure into the Bob for 10 days with many adaptive measures learned including a small sled. Yep... in this case, with recent testing, and necessities for 10 days, a small sled immensely improved tracking while pulling vs prior year's longer sleds... meh, beside the point.

I had my eye on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle with the 32″ octagonal barrel, 1:60″ twist. Anyone use or have thoughts?

After the discussions of traditional muzzleloaders hitting our forum of recent, I'm really pumped to get back into this world.
Many, MANY years ago, two decades +, I bought and had a blast assembling a Hawkins kit. Long since sold and used for shooting range use. Never hunted with it nor any other traditional muzzleloader.

I'm setting up/planning this year's sled adventure into the Bob for 10 days with many adaptive measures learned including a small sled. Yep... in this case, with recent testing, and necessities for 10 days, a small sled immensely improved tracking while pulling vs prior year's longer sleds... meh, beside the point.

I had my eye on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle with the 32″ octagonal barrel, 1:60″ twist. Anyone use or have thoughts?
I'm trying to help a former grad student corner one since they are among the best of the off-the-shelf guns. Hard to find used or new, and prices are high.

In Colorado, for a roundball gun to be legal for elk, it has to be .54 or more. 50s' bounce off apparently. Something to keep in mind.

Browning Mountain Rifles have a very good reputation also, and go for a bit more than the Lymans.

Many kit built rifles are out there, if you keep your eye open, you may find a used homebuilt. I found one a year ago with a Bill Large barrel that was pretty nice. A bit more expensive than the Browning.

Or, throw caution out the window and dial up Brant Selb in Oregon and order one from him. You won't regret it.

I ended up with the Lyman Great Plains .54 percussion mentioned above. I was half tempted to go with a flintlock version though figured for a first timer traditional muzzleloader hunt rifle... less complications, the better.

Purchased via Grafs & Sons.

As mentioned, prepping for the Bob early rifle. I know, I can use any - though wilderness, sled hell, 10 days... what could go wrong, right? Haha! It's going to be a good time.

Tips for sighting in, distance, prep setting, specifics to purchase for the focus on hunting with?

With a roundball, I'd sight in for 100 yds. You won't have to think about it out to 125 and that's really about as far as I would chance it with roundballs. They have poor ballistics so they shed energy like a lab sheds a winter coat.

Most guys start with a light load and work up until they get good accuracy, but here, you might want to start fairly light (say 80 grs of the true black), and go up from there until accuracy falls apart.

Simple speed loaders are often pretty useful. Or some lab vials if you have access to them. They can be filled with powder, patch and ball, or just powder, and you load patch and ball from some other source (zip lock?). But they will all fit tidily in a good speed loader.

You want a cap dispenser (Ted Cash Rifle priming tool).

535" roundballs (Hornady from Buffalo Arms - they had some 2 weeks ago), and 0.015" prelubed patches. Sort starter. Threaded ball puller (for when, not if, you dry ball). Jag and maybe a .30 cal or slightly larger nylon brush (to brush out the powder channel in the breach plug with the ramrod).

Nipple wrench and either some grease or some teflon tape for the nipple (I like choke tube grease - I think it Beechwood Casey) for the nipple threads (never past the last thread).

Lace on, rifle sling - maybe. Takes some set up.
Clean your gun at the range. Then, just to be sure you did it well, run a patch or two the next day or two to be sure. There are LOTS of ways to clean your gun. I can recommend a few, but let me know.

Older t/c for sabots, older knight for bore size conicals. Stainless barrels, less chance Of pitting due to lack of care by previous owners

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back