What is your favorite "genre" of firearms?

G

Guest member 25165

I am a shotgun guy through and through. I love beautiful wood O/U, side by sides, and even wood stocked semi-auto's. I love upland hunting, trap, sporting clays, and 5 stand. I have a few rifles, but hunting shots where I live are usually no more than 250 yards. Although I've owned both handguns and muzzleloaders, they just never did it for me.

So what types of firearms are you drawn to?

For many years shotguns and classic hunter lever guns would have been my 1 and 2 easily - essentially for the same reasons you raise. More recently long range target bolt guns for the range are my top interest. Hunting bolt guns are fine but they don't capture a lot of passion for me. I have a bunch of handguns, but find them utilitarian and non-exciting either. AR-platform firearms have never held any interest for me even though I have a couple.

Last edited:
Rifles of all kinds as long as they are traditional looking. Even though I do have a few MSR's they don't do anything for me and unattractive. I really like high end rifles with specific features to reduce weight and increase accuracy. I also am not a one size rifle guy. I have a rifle for every species I hunt. ( its a problem) I do have a few guns I consider combo, do all guns but they are kinda boring. I like to carry different guns throughout the year.

Well you gotta have the shotgun for shooting Trap right. Then you get bored with Trap so you gotta have a skeet gun. Then you get bored with skeet so you get a sporting clays gun. Well shotguns mostly. Currently the very accurate long range bolt guns excite me as I like to shoot stuff far away. Its so much more fun than shooting paper>>>> putting steel out there or propane tanks at 700-1200 yrds and farther and smacking the steel or tanks. Thank god I live in America.

I like more traditional firearms moreso than the newer stuff. I'm really drawn to classic shotguns moreso than any others, but classic rifles that were common in the northeastern deer woods always get my attention regardless of action. Model 70s, 700s, 750s, 7600s, Marlins, Winchester 94 and 92s, ithaca 37s (I know it's a shotgun, but it's a Northeastern classic) etc.

Accurate bolt action centerfires with synthetic stocks. If it weren't for turkeys, I would barely need a shotgun. Have never owned a pistol.

I like this topic...
Remington 700 Hunting Rifles in 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06. I can't even bring myself to go with a 300 Win Mag because it just seems blasphemous in a Remington 700, which I know makes no sense. Hey, I'd also never get a Win M70 in 7mm Rem Mag...
BUT, also love lever action 30-30s, as long as it's a Winchester 94 or Henry.
As OCD as I am about hunting rifles (have several as I'm always looking for "The One") I'm perfectly content with one basic Rem 870 shotgun for everything for which you'd use a shotgun (all hunting and clays).

Addendum #1....quality O/U shotty & 40 year old A5 tied with S&W Revolvers....Castle Keep slide handguns & tac shoulder bangsticks bring up the rear.

I grew up doing a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting, so I have a soft spot for those pre 1899 guns. I like old double barrels, and single action revolvers. Though it isn't pre 1899, someday when I have the money, probably when my kids are gone, I would like a BLR in .358, and I will quit buying guns after that. I've shot a pile of deer with my .44 mag Winchester Trapper, but a lever gun in a larger caliber sounds sexy to me.

My favorites are whatever implement gets me drawn on more hunts. Some years my favorite is a muzzleloader, some years rifle, some years archery gear. In general I like wooden stocked guns that have some history, but I also own some plastic too. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another wood stocked waterfowl gun...they just take to much abuse 1-2 cases of shells a year and lot of wet, dirt, blood, freezing and thawing.

I do love lever guns. I don't have a Winchester yet - but I am always looking. In no particular order I've got - Marlin (.444 Marlin), Browning BLR81 (.308), Rossi .45 LC (Win94 replica), and just picked up a youth model Henry .22 "for the kids". Only the Browning is scoped.

All falling block's, currently have a Ruger no1 in .338WM. But....

I do like 70's vintage Sako's. The Forester is one of my favorites.

Here is mine.....

Big and Small game hunting- Bolt guns with synthetic stocks. For me there is something intimate about the contemplation of the shot and the cycling of the bolt. I would have this listed with a gorgeous, figured walnut stock but as a hack wood worker I am so enamored with the wood that I just couldn't shoot and carry them as I do synth's.

Shotguns- I have only recently gotten my own shotguns after sampling quite a few. Way back when I was an LEO I carried an 870. It was perfectly functional and utilitarian but it felt industrial and unrefined. On a few waterfowl excursions I have had the good fortune of shooting SBEs and love them but can't get around the $$$$$. That brings my to my Nova. I've run it for 2 seasons now and it has functioned flawlessly and I have become to really love the rotating bolt and how the action feels. To top that off I took a deer last fall with it for utilities sake :)

Emotions- MSR/AR/Black Rifles....however folks describe them. I would think that a lot of Vets may have some of this similar line of feeling/thinking. M16A2s and later M4s were a part of my life for 21 years. It is hard to tell how many thousands of rounds I put through them. I used them in forms from the most basic, bare, post Vietnam A2s in BCT that rattled when you marched with them to the high speed, SOF, Crane-barrelled, farkeled-up M4s I deployed with. I shot them on 3 continents, from below zero temps to the 120s, woodlands to swamps to deserts. I know exactly where things are. I can break in down to the bolt carrier group in the dark. I know what the sounds are and what they mean. I am utterly confident in them. I just got my own Suzy and I have to admit it felt like "dang....THAT is what I have been missing!!" ever since I retired. Sometimes I remember the atmosphere of the range, the smell, the excitement and the dread of the GI party to come!!

Attachments

• range stuff 007.JPG
    range stuff 007.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
I personally have a strange attraction to high end bolt action hunting rifles. It seems like that’s the first thing I look at shortly after entering a sporting goods store. Currently I’m getting ready to splurge on a purchase and have it narrowed down to either a Barrett Fieldcraft or a Kimber Mountain Ascent.

Back