Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Suggestions for a quail gun?

I agree- they’re fantastic guns. But I have two squarebacks, and they’re just not my favorite design to shoot.

Ok, then my other option would be the other low country/hi-line gun that I have which is my 20 gauge Browning Citori O/U. Classic gun, and shoots amazing as well.
I think you are wanting everyone to tell you why you need you a good O/U or SxS. I encourage it strongly.

I wish I'd done that 40 Years ago
You and me both. I went for a fitting over in Boise about a month ago. Started with the TRY gun set up like an off the shelf gun, for that right handed 5’10’’ 180 pound guy. I’m left handed. We were shooting on a sporting clays course. Started shooting about 70% with big pieces. As the fit was changed I started hitting more birds and crushing them. At the end of the day after the gun had been manipulated to fit I was absolutely smoking difficult shots. If I recall there were 16 different measurements taken for the butt stock.
The guys at upland gun sent me three photos of stock blanks to choose from. None caught my fancy. They picked out three more, Think I picked one that is really going to look nice. Couple days later they sent me pics of four more blanks to look at. The one I picked and three I hadn’t seen. I stayed with the one I had already picked. Hopefull it will be here by September.

It appears I’m in the market for what I would call a quail gun, that would bring a touch of class to my outdoor activities (and some fundraiser shoots). Looking for a 20ga with a 26” barrel, wood furniture, fairly light, hopefully a semi-auto. Had my heart set on a beretta a400 upland, but I’ve read some bad reviews on them while waiting on a sale/good used buy. Dad is trying to sell me on a O/U, but I like having a third shot (since I like to miss).

Can anybody recommend something that fits the bill without making you go broke?
I love my beretta semi auto (in above freezing temperatures) and my benelli semi auto (cycles dirty in subzero temps) for doves, waterfowl and turkey but for fast flushing birds like quail a fast swinging double barreled 20 or 28 ga is where it’s at. My favorite for this is a ruger red label 20 ga o/u-swings like a magic wand and makes me look better than I am. I’ve used my classy old remington 11-48 in 28ga for flushing birds (i also shoot this very well) but I never put a 3rd shell in it unless of course shooting doves or wood ducks.

Don't think you can go wrong with Beretta, Franchi, or Browning. Personally, as a left, the Benellis never fit me so I can't personally recommend them. I'm in favor of the O/U vs semi but it's your choice. Not sure about where you are but there's more 28ga ammo on the shelves around here then I have ever seen before. 20ga is in short supply. I would disregard the comments you read about the A400. I've shot and owned several Berettas and they are amazing shotguns.

It appears I’m in the market for what I would call a quail gun, that would bring a touch of class to my outdoor activities (and some fundraiser shoots). Looking for a 20ga with a 26” barrel, wood furniture, fairly light, hopefully a semi-auto. Had my heart set on a beretta a400 upland, but I’ve read some bad reviews on them while waiting on a sale/good used buy. Dad is trying to sell me on a O/U, but I like having a third shot (since I like to miss).

Can anybody recommend something that fits the bill without making you go broke?
Consider Vintage Doubles. (https://www.vintagedoubles.com/) This guy knows quality older doubles and many are very affordable, often a high quality gun for close to the same price as a newer higher, but not custom, grade double. F&S ran an article on him. Good luck and happy hunting.

Browning has just come out with the A5 in 20 ga. Being a 5lb 9 oz autoloader with beautiful wood that holds 4 2-3/4 inch shells in the tube it should check all the boxes you listed. IMG_5295.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Su Sal
Back