Thinking of buying an O/A shotgun

It almost blew a baseball sized hole in the Hen that jumped up 15 feet to my left yesterday morning.

I just slapped this together today just to show what is possible. Will I use it? No!

Germans carried their shotguns w/slings. Lots of German/Austrian/Belgian guns come w/ sling studs/sling loops.

Don't listen to the haters, you do you.

Germans carried their shotguns w/slings. Lots of German/Austrian/Belgian guns come w/ sling studs/sling loops.

Don't listen to the haters, you do you.
I tried the sling and found I really didn’t care for it. That’s for chukars though. Pheasant I don’t think it would bother me.

I just slapped this together today just to show what is possible. Will I use it? No!
I mean no harm...honestly. Just trying to add a little light hearted humor. If the sling is a convenience for you or your partners, who am I to judge. I agree with Ben...you do you.

I mean no harm...honestly. Just trying to add a little light hearted humor. If the sling is a convenience for you or your partners, who am I to judge. I agree with Ben...you do you.
Honestly, I have never had a sling on a shotgun of any type in my life. One hunting partner had one on his 10 Gauge because of the weight of the gun. I saw no advantage to that even because we would take a canoe into our waterfowl hunting spots. He never used the sling except for carrying the gun from the truck to the canoe on the shore line. Maybe it was so he could carry other gear in his hands and the gun at the same time. LOL.

A sling on a shotgun has many advantages ... and some disadvantages ... sometimes. That's why they make detachable slings. I almost never have the sling on my shotgun when waterfowl hunting. Sometimes for jump shooting involving long walks I'll shoulder the gun. When the fields are muddy I push my decoys out to setup spot using a modified 3-wheel golf cart. Then I appreciate snapping on the sling to free up my hands. For the long walk out after a day of hunting, whether upland or waterfowl, it is nice to have hands free, especially if weather is cold or wet. I can keep them warmer tucked inside my coat or game vest out of the elements. It helps immensely when low on energy to cross sling the gun so both arms are free to swing in rhythm with legs while walking out late. The pendulum effect I estimate conserves at least 25% energy. Got me out of a couple of jams. Like some of you I never appreciated the utilility of a shotgun sling until the goose cart came along and forced me to.

Honestly, I have never had a sling on a shotgun of any type in my life. One hunting partner had one on his 10 Gauge because of the weight of the gun. I saw no advantage to that even because we would take a canoe into our waterfowl hunting spots. He never used the sling except for carrying the gun from the truck to the canoe on the shore line. Maybe it was so he could carry other gear in his hands and the gun at the same time. LOL.
Deer and turkey hunters rarely do not have slings on their shotguns. A whole lot of walking is usually involved in those pursuits.

Probably good that you don't. Vent ribs are typically not very tough. I have seen several knocked loose from their moorings, even on expensive guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back