Gun Regulation Survey

Except for that hand grenade/tank thing - which seems like a big point of disagreement ;)
Funny, but in the USA, you CAN own:
1) hand grenade
2) retired armored vehicles (tanks included)
3) a bazooka
4) A John Moses Browning "Ma Deuce" .50 caliber machine gun
5) short barreled shotguns

All these accoutrements (and others!) CAN be acquired, legally, with the purchase of a proper license.

Funny, but in the USA, you CAN own:
1) hand grenade
2) retired armored vehicles (tanks included)
3) a bazooka
4) A John Moses Browning "Ma Deuce" .50 caliber machine gun
5) short barreled shotguns

All these accoutrements (and others!) CAN be acquired, legally, with the purchase of a proper license.
Yup - funny, but the post it was referring to said, "Yes or No, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, . . . " The licensing process you reference is a process for "limiting access". So the question was, are you ok with that process?

Also, the smiley signals a moment of internet levity or "tongue in cheeck", not some monumental statement of truth or fact ;)

Yup - funny, but the post it was referring to said, "Yes or No, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, . . . " The licensing process you reference is a process for "limiting access". So the question was, are you ok with that process?

Also, the smiley signals a moment of internet levity or "tongue in cheeck", not some monumental statement of truth or fact ;)
Would like to have a tank!
I've got bad shoulders, no thanks on the grenade thing.

YES: I think you're a supercilious twit.
NO: I don't think there should be any gun regulations

The United States of America had no gun laws from 1776 until 1934, that's 158 years and we did just fine.
Over the last 87 years, the 2A and the "...right to keep and bear arms. ..." has been under attack by liberals who wish to disarm American citizens through chicanery, rhetoric and all out falsehoods.
Not sure what you think you're trying to accomplish other than to drive an anti-gun agenda forward.

You actually sound like some sort of two-bit, ambulance chasing lawyer who would sue his own mother for her last dime because she forgot to trim the crust off your sandwich in the 3rd grade.

The United States of America had no gun laws from 1776 until 1934, that's 158 years and we did just fine.
Over the last 87 years, the 2A and the "...right to keep and bear arms. ..." has been under attack by liberals who wish to disarm American citizens through chicanery, rhetoric and all out falsehoods.
Not sure what you think you're trying to accomplish other than to drive an anti-gun agenda forward.

You actually sound like some sort of two-bit, ambulance chasing lawyer who would sue his own mother for her last dime because she forgot to trim the crust off your sandwich in the 3rd grade.
Keeping it classy I see.

For the benefit of the historical record, there were a significant number of gun control laws pre-1934. How about the "black codes" like Georgia's outlawing of gun ownership by black citizens in the 1870s, or the many local ordinances across the west in the 1800's like no gun in city limits rule in Deadwood, SD and Dodge City, KS. As for the 2A, it didn't even apply to the states' regulation of firearms until 2010. But let's not worry about the facts or the law when it doesn't fit our narrative and we are in the middle of some good name-calling.

Name calling can cause moderating from Randy and we need to be considerate of the site and it’s host. That consideration also needs to extend to one another on the forums as well.

I do see how certain people do try to influence others with their support of more restrictions on gun ownership and recite “Scalia and Heller” to reinforce their motives to support gun controlling legislation at the cost of decent and law abiding gun owners.

It is true that the very nature of firearms and explosive devices hasn’t changed since their inception, but many have become complicit in their restriction due to the lack of understanding how people have become dangerous, not guns.

This debate will never end, but somewhere there needs to be some resolution that quits blaming guns and recognizes that criminals don’t pay attention to laws as we continue down the path of passing more laws with no positive results.

You actually sound like some sort of guy who can't read the rules of conduct around here. Take it to Facebook if you can't handle differing perspectives. You have a PM.

This thread has degenerated, but I'll give it a go:

0. YES*, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc. *the caveat being who gets to define the breadth of "military weapons." The lever action rifle was a state-of-the-art weapon of war at one time.
1. YES, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. Unsure. current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remain in place? Makes us feel good but doesn't really prevent bad guys from getting guns. Seems to be some issues with restorative rights and enforceability.
3. YES, current dealer background check rules should remain in place?
4. YES*, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place? *But only if entry is through a security checkpoint, otherwise, it's just a sign.
5. NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
12. NO, online sales of firearms through FFLs should be banned?
13. NO, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
14. NO, ownership of a gun should require pre-registration/permit?
15. NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? Impossible to legislate what is "secure" for each individual situation.
19. NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? See #18 above.
20. NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers? - This should be applied reasonably as with other industries (which is probably asking a lot).
22. NO, there should be a wholesale repeal of "stand your ground" laws?
23. NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful? Not illegal, but it's a good way to tell who the d-bags are.
26. YES, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. NO, current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. NO, current limits on short barrelled rifles should remain in place?
29. NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

0. YES, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
2. YES, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remain in place?
4. NO, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
15. NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers? KNIFE, CAR, ALCOHOL, DRUG MANUFACTURERS SHOULD BE HELD LIABLE FOR DAMAGES THEIR PRODUCTS DO!!!!!!
23. NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES, suppressors should be removed from governance of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. NO, current limits on short barreled shotguns should remain in place?
28. NO, current limits on short barreled rifles should remain in place?
29. NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

Generally, I avoid this type of post, as they require serious thought and consideration, two things with which I struggle...

So, here goes: The world is full of grey, I try to address some of that.

0. YES, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as hand grenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
2. YES, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remain in place?
4. YES, currently restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES and NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
I'm torn because I'm such a hypocrite. I've bought so many parking lot guns in my life, as any of us who grew up in North Idaho know, so many guns are sold out of the Nickles Worth. Seems like an unenforceable unfunded mandate.

6.Hard NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
While we all know that those kids who kill cats can't be trusted with guns, how do we protect advocate judges, lawyers, or Chiefs of Police?

Nuance- This may fall into the arena of Interstate Commerce. Ammo bought and sold via e-commerce, intrastate may be exempt. Though the USPS may not be allowed... Nuance

16. NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high-capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
18. Yes and NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? Yes we should, no it should not be legislated
19. YES and NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? Yes we should, no it should not be legislated
21. NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
23. YES and NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
80% Lowers- No
Bump Stocks- Yes

25. NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks, and stores should be unlawful? No- it helps us find a$$holes who could otherwise fly under the radar
26. YES, suppressors should be removed from the governance of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. NO, current limits on short-barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. NO, current limits on short-barrelled rifles should remain in place?
29. YES and NO, gun ownership should be restricted below the age of 21 rather than 18?
The answer should be 25 because we men are pretty damn stoopid, but if we can vote and fight in a war at 18, we oughta be able to buy a wheel gun and a beer.

30. HARD NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

Keeping it classy I see.

For the benefit of the historical record, there were a significant number of gun control laws pre-1934. How about the "black codes" like Georgia's outlawing of gun ownership by black citizens in the 1870s, or the many local ordinances across the west in the 1800's like no gun in city limits rule in Deadwood, SD and Dodge City, KS. As for the 2A, it didn't even apply to the states' regulation of firearms until 2010. But let's not worry about the facts or the law when it doesn't fit our narrative and we are in the middle of some good name-calling.
Prior to 1934, there were no "Federal" gun control laws, though I'm pretty certain there were attempts. Apparently, just not any that were worth mentioning in history. States did a lot of "gun control" as you mentioned. I can move state to state if I find local gun laws too restrictive (California?) or too lax (Texas?).
Federal law is nation wide. No escaping.

Prior to 1934, there were no "Federal" gun control laws, though I'm pretty certain there were attempts. Apparently, just not any that were worth mentioning in history. States did a lot of "gun control" as you mentioned. I can move state to state if I find local gun laws too restrictive (California?) or too lax (Texas?).
Federal law is nation wide. No escaping.
I agree most gun laws have been (and continue to be) state and it may have less impact on some individuals than fed. But I didn't read your post to suggest it was only fed laws you objected to. I now understand that - states can do what they wish but the fed is a complete "no fly zone" - so noted. For what it's worth, I for one object to many state laws under the 2A.

Given the recent events in my state (CO) and hometown I’ll weigh in. All of these beliefs I held before the current events. I’m aware most folks on the forum won’t/don’t share my opinions.

1. YES or NO, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES or NO, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
3. YES or NO, current dealer background check rules should remain in place?
4. YES or NO, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES or NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. YES or NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. YES or NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. YES or NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"? As the registered owner, you should be responsible for how that gun is handled/used.
9. YES or NO (No opinion) , if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. YES or NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. YES or NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
12. YES or NO (No opinion) , online sales of firearms through FFLs should be banned?
13. YES or NO, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
14. YES or NO, ownership of a gun should require pre-registration/permit?
15. YES or NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check? I would support some common sense legislation.
16. YES or NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. YES or NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. YES or NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES or NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. YES or NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030? Price / reliability being my primary concern.
21. YES or NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
22. YES or NO (No opinion) , there should be a wholesale repeal of "stand your ground" laws?
23. YES or NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES or NO (No opinion/not familiar ) , the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES or NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES or NO, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. YES or NO, current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. YES or NO, current limits on short barrelled rifles should remain in place?
29. YES or NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. YES or NO (No opinion) , gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

Last edited:
May the Schwartz be with you...

images

May the Schwartz be with you...

images
Nothing too groundbreaking in their list. The only one they’ve announced yet is requiring background checks for DIY projects without serial numbers. I will be bummed out if I can’t conceal my AR under a trench coat for late night Walmart runs.

“Other executive actions remain unclear. But advocates who have been in touch with the White House have speculated that the president could announce regulations on concealed assault-style firearms; prohibitions on firearm purchases for those convicted of domestic violence against their partners; alerts to law enforcement agencies when a potential buyer fails a background check; and federal guidance on home storage safety measures.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back