First inertia shotguns…

Farmerj

So I finally decided to get my first ever inertia semi auto 12 ga.

Wanted something both for a field gun and 3-gun gaming…

I had the Beretta A400 and the Benelli M2 in mind.

Top is an Impala Plus Nero 12 ga 3” chamber. 4+1 comes with 5 choke tubes. Talk about a natural pointer. Cost was $425

Bottom is an Alpha Arms Silver Eagle 01SA 12 ga 3” chamber 8+1 with fiber optic sights. Also has a picatinny rail for mounting a scope. Comes with 4 choke tubes. The chokes are compatible with the Beretta A400. Cost was $350.

Both sets of chokes match in dimensions for standard chokes.
1D72FE4A-CAE1-4B67-8CFB-B3D6B4F0C4E5.jpeg

Ran 2 boxes of Fiocchi though each last night to break them in. Functioned flawlessly.
AEC41B44-8C11-4B62-B04C-D74FF34524A3.jpeg

I considered this one a lawnmower.
C90DEA21-61BF-4306-A6BC-EEF96EC502FC.jpeg

9 rounds of 12 ga 3 3/4 dram 7 1/2 shot loads will cut the grass nicely.
ABAC99A6-FD55-4DEE-9EB4-C75DB8731355.jpeg

D0E062B9-C8F4-4135-AE68-D39BB9F55F33.jpeg

I opted to not get the Beretta A400 because of a constant complaint I was finding there were issues with the trigger and Beretta was struggling to correct the problem in a timely manner.

All the reviews on the Alpha and Impala were significantly higher with no complaints or concerns. I’d had good luck with Turkish guns in the past so I wasn’t concerned this time either.

My only complaint is like most guns…
The ejectors tend to toss casings too far away for my liking making pickup a pain and scattered all over the field.

You will like both I bet.
I have a Staoger M3500 Very similar but mine is decked out for waterfowl and coyotes.
.670 choke and Limbsaver, with the inertia you will want a GOOD recoil pad.

2020swan-g-yup.jpg

finished-stoeger-c-yup.jpg

I had this manual back in the ‘90’s when I was shooting skeet a lot and wanted a nice light recoiling 7/8 oz load to shoot at league night and matches.

Today was was looking through the newest edition and it was showing 1 1/2 oz 1400 fps loads out of win AA hulls as well as Remington STS and these Fiocchi hulls.

Yesterday I ordered a case of Cheddite 209 primers. Should be interesting developing a magnum pheasant load out of it.

1050C970-F411-4F2E-B848-3554EF678AFD.jpeg

I tried several different Benelli inertia guns and got rid of all of them. if I didn’t let the bolt slam close on any of them to avoid the noise it caused, they wouldn’t fire. Frustreating as h$ll and in my opinion unacceptable for $1k plus shotguns not to go bang every time I pulled the trigger. On the inter tube it’s referred to as the Benelli click.

I have several Winchester SX and the Browning model that’s basically the same and have had no problems.

if I let the bolt slam close, it worked every time and I was happy. I just couldn’t get past that issue.

Neil

You will love your inertia gun!

I’m an inertia guy. I worked as a gunsmith for several years and the repair work we did on gas guns was probably 50:1 to inertia guns. And the inertia guns usually weren’t “broke” they were just unbelievably dirty.

Not to say I didn’t LOVE gas guns…they helped pay for my college with their repairs 😊.

Regarding the Benelli Click and the need to slam the bolt…not really. You can let it down softly then just push the bolt handle forward and you will feel it engage. It’s also easy to visually check. If you see brass, not engaged.

My cousin has a SBE I. Learned years ago the importance of cleaning those things.

I have no need for an SBE since shooting 3 1/2” shells is of no importance to me. Always walked for pheasants or it’s most likely skeet or sporting clays.

I carried a Benelli as an additionally assigned weapon on our swat team for years. Very possible to go all sneaky Pete and have the weapon in battery.

So I finally decided to get my first ever inertia semi auto 12 ga.

Wanted something both for a field gun and 3-gun gaming…

I had the Beretta A400 and the Benelli M2 in mind.

Top is an Impala Plus Nero 12 ga 3” chamber. 4+1 comes with 5 choke tubes. Talk about a natural pointer. Cost was $425

Bottom is an Alpha Arms Silver Eagle 01SA 12 ga 3” chamber 8+1 with fiber optic sights. Also has a picatinny rail for mounting a scope. Comes with 4 choke tubes. The chokes are compatible with the Beretta A400. Cost was $350.

Both sets of chokes match in dimensions for standard chokes.
View attachment 232912

Ran 2 boxes of Fiocchi though each last night to break them in. Functioned flawlessly.
View attachment 232923

I considered this one a lawnmower.
View attachment 232909

9 rounds of 12 ga 3 3/4 dram 7 1/2 shot loads will cut the grass nicely.
View attachment 232910

View attachment 232911

I opted to not get the Beretta A400 because of a constant complaint I was finding there were issues with the trigger and Beretta was struggling to correct the problem in a timely manner.

All the reviews on the Alpha and Impala were significantly higher with no complaints or concerns. I’d had good luck with Turkish guns in the past so I wasn’t concerned this time either.

My only complaint is like most guns…
The ejectors tend to toss casings too far away for my liking making pickup a pain and scattered all over the field.
I believe the Alpha is made by ATI. They have about the best reputation for Turkish shotguns. I believe the still make Weatherby line. The Impala maker I'd never heard of before now. Good luck.

Inertia guns will thump you. I shoot an old 1960s Browning A-5 Magnum Twelve. They utilized neither inertia or gas. Long recoil has the entire barrel sliding back to eject the shell. Sadly, no one makes long recoil any longer. They are very durable and dependable. But also expensive to make and usually a bit heavier. Biggest deterant was the "double shuffle" of recoil followed by barrel and bolt slamming forward. It just feels a bit different. I can still fire my gun as fast as any gas or inertia gun (not that speed shooting is at all important to me). I have shot all three types of shotguns and to me the Browning long recoil is every bit as soft shooting as a Beretta gas auto ... IF the A-5s friction rings are adjusted correctly. The inertia guns hammer my shoulder like a fixed breech gun. A few years ago a primer blew up in my gun and jammed it at the last station on clays course. One of the other fellas loaned me the Benelli auto he was trying out. I cleaned the station (rabbits and flyers). "You better buy that gun!" No thanks. I'd be flinching after the next station. What a thumper. Too light.

Last edited:
Back