What is your favorite "genre" of firearms?

Soulless precision tools :D...stainless steel in composite and fiberglass handles. Can be rolled down the hill without a hint of sadness, save for the hassle of checking zero.

I totally get the draw to shiny blue and classy wood, lever guns, revolvers, AR's, etc. but I just don't have the itch. It'll probably change someday though.

Yes fast bolts but typically not big bullets. Thats why half these blogs are about shooting elk with a 6.5 or some other useless cartridge for elk. My problem is I only hunt and not bench shoot so I don't get to enjoy some of them.

I like a little bit of everything, but for some reason I would say that I have always had a soft spot for heavy barreled varmint/target rifles. I think I just like low recoiling, accurate rifles. Lately I've developed a strong interest in O/U shotguns...an expensive hobby for sure. I like military arms also, mostly US. Levers are fun, handguns are fun, hunting rifles for sure.

I think if I could pinpoint one thing that I have never had an interest in, and never owned, it would be bolt action or rifle caliber handguns(contenders, XP100, etc..)

I went through several "phases" with the minimum for hunting one shotgun, one modern bolt rifle and a .22. I started with soviet weapons back when I was still in school and poor. I moved on to collecting WW1 and WW2 weapons and had everything from a GEW 98, SMLE, No 4 Mk1, K98s, M95, Berthier, etc. I eventually moved on to levers in general and finally concentrated on Savage 1895s, 1899s and 99s... Then my "priorities" changed, I went from going to the range a lot to barely ever (only to sight in my rifles). I eventually sold most of my massive collection and currently have mostly hunting rigs and a few pistols. All the monies made with what were nothing but safe queens funds my hunting problem.

I enjoy a mix of everything from old antique lever guns, 30-40 krag side load, recent Winchester model 54(1930), plenty of bolt actions from old to a few years new & one custom built 300 win mag, A couple of different shotguns, 2 semi autos 300 blk, m1 carbine and then a few pistols. I mostly drift to the antiques if I have a chance to purchase them. Unfortunately sell a few to fund new ones also.

I can’t get over old Winchesters, rifles and shotguns. Grew up shooting a Model 62 .22 and my first shotgun was a Model 50 20 gauge. Over the years quite a few Have found a home in my safe, from my dad’s.243 Model 70 with Weaver scope to a Model 12 Trap. I have some more expensive, newer guns, but none seem to have the soul of those older Winchesters. Something about the American walnut stocks and deep lustrous blueing that can’t be beat. Of course, for the duck blind, I also leave those at home and shoot a plastic stocked Beretta!

I don’t know if I can really pin it down for myself, but it’s a good mixture. I like modern hunting rifles, that look traditional but shoot better than expected. Old, plain hunting rifles that show up in the used rack that are well worn but you can tell the previous owner took good care of them, make me drool. If my budget allowed, I’d have too many rifles to choose from every year for hunting season and most of them would be old and smell like someone’s basement.

I like double action revolvers in .357Mag and .44Mag and would love a .41 someday.

Shotguns for me only need to be pumps.

In real life, most everything I own would be considered “budget guns” and none of it fancier than utilitarian. A handful of Savage centerfires, Marlin rimfires, and Ruger revolvers. Shotguns begin and end with a handful of 870 Express models in various configurations. All that still doesn’t stop me from drooling over and appreciating nicer or older rifles.

Bolt action rifles - Stainless Steel, 3 position safety that actually blocks the striker, full bed block composite stock, and controlled round feeding. That kind of dates me, I think.
Big Stainless Steel Ruger revolvers.
Double stack 1911 Auto pistols.

Not everything in the safe hits all these points, but the ones I reach for do.

The only ones that I truly covet and unfortunately dont own yet are a few of the western frontier guns. I really want a winchester 45-70 lever and a rolling block or trap door 45-70. I like and appreciate most all guns, but those ones are more of a lust. Especially since I bought a 1961 winchester model 70, I'm catching the winchester bug a little.

I will say that despite my affinity for less interesting guns, among my favorites in my house is a New Frontier Buntline .22LR/WMR switch cylinder that my grandfather bought new in the 70’s. I love the finish and it’s a nice compliment to a rifle for brush hunting bunnies when they hole up tight.

Pre-64 model 70's, ruger m77's, for nostalgia and looks.

Remington 700's for utility.

Don't hate old lever actions either.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back