What is your favorite "genre" of firearms?

Still have two of my all time favorite handguns. On is a S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. Big and pretty heavy but boy it shoot's well. The other is a S&W mod 19 in 32 long, love that thing!

Definitely prefer bolt action wood stocked rifles. Also like the caliber to match the rifle manufacturer. My hunting rifles are: Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .300 Wby. mag, Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag, Remington Model 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag, Winchester Model 70 Super Grade SS in .264 Win. mag, and Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308 Win. All rifles are topped with Leupolds: VX-Freedom 3-9x 50 Firedot, 2 VX-R's...3-9x 50 and 4-12x 50, 2 VX-5HD's...3-15x 44 Firedot and 3-15x 56 Firedot. Even though I hunt heavy cover where shooting lanes are a must, I still love the magnums. The .308 is the "pipsqueak", but shoots well and I know that I am not under gunned with it. Also have shotguns, .22 autos, muzzle loaders and hand guns, but they don't share the love affair that I have with my bolt action rifles.

Last edited:
What I like about this thread is We all like something different as it should be as we hunt different conditions and have different abilities.
Me I like Rifle Bolt Actions but own other action types.
Handguns I have and use but they do not hold a special place.
Shotguns I use all the time being from the MidWest hunting Uplands & Waterfowl and in Iowa Shotgun only hunting Whitetail Deer. Along with shooting Trap & Skeet all summer.
Yes a 12ga Shotgun is the most useful Gun ever invented !
While I love my Rifles there just not as versatile as a 12ga Shotgun.

Much prefer double shotguns. With a heavy load of big 18g/cc there isn't much here around home that would make me want a rifle, except low light medium game. Need a scope for that. It's true! You can't hit it if you can't see it. You can see longer with optics.

...30-40 krag side load...
I shot my first elk with one of those...many years ago.

I'm in the group that likes anything that goes BANG!

For big game hunting I like Weatherby style clean, fancy walnut stocked bolt actions. But for foul weather I like plastic stocked stainless bolt actions.

I shot my first deer with a Model 94 in .32 Special. I enjoy shooting my 94's.

I went through a blackpowder phase and have several BP rifles and pistols. I shot my best Mule deer buck with a .45 caliber Kentucky rifle that I built from a CVA kit, and I shot my American Buffalo with my .54 caliber Hawken that I built from a Green River kit.

I've shot my shotguns the most, somewhere around 300,000 shells. The years that I was competing in Trap and Skeet I was shooting at least 10,000 shells each year. I still shoot an average of 100 shotshells per week, just shooting Skeet for fun. I've shot my O/U's the most, but I enjoy bird hunting with my 870.

I'm rarely in the woods without a pistol. I shot my first black bear with one of my 1911 .45's, and another with one of my .44 magnums. I shoot 3-5 pistols on just about every one of my weekly trips to the range.

I also enjoy shooting an AR, but it seems to go through ammo too quickly.

You wouldn't be able to guess if you looked in the safes, but I'll say A-series Sakos, followed by .22 rimfires of all makes, leaning towards higher end guns.

I have two 30-06 heirlooms and four shotguns. Shoot several thousand rounds trap/skeet/clays each year almost exclusively with the Magnum Twelve Browning A5 that I also use for bird hunting. My sporterized WWII 30-06 Springfield is my go to gun for big game. It's been all over the world. Those two guns are pretty much my life now. And it's a pretty good one.Black Beauty 2.JPG20211114_083339.jpg

Last edited:
I have always loved break action firearms. I’ve had several top break revolvers over the years, as well as single shot shotguns. I also have had a soft spot for old battle rifles. Guns that were designed to take a beating, live in the mud and muck, and keep on rocking.

I LOVE THIS THREAD! Why? I love firearms, and I love that people love such a variety of weapons.

It made me me think of what I love and LOVE.

What I love is VERY diverse. As a genre I love performance built rifles; accurate, light, and reliable. I LOVE the two I have; blessed. I love and fantasize about lever guns and falling block rifles. I have neither.

Shotguns and pistols are for utility.

AR’s… no need. My veteran friends love them, and I respect that.

My absolutely favorite firearms are my Grandfather’s set from when he hopped a train to work a ranch in Montana as a kid. I have the 22, and my brother, Hamm59701, has the Colt pistol. We have shot the shiz out of them, babied both, and cherish them. I LOVE LOVE them.

1D76381B-6512-411F-9E28-7199973CCAE8.jpeg

I live in NJ, so I use a shotgun for deer hunting only or shooting clay birds. A good bolt action will always catch my eye, and I start chomping at the bit when I can take one of mine on an out of state hunt.

Grew up primarily bird hunting, and shotguns still hold my interest most. In the family gun safe growing up was a Belgium A5, Model 1987, Model 12, and Ithaca Mag 10 and Rem 1100. I'm working to add an O/U hopefully for next season. Would like a nice wood stock rifle soon as well (Model 70 Super Grade or similar).

Two years ago I'd tell you I only hunt with lever actions. Current me sees the beauty in a bolt rifle that's as accurate as I can get it while looking beautiful too. Whether that be synthetic/stainless or wood/blued. Do gotta say, though; lever actions are still hard to beat. I'm always looking for a BLR in 7mm rem mag

I prefer a short carbine because I often hike into my hunting spots and distances can be quite long. Action type does not matter to me. But I'm a huge fan of the 30-30 cartridge for forests and foothills.

TR

hog 4.JPG

Definitely prefer bolt action wood stocked rifles. Also like the caliber to match the rifle manufacturer. My hunting rifles are: Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .300 Wby. mag, Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag, Remington Model 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag, Winchester Model 70 Super Grade SS in .264 Win. mag, and Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308 Win. All rifles are topped with Leupolds: VX-Freedom 3-9x 50 Firedot, 2 VX-R's...3-9x 50 and 4-12x 50, 2 VX-5HD's...3-15x 44 Firedot and 3-15x 56 Firedot. Even though I hunt heavy cover where shooting lanes are a must, I still love the magnums. The .308 is the "pipsqueak", but shoots well and I know that I am not under gunned with it. Also have shotguns, .22 autos, muzzle loaders and hand guns, but they don't share the love affair that I have with my bolt action rifles.

Recently added another "pipsqueak"...Browning X Bolt Medallion Maple in 6.5 Creedmoor "Manbun".
x bolt 1.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back