Yeti GOBOX Collection

What is your favorite "genre" of firearms?

Accurate bolt actions first for me. My sentimental favorites are my two blue steel and walnut Model 70’s. My practical all weather hunting rifles are a stainless Remington 700 mountain and a Sako 85 Finnlite. Shotguns would be second place, and I do everything with an 870 Wingmaster and a Browning Citori 725.

I like lever actions but I only have an old Winchester 94 and a Henry .22 mag. My handguns are tools, but I enjoy shooting them. I reach for a Ruger .357 or a Glock when it comes to serious stuff.

So hard to pick a favorite sometimes. If it's handguns, I love shooting my S&W 44 Mag. Shotguns, how can you beat a wood and blued steel O/U? Plinking, I go with my Ruger 10/22 that my son customized into a John Deere edition. However, if I have to pick a favorite it's bolt action rifles. My current favs would be my 25 Creedmoor chassis rifle for PRS & steel shooting, my 7 SAUM for most hunting situations or my model 70 in 375 H&H if I ever make it back to Africa.

Love the sound of my old 700 bolt cycling still. Even tho the second shot is rarely needed.Confirm.
Growing up with a Win. 92 lever in my hands , I still love the feel of my 94 30-30 being pulled to my cheek.Even tho my eyesight is not what it once was.
Racking a round into the 870. Confident.
9mm,last resort still....

My one true love, 1885 Highwall. Simple, clean, beautiful.
Second would be the Weatherby Mark V. Sleek, racy, solid design.
After that, any clean, laminated stock bolt gun.

I'm pretty fond of rifles with a history, my father's rifles, or the rifle my son worked to pay for half of, that he used to kill his first deer. I like calibers that were chambered in the early bolt guns, and the early wildcats developed from them. I'm pretty fond of m70's, and the kimbers spawned by the crf mausers. All that said, I live in a state where I can use my rifles easily for 3 animals a year, a bear, an elk, and a deer,and might have several that would work for any of them. but I can hunt with a shotgun for months on end, from doves to grouse, to geese. I almost always reach for my sxs20 with a straight grip. Go figure.

I have carried a M-16 or AR-15 of one form or another since 1990 for one profession or the other. I find that platform to literally be an extension of my body - " no matter what else he might do with his hands— love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper—his hands remember the rifle". BUT-

BUT - my true love affair with rifles is all World War 2. I'm not sure that it's because I had two grandfathers who went and survived, or simply acknowledgment of the greatest generation or even that they just made sexier rifles then...there is just something about them that call to me every single time I lay my eyes on one. I have a collection that I dont need many pieces to finish and they are of course safe queens - even the ones in rough shape.. actual survivors that were left untouched post war, not import marked or molested in any way (not sure why it matters, time does what it does). The one piece from my collection that is love/hate is a German BCD43 rifle which I know was produced by the poor slave hands of prisoners at Buchenwald who were murdered by their spineless captors and bombed by the RAF unknowingly. I have at times wanted to get rid of it as if that would change what happened somehow...it just has a bad feeling to it.

Bolt guns. I'm not really even sure why. They're simple and efficient and you can do a lot cool things with them. Plus I'm much more of a hunter than a "shooter" and bolt action rifles lend themselves to my interests more than most.

I like them all. I’ve played about all the gun games. Trap, skeet, sporting clays. 3 gun, action pistol, long range. I’ve hunted with muzzleloader, handguns, classic rifle, modern rifles, all types of shotgun.
If I could do just one thing it would be hunt with a classic lever gun. I’ve got a mint Savage 99F in 300 Savage that I really would like to take west next year. A very close second is wingshooting with a good O/U shotgun.

I've got a lot of similar guns and not much variety. A lot has to do with inheriting guns from family that did similar hunting. I have several shotguns (almost all 12 Gauge), a couple bolt action rifles which are the same caliber (.300 Win Mag). I'd like to diversify and find myself wanting to go the classics. On the immediate list is a smaller caliber rifle (thinking Model 70 super grade), an over/under (ideally a 12 & 20 gauge), and a 30-30 Lever. If money wasn't an issue, most of the funds would be put towards shotguns of all types. Some of my favorite shotguns are my dad's model 12 he got when he was 16, his Ithaca Mag 10, which I use as my goose gun, and my great grandfather's Winchester 1897.

I started out really liking shotguns. Pump action led to semi-auto which now is at over-under. I never thought a rifle would be where it led. Next, I really got lost in the lever-action. Now I am getting lost in long range big boy rifles like mtmuley. I never thought I would make it this far. What could be cooler than any gun?

Pre-64 model 70's, ruger m77's, for nostalgia and looks.

Remington 700's for utility.

Don't hate old lever actions either.

This describes exactly whats in my safe. Pre-64 in .270, M77 in 25-06 and 700's in .243 and 30-06. One thing I am thinking about is a nice O/U shotgun.

I’m all about hunting rifles. I wish I could have one of almost every caliber. Most of mine are rem 700’s but I like a lot of others. I also have a soft spot for over/under and side by side shotguns for bird hunting.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back