Caribou Gear Tarp

What grinds my gears

SlownSteady7

Been binging YouTube hunting videos since I finally upgraded and got one of them there smart TV’s. I’ve seen some good and a lot of bad.

Good
Through social media and random gear trends there’s probably a lot of people getting exposed to the outdoors that may never have before. Hopefully more first hand experience more educated people = more respect.

Bad
Every person thinks they’re KUIU sponsored pro staff whatever. These same people think they can shoot 700-1000yrds because they saw it on a YouTube video. One of my biggest peeves other than being on time is inexperienced long distance shooting. I’m not a fan of long range to begin with as it defeats the purpose and skill of a stalk but now you add in idiots just launching led. Shooting 1000 yrds is cool and all but I’m guessing 99% of amateurs are out there wounding animals instead of putting in the work to check wind, topog, cover and surroundings.

end rant

I generally agree that long range shooting isn't positive for the sport. However, I think it would take a tremendous amount of skill, or luck, to even hit a deer or elk sized target at 1,000 yards. Just a quick Google search turned up ballistic charts for two calibers that I suspect are "common" for long range shooting - 7mm Rem. mag and .300 Win. mag. Both bullets drop around 100 inches at 700 yards. I just don't think there are many Joe Blows slapping a high enough dollar optic on a rifle to even allow for that kind of shot, much less having any effect on a population.

Been binging YouTube hunting videos since I finally upgraded and got one of them there smart TV’s. I’ve seen some good and a lot of bad.

Good
Through social media and random gear trends there’s probably a lot of people getting exposed to the outdoors that may never have before. Hopefully more first hand experience more educated people = more respect.

Bad
Every person thinks they’re KUIU sponsored pro staff whatever. These same people think they can shoot 700-1000yrds because they saw it on a YouTube video. One of my biggest peeves other than being on time is inexperienced long distance shooting. I’m not a fan of long range to begin with as it defeats the purpose and skill of a stalk but now you add in idiots just launching led. Shooting 1000 yrds is cool and all but I’m guessing 99% of amateurs are out there wounding animals instead of putting in the work to check wind, topog, cover and surroundings.

end rant
Well I am a KUIU nut, not a pro staff ( I have spent so much they should sponsor me). I don't like long range shooters because its exactly as you said. They never show how many they wound, let alone the sporting aspect. Hence why I hate the 6.5. Its not even the caliber, I have one. Its what people think they can do with it.

This could be the observation of the century.
May I make an experienced opinion based off of 50+ yrs experience afield, and 20+ years of military service?

Scored 0 thru 10 as a good idea.

.410 shotgun slug, 100yds, anything. (0)

22Mag, antelope/deer, 200 yds. (0)

30/30, 300 yds, anything that weighs more than 40#'s. (0)

44Mag, 200yds, cow elk (0), bull (0)

Shots past 300 yds......

Unless you have spent some hard time & a few hundred rounds down range at extended distances........Don't press your luck just because your cartridge can reach that far.

The Marine Corps required me to qualify out to 500 yds, finishing with a 'Man sized" target, from a prone position, with a peep sight. Trust me, a 50% "hit" rate (anywhere) was a damn good day.

Just cuz the bullet will get there DOES NOT equate to your ability to put it where it needs to be !!

The brand/logo focus gets to me. I understand when producers are sponsored and need to do that for the sponsorship. But its weird to me to see Joe-Blow whitetail guy with a camera spending so much time filming his various logos during the downtime. Noticed that on a friends video this week. Was in a bad spot not seeing deer after day three at this stand and ended up seeing the Vortex logo more than I cared to. I understand doing product reviews when you don’t have a sponsorship but why focus on the logo so much? Oh well. It’s Friday, I’m in a better mood now. Ha!

I'd like to see a trend towards "back in the day" type hunting shows. Jeans, flannel, fixed power scopes, etc. Maybe that is my calling...
YOU think "Back in the day" If they had the advancements we have now they would have still stuck to their old crap?
I never cared for hand-crank cars and all sitting in the wood shack playing songs on my moonshine jug...

What "grinds my gears" is that Randy (aka - Big Fin) goes hunting here in Montana and never … never … and I mean never invites me. Heck, we practically grew up together. He may have grown up in Minnesota and I grew up in Montana, but what gives?

I'd like to see a trend towards "back in the day" type hunting shows. Jeans, flannel, fixed power scopes, etc. Maybe that is my calling...
Cant hunt in jeans and a flannel, youll never kill anything without a $3000 "clothing system" all in a matching proprietary camo pattern. Helps too if your rifle stock matches your clothing system.

"Antiquing" and "Farmhouse" trends are making a roaring comeback in Good House Keeping magazines. Maybe the "Vintage" hunter will too on fresh tracks....

Sorry @wllm1313 no more La Croix and Starbucks Via Lattes while you're glassing through your $3500 Swaro setup on a $800 Outdoorsmans....... straight 10x power on a willow branch from here on out.

Cant hunt in jeans and a flannel, youll never kill anything without a $3000 "clothing system" all in a matching proprietary camo pattern. Helps too if your rifle stock matches your clothing system.

If your whole outfit and rifle have matching camo you're a tool.

"Antiquing" and "Farmhouse" trends are making a roaring comeback in Good House Keeping magazines. Maybe the "Vintage" hunter will too on fresh tracks....

Sorry @wllm1313 no more La Croix and Starbucks Via Lattes while you're glassing through your $3500 Swaro setup on a $800 Outdoorsmans....... straight 10x power on a willow branch from here on out.

f532d9becd46feec6b8b973ffbd2ad02.jpg

Let's face it your not a true bruh till this is in your starter kit. Grind all the gears you want in this bad boy.

Wonder how many people that see this thing rolling up a two track are second guessing their subscriptions to this outfit. They gotta be making a killing if they can piss money away like this.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back