MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What Fly Rods And Reels Do You Use?

my only nice one is the bozemen flyworks rod and reel. The others all cheapy setups that do the job.

I really like the old Abel click pawl reels. Overpriced for a trout real, and overkill, but they pack a lot of quality into those small packages.

Tell me about them cheapy setups that do the job, sounds like my level of fishin
Cedar canyon 9ft 5wt that I bought from bob wards a few years back. Rod itself is fine, reel is a pile of crap lol But I catch a lot of fish with it.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/TAIGEK-2-4m-...57011&rnid=386589011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-25 Specifically for letting my kids learn. Damn thing casts a dry fly exceptionally well but I wouldn't be throwing much weight with it.

Might pick up one of those fiberglass eagle claw rods for a nymph rig one day when I'm feeling froggy.

Last edited:
Tell me about them cheapy setups that do the job, sounds like my level of fishin
A Redington Classic Trout 8’ 3wt rod paired with an old eBay Martin “tuna can” click & pawl does the cheapo trick real well for me for my creek set up.

My bigger river cheapo set up is slightly more refined, a 9’ 5wt Fenwick Aetos paired with an old Pfleuger Medalist 1494 reel (from the Akron manufacture days).

Both these set ups were less than $250. The Fenwick is a-ok, but I really like the moderate action on the Redington and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it in any length/weight combo.

Last edited:
Cedar canyon 9ft 5wt that I bought from bob wards a few years back. Rod itself is fine, reel is a pile of crap lol But I catch a lot of fish with it.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/PLUSINNO-Lightweight-Ultra-Portable-Graphite-Complete/dp/B07VF3DX8S/ref=sr_1_9?content-id=amzn1.sym.0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e:amzn1.sym.0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e&keywords=fly+rod+and+reel+combo&pd_rd_r=36ae3dab-8dba-4fa3-85a7-5729bbc4a11a&pd_rd_w=pmUhq&pd_rd_wg=OYpcc&pf_rd_p=0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e&pf_rd_r=Z4EN1VCQ2A5JJMH2NW1J&qid=1658265260&refinements=p_36:1253557011&rnid=386589011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-9 Specificly for letting my kids learn. Damn thing casts a dry fly exceptionally well but i wouldnt be throwin much weight with it.

Might pick up one of those fiberglass eagle claw rods for a nymph rig one day when I'm feeling froggy.
Thanks, in the amazon cart she go. I do some work on the San Juan every year and it is time to throw something in the water out there!

Reactions: KB_
Sage LL 3wt with an Orvis Hydros 2 reel

St Croix Imperial 4wt with an old school Orvis battenkill

Waiting on the bamboo 5 wt which has an Orvis Hydros 2 reel

10ft 7wt Orvis Trident for steelhead & big tailwater nymphing. Orvis Hydros 2 reel.

Lost all of my Lamsons & Galvan reels. I still cry about that.

My 3 wt is a TFO with an orvis reel. My 4 wt is a TFO with an orvis reel. My 5 wt is custom made with an okuma reel. My 6 wt is an eagle claw with a white river outfitter reel. My 7 wt is a TFO with an okuma reel.

I know between the wife and I we have one sage, a couple echos, a couple tfo’s and I’m confident she has a couple others I’m not sure of. I think we have basically one of everything from 3 weight to 9, plus her Spey rod

A Sage Foundation 6 wt I wish I hadn't spent so much money on. I built a 5 wt rod with a no-name clearance blank. I loved it until the second section snapped.

Over my 20 years guiding I owned quite a few Loomis, Sage, TFOS ECHO, Orvis, a few small manufacturers. (Heidi Wild out of Anchorage makes great rods)
Sold the place and retired I kept my Winston's/Ross, Sage and a couple of Lamsons reels

Over my 20 years guiding I owned quite a few Loomis, Sage, TFOS ECHO, Orvis, a few small manufacturers. (Heidi Wild out of Anchorage makes great rods)
Sold the place and retired I kept my Winston's/Ross, Sage and a couple of Lamsons reels
Had the opportunity to break in to guiding 35 years ago.
Decided I like fishing too much. ;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back