What Fly Rods And Reels Do You Use?

my only nice one is the bozemen flyworks rod and reel. The others all cheapy setups that do the job.

I really like the old Abel click pawl reels. Overpriced for a trout real, and overkill, but they pack a lot of quality into those small packages.

Tell me about them cheapy setups that do the job, sounds like my level of fishin
Cedar canyon 9ft 5wt that I bought from bob wards a few years back. Rod itself is fine, reel is a pile of crap lol But I catch a lot of fish with it.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/TAIGEK-2-4m-...57011&rnid=386589011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-25 Specifically for letting my kids learn. Damn thing casts a dry fly exceptionally well but I wouldn't be throwing much weight with it.

Might pick up one of those fiberglass eagle claw rods for a nymph rig one day when I'm feeling froggy.

Last edited:
Tell me about them cheapy setups that do the job, sounds like my level of fishin
A Redington Classic Trout 8’ 3wt rod paired with an old eBay Martin “tuna can” click & pawl does the cheapo trick real well for me for my creek set up.

My bigger river cheapo set up is slightly more refined, a 9’ 5wt Fenwick Aetos paired with an old Pfleuger Medalist 1494 reel (from the Akron manufacture days).

Both these set ups were less than $250. The Fenwick is a-ok, but I really like the moderate action on the Redington and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it in any length/weight combo.

Last edited:
Cedar canyon 9ft 5wt that I bought from bob wards a few years back. Rod itself is fine, reel is a pile of crap lol But I catch a lot of fish with it.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/PLUSINNO-Lightweight-Ultra-Portable-Graphite-Complete/dp/B07VF3DX8S/ref=sr_1_9?content-id=amzn1.sym.0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e:amzn1.sym.0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e&keywords=fly+rod+and+reel+combo&pd_rd_r=36ae3dab-8dba-4fa3-85a7-5729bbc4a11a&pd_rd_w=pmUhq&pd_rd_wg=OYpcc&pf_rd_p=0cb3fee0-1a32-4834-9630-18d74b7cf46e&pf_rd_r=Z4EN1VCQ2A5JJMH2NW1J&qid=1658265260&refinements=p_36:1253557011&rnid=386589011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-9 Specificly for letting my kids learn. Damn thing casts a dry fly exceptionally well but i wouldnt be throwin much weight with it.

Might pick up one of those fiberglass eagle claw rods for a nymph rig one day when I'm feeling froggy.
Thanks, in the amazon cart she go. I do some work on the San Juan every year and it is time to throw something in the water out there!

Reactions: KB_
Sage LL 3wt with an Orvis Hydros 2 reel

St Croix Imperial 4wt with an old school Orvis battenkill

Waiting on the bamboo 5 wt which has an Orvis Hydros 2 reel

10ft 7wt Orvis Trident for steelhead & big tailwater nymphing. Orvis Hydros 2 reel.

Lost all of my Lamsons & Galvan reels. I still cry about that.

My 3 wt is a TFO with an orvis reel. My 4 wt is a TFO with an orvis reel. My 5 wt is custom made with an okuma reel. My 6 wt is an eagle claw with a white river outfitter reel. My 7 wt is a TFO with an okuma reel.

I know between the wife and I we have one sage, a couple echos, a couple tfo’s and I’m confident she has a couple others I’m not sure of. I think we have basically one of everything from 3 weight to 9, plus her Spey rod

A Sage Foundation 6 wt I wish I hadn't spent so much money on. I built a 5 wt rod with a no-name clearance blank. I loved it until the second section snapped.

Over my 20 years guiding I owned quite a few Loomis, Sage, TFOS ECHO, Orvis, a few small manufacturers. (Heidi Wild out of Anchorage makes great rods)
Sold the place and retired I kept my Winston's/Ross, Sage and a couple of Lamsons reels

Over my 20 years guiding I owned quite a few Loomis, Sage, TFOS ECHO, Orvis, a few small manufacturers. (Heidi Wild out of Anchorage makes great rods)
Sold the place and retired I kept my Winston's/Ross, Sage and a couple of Lamsons reels
Had the opportunity to break in to guiding 35 years ago.
Decided I like fishing too much. ;)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back