Caribou Gear Tarp

What Fly Rods And Reels Do You Use?

I haven't seen anyone mention Galvan reels. I have one (Rush) for my 8 weight and I think it's one of the best deals in fly fishing. I'm also quite fond of my old Ross Cimmaron, which lives on the 5 weight.

I had some of the original Galvan's & OB's. Bombproof reels for sure. The Rush is almost identical to the old OB's.

I do think that fly reel technology over the last ten years has made a lot of the higher end reels a bit obsolete. You buy an Abel for the looks, or for the corrosion resistance, but in the end, you still are paying for the name more than anything.

I had some of the original Galvan's & OB's. Bombproof reels for sure. The Rush is almost identical to the old OB's.

I do think that fly reel technology over the last ten years has made a lot of the higher end reels a bit obsolete. You buy an Abel for the looks, or for the corrosion resistance, but in the end, you still are paying for the name more than anything.
In trout fishing a reel is just a line holder. It literally does not matter which you use. In other sorts of fishing drag systems become more important.

I haven't seen anyone mention Galvan reels. I have one (Rush) for my 8 weight and I think it's one of the best deals in fly fishing. I'm also quite fond of my old Ross Cimmaron, which lives on the 5 weight.
I use a Galvan Rush with my Seven Weight Helios switch rod for steelhead. That’s my absolute favorite steelhead setup.

If you're talking about trout under 20", then yeah. I've had trout take me into my backing, and I've been glad for a smooth, steady drag system.
I burned up two Cortland reels in three years in Laramie.

Reactions: Hem
Orvis Clearwater. I cant afford much better because I will shut it in the truck tailgate anyhow.

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
If you're talking about trout under 20", then yeah. I've had trout take me into my backing, and I've been glad for a smooth, steady drag system.
Nah, most trout fishing with some outliers, of course. There is 'nice to have' and there is 'needed'.

Nah, most trout fishing with some outliers, of course. There is 'nice to have' and there is 'needed'.
5LgyTo669Pp5OctTz5Sg92hpY0B2S1q-zUi2owMkge7fwZnBY0zxUTmRD2BHFNxObHAefH7wDKQmoQ7WjrzDgwp6ds0ZhEYxTgn98cJQF0SifRcjb4FHIxTh53pdfH6vtYYBVIltwpqWd9UkLAEK3nTZBI3RBdCEoLm-Ovwp14XU1G4um-3rPu-5ls8Qk3Ai6ot_Jzcbs_AkmD_wbCfQT7dTgpZkg0kitOyW-iWc8y3_d3bBczGSw5tCVefHvHAYH4dYaxEXDTGGYgdrn09KQAJH4qGNFr6OnkLYc4h14wH4QVQnkxjIVHmC_dd4qGeMvqMbL3hzaKpjYEfs7yhCQSU3jelbVNwH7E58CBsf6Qp1r0vjtUI6iudl53HIrVneU4G6sKC4phxHGEhwKT3sY6vo0bxyFzNTZ--V13g5hQYBSsirL_yyMTzsxyybO_x04ScVKLML0qMLw3e8SFPQh6oZxJ2EIpIvQwdXyxnpVkRmCbPwRrrtPuyNCoKfXvYu90pUoCnosVTuTyCXkPlV6e0NMxns3JG9KG4MWM6FKnYBKWwe2rCjvgAGq0l0I5QuinFNKB9k0uvg9WvggX0z6R5VxokuXXN6rHKLoP2H6xNnLA9InrF8jRjDlurQixbIbh7GAC-euxnA06uKCSu0SCtQ4NY1RIc8XeH33yI3bRu8yijqe3OjfeIhHXPvIqKoh14WnxNqPUSp-kmiLQTBRKofLmNr-LBh0pxqDPEgfnO4PZrCo5GX6z8vcNXbnJokg_POU1GlfEpBAINPA6Uw8VXicVm58Y9n2Q=w480-h270-no

Thinking about it more. All the atlantic salmon fishing I did all over the world and all the fishes I caught when I went thru that phase of my life (thankfully, Ive gotten over it) was done with a dragless, click-pawl reel. All the steelheads caught have been on one, also. Thats way more demanding than trout.

Reel is only important for saltwater fish. So it is written as gospel heretofore in the good book of raptor jesus.

raptorjesus.gif

One more addendum to the above gospel:

*Important in terms of function. Form, it looking good, can't be measured. No amount of Galvan, Ross, or Able reels on this earth can equal the form of a Hardy Perfect**.

**Alas, I had to sell all mine as I felt like a douche. Still!

One more addendum to the above gospel:

*Important in terms of function. Form, it looking good, can't be measured. No amount of Galvan, Ross, or Able reels on this earth can equal the form of a Hardy Perfect**.

**Alas, I had to sell all mine as I felt like a douche. Still!

You still have your tweeds & jodhpurs though, so you got that going for you!

I agree with you when it comes to trout fishing. Not sure I'd agree if you're trying to stop albies, etc.

9' 5wt Winston GVX...broke the tip this weekend :cry:
9' 4wt POS Okuma something or another from some random store. Surprisingly not a bad caster
9' 5wt Cabelas POS medium action rod that nobody likes

Looking at getting a 7wt and possibly a 3wt.

Back