What Fly Rods And Reels Do You Use?

This is a man that only fishes Hardy.

Looking back at my original post in this topic, it is clear I am this man. In my own defense, tho there was a time that I was literally clad head-to-toe in Hardy (waders, boots, jacket, even some clothing) in additional fishing to my Hardy/Hardy rod/reel combos, this was solely on account of me somehow being on Hardy pro forms, or whatever they call it, in the late 00s that had Hardy everything costing me basically Reddington prices.

This topic, tho, is really giving me some kind of white guilt, or something to that affect, and has me wanting to JLS all those reels in the firepit tonight.

After many broken tips and frustrating experiences with lots of rods (some cheapos, some not so cheap), I picked up a Reddington ButterStick 5wt a few years ago. That's my go-to nowadays, and I'm done with carbon anything. Seems even I can't break it, and it casts well enough for what I need it for. Going on season 3 with it now and could not be happier, even though I've completed de-volved.

This is a man that only fishes Hardy.

Looking back at my original post in this topic, it is clear I am this man. In my own defense, tho there was a time that I was literally clad head-to-toe in Hardy (waders, boots, jacket, even some clothing) in additional fishing to my Hardy/Hardy rod/reel combos, this was solely on account of me somehow being on Hardy pro forms, or whatever they call it, in the late 00s that had Hardy everything costing me basically Reddington prices.

This topic, tho, is really giving me some kind of white guilt, or something to that affect, and has me wanting to JLS all those reels in the firepit tonight.

Send them to me. I will cleanse them in the healing waters of lake Michigan.

Those old Pflueger 1494s were classy, and were like the old Bean boots, you could just get new parts and use the same one and use it for 50 years.

As to Abel, Galvan, etc., if you want to buy something totally made in America that will last generations, no reason to feel bad about it. Nice to hand stuff down.

Nor older Hardy reels either; no idea what Hardy is up to now. The Winston Hardy Perfects are pretty nifty, and at one time they were almost giving them away, as they initially drastically overpriced them. Something ridiculous like test-cast a BX rod or something and buy one for $150 IIRC, and I may not.

The Orvis CFOs, were, I believe, originally made by Hardy as well and were a nice click and pawl reel. I think the early Battenkills were, too.

You can basically kill anything that flies with a plastic stock semiauto shotgun, too. Nothing wrong with that.
Some snooty guys like shotguns with two barrels though.

And I ain't never wore no breeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can basically kill anything that flies with a plastic stock semiauto shotgun, too. Nothing wrong with that.

Some snooty guys like shotguns with two barrels though.;)

And I ain't never wore no breeks.
And btw, forgot the wink emoji about the shotgun thing. I are one uv um. Won pumps and semiautos in raffles and gave them away to sons of my friends and coworkers.

Still never wore breeks, though, but bear no ill will to those who did.
Heck, I'd go on one of those driven pheasant hunts and ride in a Range Rover if I had the chance. Probably break down though. ;)

And Burberry jackets are pretty cool.

I'll try to post some reel pics.

I have a pile of them in the corner. Not sure how many and I’d probably not recognize some of them. Up to ten weight, but one mystery 10’ rod that might be heavier. I built most of them. I broke my Sage 490 LL last year so I’m bummed. My other freshwater rod is a 6wt. I don’t remember the brand. It used to be 9’ but I broke the tip so it’s 8’8 or so.

I have various Lamsons, battenkills, and other stuff. Don’t know about others, but I need much more than a line holder where I catch many trout.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pile of them in the corner. Not sure how many and I’d probably not recognize some of them. Up to ten weight, but one mystery 10’ rod that might be heavier. I built most of them. I broke my Sage 490 LL last year so I’m bummed. My other freshwater rod is a 6wt. I don’t remember the brand. It used to be 9’ but I broke the tip so it’s 8’8 or so.

I have various Lamsons, battenkills, and other stuff. Don’t know about others, but I need much more than a line holder where I catch many trout.

View attachment 231083
A few years ago, I picked up a new LL590, and called Sage and the lady said they had blanks. That was before the buyout though. I heard another guy broke one and they sold him a new LL for $380. Strictly hearsay on the $380 though. Never hurts to give them a call. That is a special rod.

A few years ago, I picked up a new LL590, and called Sage and the lady said they had blanks. That was before the buyout though. I heard another guy broke one and they sold him a new LL for $380. Strictly hearsay on the $380 though. Never hurts to give them a call. That is a special rod.
Those LL are awesome rods. I have a 4711.

Back in the day I sent Sage several horrific examples of broken rods and they were good about sending replacement blanks for free. Now it doesn't even look like they are available.

1658627267944.png

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back