What dog food do HTers feed their dogs?

Purina pro for a long time, but switched over to Royal Canin at the suggestion of our vet. Both labs are on it now, and it's good for their coats. Greta has a fine coat & some skin issues with dryness, and Royal Canin seems to keep that under control while still being eager to eat it.

But like @Dunning Kruger's pooches, these two idiots of ours will eat just about anything and leave enough drool in their wake to waterski on.

I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport year round, and add olive oil in the fall and winter.

10yr old border collie is on hills j/d snd does great with it. Our gsp puppy is on hills large breed puppy food. Another brand we used in thr past was anameat small company high quality food, they do have a good one for dogs with a lot of food allergies, aqualuk

My bride makes our lap dogs food and has for several years due to all the recalls and contamination reports.
We would prefer not to but the dog’s sensitive stomach seems to appreciate it.

There are a couple of these sites out there. I’m not sure who sponsors this one but it might be worth a peek.

I had just finished reading & looking into recent recall of 3 types of dog food due to a grain mold problem. I have been feeding Rio Wholesomes fishmeal/rice blend and not one of 3 of this Midwestern dog foods they make that was recalled. 28 dogs dead so far.

Now Rio has been throwing up more recently,which I attributed to his eating more rich elk scrapes,elk meaty bones, or one of the many rotten things he will wolf down given the chance anyway......daily on a ranch.lol He never had a problem before in 3 years with this food,which was recommended by Doberman Rescue of NM.
So with every brand I used to feed my old dogs from Nutro to Science Diet to Purina to ........they all have been recalled or are just junk food for dogs anyway with natural high price.

What semi-natural,good,ethicly produced dog food do you feed your dog or recommend?
I am not raw feeding organic veggie $20 per serving dog food to Rio the Rescue.....no matter what I think of the spoiled mutt. Nor ol roy nor purina...

This was just posted about recall under hounds & such here on HT
Purina pro Plan.
Cannot go wrong with Purina.
Good dog food.

Both my Lab (8yrs) and Hound (7yrs) get Diamond Lamb and Rice. On top of meat scraps and such. Both are healthy and very active dogs.

Old lab gets Coscto Mature Chicken Rice & Egg. The puppy gets Purina Pro Plan large breed sport puppy. This is what the breeder started her on and we usually stick with that until they get to move to adult food. But I might stick with PPP for a change. Vet and breeder were ok with both, both dogs doing well. Tried the Blue Buffalo stuff when the old lab was 2yrold but gave her major quirts. Vet said the stuff was way too rich and a complete waste of money.

I usually use a special food with additives. Consult your veterinarians. I am confident because I have had experience in the selection of food. Once I bought a puppy and I was interested and important to know how to properly feed the dog so that it would be healthy. I decided that the best way to find out is to consult with a veterinarian. It was the right choice, the vet helped me. It's been about two years , my dog is healthy and energetic:) He also said that you need to combine natural food with https://petsmatters.net/shih-tzus-food-reviews-2021s-best-dog-food-for-shih-tzu/ special food.

Last edited:
I’ve got coonhounds. I feed the yellow bag of victor dog food. I’ve also feed purina one, sportmix, and black gold.

My personal experience (raising jack Russel Terriers) my entire adult life.

My wife and I did a deep dive into the dog food industry after one of our first pups died of liver and kidney failure years ago (Fed him a veterinarian widely recommended $$$ brand) and found some pretty alarming statistics and eye popping information about the pet food industry in the "United States" (Do your own research. Far too much to get into). Long story short. We will never feed our animals any USA made/produced pet foods PERIOD. I carry no proof or reason for our first pups liver and kidney issues other than our personal experience so take this with a grain of salt and once again do your own research if you so choose. We personally have been feeding our pups Canadian produced and imported foods without issue and very high quality of health in our pups.

I won't get into bashing or recommending any brand here on a forum. I will just say education is always a good thing. If anyone is interested in what we feed our pups you can PM me.
Shoot me a pm, please

Scrolled through this all before I answered - Victor! American made, and works well for my two high drive Griffs.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back