Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What dog food do HTers feed their dogs?

We've been feeding our 2 dogs Fromm since we got them. It is on the expensive side but it has the right ingredients and every batch is thoroughly looked at throughout the entire process.
No problems thus far

We have tried switching to comparable but cheaper foods and they never do as well on them

Purina Pro Plan Sport is a great one. We switched my lab to Royal Canine. Wife's decision. For the record, he is loaded with energy, thin, and a very shiny coat. She orders the food from Chewy.

I feed my current Lab a RAW food diet. This started with the prior dog that had severe digestive issues. Raw food helped him tremendously and it seemed pretty harsh to make a puppy eat kibble as the older dog had meat. She was on kibble briefly after he died, but the bloating and weight gain were very apparent.
I've tried several variations but the standard is a fatty ground meat (usually game), brown rice, egg, and veggie like carrot or broccoli. During the season she usually gets some salmon. I will add some oil also. I give her quit a few meaty bones and she is older so gets two cosequin tabs a day . This diet worked wonders for my old dog and seems to keep this one happy and at a good weight. This diet can be a pain, but as a hunter it is nice to discard nearly nothing from a big game carcass. I really like the results and sometimes will go on and on talking about it like a Vegan on the internet. So I'll stop here, if anyone is interested in my experience I will happily share what I've learned over the ten plus years doing this.

Tried a couple, including the raw diet exercise. I’ve been guiding three or four days a week with my shorthairs, last six years, tough keeping them energized. Went back to the Kirkland brand, works good for them.
During the season what ever trimmings the cooks at the lodge come up with get added in as well.
During the summer in Alaska Molly will supplement with fish she catches.

Pro plan for a long time, however the price as gone insane near me. Switched over to diamond for while and I don't think thats all that great either. Take a lot to keep weight on my hard running hounds during season. They do the best when they are getting fed from the slop pot everyday

I second the earlier post of Fromm's dog food as we use the Adult Gold Large Breed for our golden retriever. I researched dog foods five years ago and discovered Fromm's. Though there are many exceptional dog foods, Fromm impressed me as a family-owned business in Wisconsin with quality ingredients, great nutrition and, at the time, zero recalls. I've also spoken with their customer service nutritionist and this convinced me to go this route. Hope this helps.

Did pro plan for a couple years, but dog wound up with bumps/zits on his forehead. Switched to Nutrisource performance, vizsla acne cleared up and dog thrived on it until he was almost 15.

Plan to feed that to the next one if we can get a pup on the ground this spring. Its not cheap, but no issues with recalls, and we're a one dog house.

For day after day, week after week duck hunting,
I feed the highest fat/highest protein kibble on the market
Redpaw PowerEdge 38k (25% fat/38% protein)
For summer training where the labs swim every day, I feed Redpaw 32k
Redpaw is popular with long-distance mushers.

Iames low fat in the blue bag. My Lab had a near death experience with colitis and vet recommended low fat. Both dogs do well on it. When we are hunting they go back on "normal" dry dog. I tried high protein Purina one hunting season three years ago. Still think I can smell the scent of runny dog shit in the back of my Jimmy. Ugh!

Purina pro sport for all 4 dogs. Never had an issue with it. We get it delivered on a schedule by chewy and it saves a few bucks a bag over what we'd have to pay if we went to the store to pick it up.

Either Purina Pro Plan or Pro Plan Sport for my Brittanies. Going on 15 years and no problems.

Iames low fat in the blue bag. My Lab had a near death experience with colitis and vet recommended low fat. Both dogs do well on it. When we are hunting they go back on "normal" dry dog. I tried high protein Purina one hunting season three years ago. Still think I can smell the scent of runny dog shit in the back of my Jimmy. Ugh!
After all the ribbing you have endured with regard to your crap in the fire thread, you are going to finish this post with that sentence? ;):ROFLMAO:

Nature's Recipe. Chicken and Pumpkin. works well for the pound puppy and lab. probably too well for the lab as she's getting plump lately.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back