PEAX Equipment

What dog food do HTers feed their dogs?

hank4elk

I had just finished reading & looking into recent recall of 3 types of dog food due to a grain mold problem. I have been feeding Rio Wholesomes fishmeal/rice blend and not one of 3 of this Midwestern dog foods they make that was recalled. 28 dogs dead so far.

Now Rio has been throwing up more recently,which I attributed to his eating more rich elk scrapes,elk meaty bones, or one of the many rotten things he will wolf down given the chance anyway......daily on a ranch.lol He never had a problem before in 3 years with this food,which was recommended by Doberman Rescue of NM.
So with every brand I used to feed my old dogs from Nutro to Science Diet to Purina to ........they all have been recalled or are just junk food for dogs anyway with natural high price.

What semi-natural,good,ethicly produced dog food do you feed your dog or recommend?
I am not raw feeding organic veggie $20 per serving dog food to Rio the Rescue.....no matter what I think of the spoiled mutt. Nor ol roy nor purina...

This was just posted about recall under hounds & such here on HT

The wife feeds our dog Gentle Giant. Nutrish if we can't find the first choice. I have no clue about either!

I give mine Nature's Domain, get it at Costco. Salmon with Sweet Potatoes Blend. Started them with Science Diet since we would give our Attack/Explosive Dogs in the Mil it. My male has a sensitive stomach so we made the switch and ever since we had no issues. They get plenty of scraps of elk and tuna from the hunting and fishing trips i make.

We use 4health, Tractor Supply's house brand. It's made by Diamond who also makes Taste of the Wild and a few others. Diamond isn't without previous recalls, just like pretty much any major manufacturer. But we've never had any issues and 4health is a good balance between quality food and having to sell a kidney to feed your dog.

I have been feeding Holistic Select. Dog does okay on it, but doesn't exactly eat it well anymore. Mixed it up this last time and bought a bag of Nulo. I go to a feed store a I like, and aske them what quality food they recommend. I prefer to buy from the feed stores over the box stores, but not sure if it means better food or not.

Eh... Costco's Kirkland Signature Mature Dog Food. we read review after review and found the big box brand in the top for mature dogs. We are not too specialty oriented... especially considering their typical inflated pricing. though I suppose one gets what they pay for.

The first five ingredients in this food are: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, egg product, and oatmeal. These ingredients show three good sources of animal protein – the chicken, chicken meal, and egg product. We don’t always find this many sources of animal protein in the first five ingredients, especially in foods for senior dogs.

You should note that Kirkland uses no corn, wheat, or soy in their foods, and no artificial preservatives or animal by-products.

My GSP is fed Diamond Brand Lamb and Rice. It has been a good balance of quality and price for us. He used to have some allergy issues with corn based foods. No issues since the change. Healthy coat, firm stools, happy dog.

Last edited:
I make all our elk and venison trim into 1/4 pound patties and package 7 together. That comes out to about 5 weeks per animal butchered. Our (non-working) Brittany loves it.

When that runs out, she gets same Costco Kirkland that @Sytes uses..

Purina Pro Plan...never heard a vet, trainer, or kennel owner say a bad thing about it.

I had just finished reading & looking into recent recall of 3 types of dog food due to a grain mold problem. I have been feeding Rio Wholesomes fishmeal/rice blend and not one of 3 of this Midwestern dog foods they make that was recalled. 28 dogs dead so far.

Now Rio has been throwing up more recently,which I attributed to his eating more rich elk scrapes,elk meaty bones, or one of the many rotten things he will wolf down given the chance anyway......daily on a ranch.lol He never had a problem before in 3 years with this food,which was recommended by Doberman Rescue of NM.
So with every brand I used to feed my old dogs from Nutro to Science Diet to Purina to ........they all have been recalled or are just junk food for dogs anyway with natural high price.

What semi-natural,good,ethicly produced dog food do you feed your dog or recommend?
I am not raw feeding organic veggie $20 per serving dog food to Rio the Rescue.....no matter what I think of the spoiled mutt. Nor ol roy nor purina...

This was just posted about recall under hounds & such here on HTIt's not to alarm anyone and we all have to make up our minds about this stuff.

My personal experience (raising jack Russel Terriers) my entire adult life.

My wife and I did a deep dive into the dog food industry after one of our first pups died of liver and kidney failure years ago (Fed him a veterinarian widely recommended $$$ brand) and found some pretty alarming statistics and eye popping information about the pet food industry in the "United States" (Do your own research. Far too much to get into). Long story short. We will never feed our animals any USA made/produced pet foods PERIOD. I carry no proof or reason for our first pups liver and kidney issues other than our personal experience so take this with a grain of salt and once again do your own research if you so choose. We personally have been feeding our pups Canadian produced and imported foods without issue and very high quality of health in our pups.

I won't get into bashing or recommending any brand here on a forum. I will just say education is always a good thing. If anyone is interested in what we feed our pups you can PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pressure can chicken thighs by the tens of pounds. Drumsticks as well. Anything I can find on sale. We mix in pumpkin and goats milk.

Pro Plan Sport for me too. When my dog was little, I got some training help from a professional sporting dog trainer, who happened to be a friend of my brother. That was what he used for his dogs, so I went with it and haven't had cause to reconsider.

Back