Dog Food

Canidae is what my dog will tolerate it gives her a shiny coat. She gets just as much raw meats and eggs as she does the canidae. Lab going on 9 years and everyone thinks she is 3. First dog I've used canidae on and probably will continue with it on next dog as long as the next likes it.
I was curious about canidae and went to the web site. I found it so curious that nowhere do they tell you the %protein and %f fat.
That's the first thing that should be mentioned. All life stages, WTF?? is that for a hard working dog, or a couch potato? What do you feed and does the bag say % protein and % fat?

I feed diamond naturals large breed adult chicken and rice formula. Missouri based company and good dog food and are good to the local communities.
We feed Diamond to two Airedales and a Rat Terrier. Weight easy to maintain, yard easy to clean, and for whatever reason nary a stinky dog fart.

I was curious about canidae and went to the web site. I found it so curious that nowhere do they tell you the %protein and %f fat.
That's the first thing that should be mentioned. All life stages, WTF?? is that for a hard working dog, or a couch potato? What do you feed and does the bag say % protein and % fat?
Screenshot_20220627-192242_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220627-192229_Chrome.jpg

Life stages; puppy, adult, senior. senior is a dog over the age of 7.

Hill's J/D is what our guy gets, only 1 1/2 but what our old dog is on and want to take care of the joints from an early age so they last better hopefully maybe.

that being said if the wife wasn't getting it discounted through work we would be going with annamaet i think she said our gsp would be on the red bag if we went that route

ultimately we end up having an extra 2-3 bags in storage at all times and rotate through because of the supply chain issues the past few years, doing that with some of our dry goods like pasta too

Dr. Arleigh Reynolds did his Ph. D. research on "The Effect of Diet and Exercise on the Storage and Utilization of Energy Substrates in Sled Dogs”. He also was a very successful sprint race musher which are races 20-30 miles long, similar to the mileage an upland dog can travel in a days hunt. Dr. Reynolds has been an consultant with many dog food companies including Purina, Iams, Hills, Royal Cannin, Anamaet, etc. He is a world expert on canine nutrition and muscle glycogen storage and utilization.

Based on his expertise, I choose a kibble high with at least 25% fat, %32 protein.

Her is a podcast that is relevant to this thread: The Extreme Upland Podcast: Dr. Arleigh Reynolds (Season2, Episode1)

I have been giving my dogs canidae and usually a little raw meat with it. Whatever I have thawed out for myself I’ll give them a small amount of, lately that has been a few little chunks of Moose steak or burger.
They love the raw meat.

View attachment 227458

I’ve had my Vizsla/ on it for 7 years. Gives her a sleek shiny coat and good digestive health.
New hunting dog owner question, does meat in food cause the dog to eat pheasants, ducks, etc when out hunting the birds with the dog?

I am confused about the raw diet or does food like this just have the taste baked into the kibble?

New hunting dog owner question, does meat in food cause the dog to eat pheasants, ducks, etc when out hunting the birds with the dog?

I am confused about the raw diet or does food like this just have the taste baked into the kibble?
#1 concern with beagles is them runnin deer. My beagles eat raw deer all fall and winter and I see no relationship with eating deer and runnin deer.

#1 concern with beagles is them runnin deer. My beagles eat raw deer all fall and winter and I see no relationship with eating deer and runnin deer.
Yep, but I’m more concerned with game birds, not deer, elk, or elephants. 🤣

I never had a dog that liked Pro Plan. I don't know what it is about it.
I fed it to two dogs. The most current dog stopped liking it about 6 months or so ago. Wouldn’t eat regular at all. Switched to Victor and he gobbled it up. Not sure what the heck changed.

I fed it to two dogs. The most current dog stopped liking it about 6 months or so ago. Wouldn’t eat regular at all. Switched to Victor and he gobbled it up. Not sure what the heck changed.

I had one that was just the opposite - I was feeding victor and she quit eating it. Had fed my dogs victor for years. Went back to Purina Pro Plan

dogs are just weird sometimes

Back