What do you want to be when you grow up?

I was very fortunate to spend my entire career doing what I loved. Out of college...Caterpillar-marketing...field sales for dealership later at age 29 VP marketing...my own dealership. All of the things all you mentioned as desirable were mine. Among the highs: flew to Paris and back on the concord, several trips to Europe on business, several African trips all the fishing and hunting I desired except never went stone sheep hunting ( just never took the time..to busy chasing other game) Same wife 60 years in July, great family...along with the normal challenges of rising them...thinking we had that job done only to learn "it ain't over till it's over."...shish I wish some better decisions were being made ! Life long testimony of Jesus Christ. Made my share of mistakes and have endured some trial and tribulation. Glad I got to play in the sand boxes of life.

It's always amazed me the difference in project managers. Some of them know there job like the back of there hand other guys are so clueless as to what's going on its embarrassing to talk to them. I mean thats a job that takes a lot of experience in my opinion and I see them throw these new guys in like its nothing. Like you said they must A. have a shortage for and B. a hell of a profit margin. The amount of money some of these guys drop the ball on I could live large on.

Five weeks ago I set some hubs that were 6 foot(anpproximately- as they were placed for the purpose of mass grading, not intended for forming concrete) off the edge of foundation, and I graded them to the top of AB so that the dirt work contractor had some vertical checks as he built up the pad.
Their concrete company showed up a couple days ago, said they didn’t need any survey as they do their own. They then pulled 10 feet off of my 6 foot offsets, placed 350 linear feet of footings 4 feet in the wrong spot, measured after they poured, found out they were 4 feet short. Somehow I’m still fighting with them as they insist I have some culpability.

How does one define what competency in CM is?😄

I’ve already spent over an hour this morning on my weekend coordinating schedules with my radiant heat sub, talking through my plumber’s frustrations and concerns with his boss/partner’s

Making some attempt to schedule is a good start!

Five weeks ago I set some hubs that were 6 foot(anpproximately- as they were placed for the purpose of mass grading, not intended for forming concrete) off the edge of foundation, and I graded them to the top of AB so that the dirt work contractor had some vertical checks as he built up the pad.
Their concrete company showed up a couple days ago, said they didn’t need any survey as they do their own. They then pulled 10 feet off of my 6 foot offsets, placed 350 linear feet of footings 4 feet in the wrong spot, measured after they poured, found out they were 4 feet short. Somehow I’m still fighting with them as they insist I have some culpability.
Pretty dumb on there part. Had they had you lay it out for them then something wasn't right they'd of had a leg to stand on.

I grew up in a small ag town. Always wanted to be a farmer/rancher. In the eighties that was really next to impossible to make happen. There was a farm in the family but no room. I got an education and moved on and had pretty decent career in natural resources. Retired and was able to make my dream reality by purchasing the family farm. Life is pretty dang good.

I love my job and feel very blessed, but like others, there is always the idea of the grass is greener on the other side. If finances weren’t a concern for me… I’ve always dreamed about driving freight trains. Especially through western states. Probably incredible God country that they see driving through there, the other people will never see.

Good question I can say that after having lots of joint issues and more PT than I care to remember.
I wish I could help people move better and feel better as a physical therapist.
I personally think it would be rewarding.

In that case the gc probably should have insisted on a survey. But that's out of my wheel house I don't know if that's how that works.

Don’t read too far into my quote. 😄 My experience with such situations is that whenever there’s a problem and a question over who didn’t do their job properly, as the GC it’s gonna probably cost us more money. 😄

As an aside, I have observed that when the culture of a company or subcontractor focuses more on avoiding liability than successfully completing a job with a high standard of quality there’s going to be a lot of things I’ll need to personally address in the end.

Work is always going to require problem solving skills more complex than F-bombs on-site and whiskey on the weekends can accomplish.

Last edited:
you-cant-go-back-and-change-the-beginning-but-you-can-start-where-you-are-c-s-lewis-removable-patch-173616_5000x.jpg

Careerwise, I would not have gotten married in college. But I wouldn't trade the experience and family I got out of it. It made me who I am and I'm following new goals ...

I think going to college I was so hell bent on proving I was "all grown up" that I sought out the hallmarks of "Wife and family and a good job" as proof to other people that I did that.

I grew up in a small ag town. Always wanted to be a farmer/rancher. In the eighties that was really next to impossible to make happen. There was a farm in the family but no room. I got an education and moved on and had pretty decent career in natural resources. Retired and was able to make my dream reality by purchasing the family farm. Life is pretty dang good.
I farmed into my early 20s it was an outstanding life. Watching the sun rise as you change water will not be forgotten.

you-cant-go-back-and-change-the-beginning-but-you-can-start-where-you-are-c-s-lewis-removable-patch-173616_5000x.jpg

Careerwise, I would not have gotten married in college. But I wouldn't trade the experience and family I got out of it. It made me who I am and I'm following new goals ...

I think going to college I was so hell bent on proving I was "all grown up" that I sought out the hallmarks of "Wife and family and a good job" as proof to other people that I did that.

For me, I think my desire for a wife and family superseded career ambitions. My job has always been a means to an end and a way to accomplish the lifestyle I want for my family.

However, I am finding a lot of personal affirmation in my professional capacities right now.

Actually, I’ve been pretty satisfied with my career choice, but I’m looking forward to the end of it in 5 years.
29 years total so far in Public Safety (Police & Fire), with the last 6 as Director, has been a good ride but has certainly taken some years off my life.

I have done a bunch of different things in my life and was able to structure the shiz show to where I fully retired at 50. That is the good. The bad is that out of 30 years of work I only enjoyed about 7 years of that, the rest was simply means to an end.

The hobby that I love (but almost never get to do much) is wood working/carpentry. I have built a few pieces of furniture, a couple of small structures and odds and ends. I can do anything with wood and not even look at a clock. I don't know why but it is just a thing for me.

Any GC Super that didn’t coordinate what points the concrete sub wanted surveyed in, how many points/corners, and size of offset needs to pack his desk up and move along.

Or more likely the concrete subs guy’s thought they knew better than the surveyor what the points should be and changed them without anyone else’s input…😄

One of my issues I had to help resolve on this last project between the surveyor and concrete contractor was an approximate 1’ elevation discrepancy between what the print called for and what was marked.

Once I got them talking to each other it turned out there was a different datum setting between the ways each was marking their elevations.

Believe it or not, a project manager doesn’t know all the specifics about how a sub accomplishes the scope of the work he has bid. Whether appropriate or not, I have to depend to a certain extent on the competence of folks who say they can do the work that an engineer specifies.
There’s a line management has to walk between “trust but verify “ and insulting the intelligence and competence of the guys doing the work.

The learning curve of people management is at least as difficult to for me to master as technical specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back