What do you want to be when you grow up?

I like how Alan Jackson put it:

“The older I get
The fewer friends I have
But you don't need a lot when the ones that you got
Have always got your back

And the older I get
The better I am
At knowing when to give
And when to just not give a damn”

I’m a contract IT project manager for critical infrastructure e.g. electrical grid, power stations, highways.

Interesting work, decent pay but can be demanding. Probably wouldn’t change as I get a lot of time hunting, fishing and other adventures.
I try to put myself in a 14yo perspective. All I can tell that person is focus on what you do well and recognize and avoid what you don’t do well. Avoid people who say “back in my day”’or “what worked for me…” The world today isn’t what it was. Your goal shouldn’t be retirement. It should be making a positive impact.

Or more likely the concrete subs guy’s thought they knew better than the surveyor what the points should be and changed them without anyone else’s input…😄

One of my issues I had to help resolve on this last project between the surveyor and concrete contractor was an approximate 1’ elevation discrepancy between what the print called for and what was marked.

Once I got them talking to each other it turned out there was a different datum setting between the ways each was marking their elevations.

Believe it or not, a project manager doesn’t know all the specifics about how a sub accomplishes the scope of the work he has bid. Whether appropriate or not, I have to depend to a certain extent on the competence of folks who say they can do the work that an engineer specifies.
There’s a line management has to walk between “trust but verify “ and insulting the intelligence and competence of the guys doing the work.

The learning curve of people management is at least as difficult to for me to master as technical specs.
A good PM walks that trust but verify line very well. It's like a 6th sense. If it doesn't feel right or look right, it's probably not right. Being thorough and organized is super important.

Our superintendents are typically the boots on the ground guys. They're out there verifying and confirming things. They're working in usually 1 job at a time, whereas a PM is doing 4 to 6 jobs at a time.

Having experience in the field is priceless. Far too many young PMs have 0 field experience. They just go to college and get a degree and don't really understand construction in real life. They only know it from a schedule and school.

I love it so far. Currently focusing most of my energy on wrapping up an $18 million hospital project.

There must be a huge demand out there right now for competent CM.

My company is providing the surveying for a big commercial park that has some 1/4 million sq ft cold storage warehouses being built. The lack of real management is making it a nightmare. No knowledge, they don’t have a schedule, no weekly meetings, nothing. No coordination or control over subs. Just pure chaos. They’ve poured footings in the wrong spots, moved the same dirt about 4 times, and have had some serious close calls with scraper traffic.

The PM is a well meaning kid but he’s a kid. Like 22 years old, just graduated college. This is his first job and he’s 1200 miles from the company’s home base, with zero support from anybody above him.
That's unfortunate. There is a big demand for sure currently. Is he the PM or the superintendent? Our superintendents are typically the ones on site every day! Either way, it sounds like the dude is in way over his head. Not a good way to learn...

Far too many young PMs have 0 field experience. They just go to college and get a degree and don't really understand construction in real life. They only know it from a schedule and school.
The best is when they ask what your going to do with all the dirt when you have excess and you tell then we'll were just gonna dig a big hole and bury it. There's one of two reactions you can tell a lot by which one you get.

I try to put myself in a 14yo perspective. All I can tell that person is focus on what you do well and recognize and avoid what you don’t do well. Avoid people who say “back in my day”’or “what worked for me…” The world today isn’t what it was. Your goal shouldn’t be retirement. It should be making a positive impact.
I agree, I have no plans to retire. I work 30 hrs a week and have 6 - 8 weeks vacation a year. I plan to keep working as long as I’m able.

That's unfortunate. There is a big demand for sure currently. Is he the PM or the superintendent? Our superintendents are typically the ones on site every day! Either way, it sounds like the dude is in way over his head. Not a good way to learn...
His title is assistant PM. Not sure who he’s assisting. Someone back in the home office that doesn’t go to the site I suppose.

Geez, missed this thread so far.

When I started, I wanted to be either a vet, or a wildlife biologist. Didn’t realize at the time I could do both.

Later on, the option to do both became available to me. I spent about 10 years working in wildlife health. The work was exceptionally interesting. The politics and controversy completely overwhelmed any enjoyment. I bailed, and I’m still glad I didn’t fully commit to going that route.

I enjoy wildlife and habitat management way more than the disease work. I love working with landowners and producers. I love talking to hunters and birders. I love doing manual labor all summer. I rarely get to do actual surveys anymore, but enjoy it when I do. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

But I would be lying if I said I don’t look forward to retirement. The politics and red tape get old. It will be nice to not have to deal with those. I’ve always thought working at a plant nursery would be a great retirement gig. Or leading birding tours. Or installing solar water systems is pretty satisfying too. 😁

I rode a desk hard for 32 years. The satisfaction I got last summer after building 4 miles of fence was so much better!
Many people crave the feeling of manual labor. If you have never been proud as a peacock after building a fence or digging a ditch you may not understand. I personally crave physically challenging activities. I bet this forum has a lot of kindred spirits.
Unfortunately we have a finite amount of ability in us so desk jobs might be better to a lot of us. It can be particularly hard on men when they love a blue collar job but their body gives out. Lots of guys have a wood stove or a few cows just because they like to do a little hard work.

This is a tough one…

I have been in law enforcement for 26 years. It has been an adventure but there are definite draw backs.

If I could do it all over, I would try to get into the deep submersion unit or EOD in the Navy. I love the ocean and think doing the deep water exploration would have been a great adventure.

However, I am a very lucky man. I have a beautiful wife, an awesome son and can retire in about 4 years. I live comfortably and have way more than I deserve.
Congrats on the upcoming retirement. I'm curious why you're doing 30 years instead of 20?

I work LE in Utah as well and am eligible to be done (with 20 years of service) in 7 months. I'm planning to retire at 50 years of age with my 20. Would you mind saying why you went 30? You could send me a PM or not answer of it's too personal.

Stay safe brother. Things are pretty wild out there right now.

Glutton for punishment.
Yeah, I am I guess.
Cutting and splitting firewood. But it's mostly softwoods. Need to be twice as cautious working alone.

Starting on the porches when it warms up. Then the shop footers.

The H-brace fence work will have to wait til the thaw.

More firewood cutting in the forest as the day dictates.

I would not change a thing. 2022 cow 2.jpeg
Retirement is like being a kid, with responsibilities.

I went almost 10 years with a local agency then went to a federal agency. If I had stayed in Utah, I would be retired. In four more years, I will retire from the feds, get a paid move home and my retirement will be very close to 6 figures for life. It was a money move and not sure it was the best…

This can be filled under TMI. I got cancer at a young age (38) and now can not get additional life insurance. Following the cancer diagnosis/treatment, I worked very hard to get my salary as high as possible to take care of my wife and son. I got the the federal SES level but it has taken all the fun out of my job. Don’t ever wait to get additional life insurance. My work insurance will cover them if anything happens.

Financially they are now set and my son’s college will be paid for and my wife will be covered for life. I am healthy (healty-ish) and if my son keeps up at what he is doing in school, swimming, I will have a sweet retirement boat fund.

Last edited:
I went almost 10 years with a local agency then went to a federal agency. If I had stayed in Utah, I would be retired. In four more I will retire from the feds, get a paid move home and my retirement will be very close to 6 figures for life. It was a money move and not sure it was the best…

This can be filled under TMI. I got cancer at a young age (38) and now can not get additional life insurance. Following the cancer diagnosis/treatment, I worked very hard to get my salary as high as possible to take care of my wife and son. Don’t ever wait to get additional life insurance. My work insurance will cover them if anything happens.

Financially they are now set and my son’s college will be paid for and my wife will be covered for life. I am healthy (healty-ish) and if my son keeps up at what he is doing in school, swimming, I will have a sweet retirement boat fund.
Congrats on the smart move! Wish I would have went to the feds, but I didn't know what I didn't know. If you get down into southern Utah, hit me up and I'll buy you a cup of coffee. I'd love to sit and visit. Maybe I can learn something!

I'm still pretty young and thinking about going back to school anyways.

I'm a draftsman, but I found out pretty late that I, like many others here, really friggin like nature. I'm gonna get another degree in biology and try to work for KDWP.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back