What do you think?

IdahoBugler

I've been practicing repairing antlers on some deer that I have. Here are the first two attempts at doing it. It's fairly easy making the horn but matching the color is a killer. The antler material doesn't take stain well and you really have to rough it up to get it to stay at all. My biggest issue is getting the two part apoxy to match before adding the tine.

This is my first attempt. Fairly easy because the sheds are light in color but are fresh sheds from last year.
P1080226.jpg

P1080225.jpg

Here is my second attempt. This is a 28" buck I shot about 15 years ago. These antlers were tough to match up in color. Also since when I was younger I thought it was a good idea to add a thick coat of lacquer on them.
P1080241.jpg

I'll post some pics of the process a little later.

Canoe, IB must have done good on the repairs if you can't tell which ones were fixed! Yes, after talking to IdahoBugler about the antler repair process, it appears he is fixing older antlers and sheds that had broken tines or what not. He is working his way up to fixing the droptine buck he shot in '06 and wanted to practice a bunch before he fixed it. I told him once he got really good he could attempt to fix my '06 bull with 16" of royal missing.

Good job Bryce. They look good.

Thanks for clearing that up for me WileCoyote.

Canoe - Yes the sets have broken horns that I have repaired. The small two point set had one tine more then 8" broken off and the dark buck had two broken tines. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the fixes.

You know someone is sick in the head when they repair a set of 2 points...........I like it.

Have any before pics, for comparison ??

Awesome job by the way.......any tips on redoing some old weather faded and slightly cracked horns from a buck my ol' man shot back in the 60's ?!?!?

Here are a couple of before and after pictures of the 3X4 set I did.

P1080196.jpg

P1080199.jpg

Wires installed
P1080202.jpg

P1080203.jpg

The epoxy added.
P1080207.jpg

Small tine completed.
P1080212.jpg

Finished product.
P1080234.jpg

P1080232.jpg

P1080231.jpg

I'm actually working on an old set of sheds I found that had busted tines and weathered so bad it was changing colors. I'll post pics of the progress later.

Looks really good, makes me want to work on a piggy whitetail shed I picked up this spring that the squirrels found first.

Dang IDB....those look awesome. Would not have even known you did anything on that 3x4. I got a set of elk antlers 6x8 you'd probably have a hayday with.

Thanks guys for the comments. It's been pretty fun and I think I'm almost ready to try to repair the drop tine buck I shot.

Looks really good, makes me want to work on a piggy whitetail shed I picked up this spring that the squirrels found first.
It's surprisingly easy to do and pretty fun, you should start on it now before hunting season.

Dang IDB....those look awesome. Would not have even known you did anything on that 3x4. I got a set of elk antlers 6x8 you'd probably have a hayday with.
I haven't done any elk yet but I have a set that is pretty busted up that will be my next project after my droptine buck.

Those look real nice, how much time is involved?
It took me about 2 hours to add wires, mix putty and add the tines. One day to dry and another 2 hours to mix and match stains. Now the set I messed with this weekend took me a little while. I'm probably 6 hours into it and haven't started staining yet.

Here is the set I messed with this weekend. As you can tell it's pretty busted up and weathered. I just finished the epoxy on the horns and added the tines that were busted. I guess I accidently added a droptine to him also. :D Keep in mind I still have to dremel more groves and knicks in them. Then the fun part of staining them which I think might take a while.

I already started the process before I relized I hadn't taken pics yet.
P1080242.jpg

Right side before work.
P1080250.jpg

Right side with epoxy finished and tines added.
P1080253.jpg

Left side with a little work.
P1080248.jpg

Left side with epoxy finished.
P1080255.jpg

Complete set w/ nice little dropper.
P1080258.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member