Big Woods Bruisers 2022 version

glennw89

As I've posted before, my primary hunting each year is the pursuit of mature whitetail bucks in the big woods of Ontario. Folks have enjoyed me relaying my tales from the north before so I thought I would share my efforts from Fall 2022.

This is classic big woods country - rugged terrain, dense hardwood stands, thick conifers stands, lowland swamps, etc. Having more than 50 meters visibility is a luxury. There is zero agriculture and no "civilization" other than logging roads and ATV trails. I target remote areas as far removed from easy access as possible. I run a network of over 20 trail cams spread across several thousand acres.

For the last three years two bruiser mature bucks have dominated my hunting thoughts - Arnold and the King.

Arnold is perhaps the most "patterned" big woods buck I have hunted. I literally have dozens of photos from him in a relatively small 1 square mile area over the past three years - but have never glimpsed him. A major windstorm ravaged the forest in this particular area earlier this spring and made for very difficult hunting there. I had high hopes of hunting him based on a historic pattern of near daily activity around a primary scrape throughout early to mid November - but the storm changed that pattern sadly. Arnold wasn't sighted and lived to fight another day.

Image (4).jpeg

The King may be the largest deer I've ever had on trail cam in the big woods. He's a ten point with enormous tine length. My best chance came in mid November with fresh snow on the ground and my Kimber Montana 257 Roberts in my hand. I cut large running buck tracks and knew that I bumped a large buck. A few hundred meters later I tracked the buck past a trail cam I had monitoring a topographical pinch point and discovered that I was less than a hour behind the King. Exciting to say the least - but it was not to be as I could not close the distance as he climbed a mountain and snow conditions deteriorated as the day went on. Long live the King - till next year hopefully.

Image (3).jpeg

Image (5).jpeg

Thankfully, I can also relate a story of success. I had sent my brother in law to an area bordering a lake that was in the same general area I had been hunting the King and Arnold. Fresh snow meant he cut a buck track quickly and within an hour was standing over the largest antlered deer of his hunting career, a unique 8 point I had dubbed the High 8. I hadn't been able to hunt the morning with him, but was able to arrive in the afternoon to help finish the drag and extract via ATV.

Image[1].jpeg

In addition to the King and Arnold, the following three bucks were also on my radar - but again no sightings.

Image (3).jpeg
Mr. Funky

Image[1].jpeg
Six Shooter

Image[1] (2).jpeg
Louis

Pursuing these big woods ghosts gets in your blood. It's something you either love or hate (given that you'll spend day after day seeing no or very few deer) - but it has been a lifelong passion for me. Can't wait till 2023 when hopefully I can meet the King or Arnold in person .....

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing those pics ! I have hunted Northern Ontario many times, but was never lucky enough to run into a buck like those.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back