What did you learn elk hunting this year?

Don't make the wife hike from Coon Creek Summit to the Bruneau river. Her toe nails are still bruised.

I learned a few new ones.

16 year old son freezes up solid when there is a bugling/pissing bull at 8 yards.

Hunting big country while injured stinks.

13 year old son can shoot under pressure.

Tag soup is OK.

My favorite past time in my elk area is spotting sheep.

.277 bullets kill elk very handily.

Drop camp hunters from Nebraska are afraid of their own shadow while on the mountain.

I learned regardless the outcome - tag soup or tag filled, time spent in the outdoors is a slice of heaven on earth.
Merry Christmas all!

Tracking elk all morning with only a fleeting glimpse from time to time, then finally cradling my rifle on a solid rest with a steady sight picture ... only to hear, then watch "my" elk dropped by a Kentucky hunter near his ATV on a logging road ... I learned to happily share the exuberance and excitement of the first elk taken by a NR hunter on his first trip west. Expecting to be disappointed and angry, I could not help but smile at the sight of this guy dancing a jig and grinning from ear to ear.

I learned that my wife can shoot a cow elk at 306 yards using my pack as a rest....

AND.....

She can pack with the best of them.....
Matt

Front quarter/backstrap boned out....
IMG_0454.jpg

The Kill.....
IMG_0447.jpg

Shot from the dead tree at the top of the ridge, the little small dead tree........
IMG_0444_zpsba891c49-1_zps35552286.jpg

Go out Saturday night,drive to hunting area in morning, fall asleep in pick up and miss first light. Wake up and spot a nice bull from the pick up, walk up the hill and shoot said bull, call in friends to help pack it out an be back to watch football Sunday night .

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back