Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What caliber are you using to get pass through shots on elk

This is actually incorrect. A bullet kills by creating a wound channel that causes either damage to the nervous system or rapid loss of blood leading to CNS shutdown/hypovolemic shock.
A bullet that expands on impact and/or comes apart will leave a larger "wound channel" and therefore more tissue damage. Greater trauma = more bleeding = quicker death. I have seen the same size exit wound and same placement in different animals produce three times the bloodshot. It depends on bullet construction, size of animal, and velocity on impact (i.e. gas in the load and range to target).

I don't think exit wound is terribly important. But then I typically hunt big game when there's snow on the ground. The only animals during nearly sixty years hunting that went further than fifty yards (raghorn elk, bull moose, kudu) were poorly hit. The rest succumbed fairly quickly to 165, 180 (most), or 190 gr 30-06 cup and core lead. As often as not there was no exit wound in the large animals that dropped quickly. The largest animal, a Cape buffalo bull, was shot with a mere 250 gr 375 Barnes TSX and though it required a follow up, that bull was pretty much dead on his feet after a hundred yards. Shot in the boiler room behind right shoulder quartering away on the run. No exit. The bullet was lodged inside the ribs behind opposite shoulder. Even at just 60 yards, cup and core WOULD NOT have been sufficient in that situation. Not 250 gr anyway. First buffalo three years ago required only one of those bullets front on at 110 yards. It went twenty yards and tipped over. No exit.

A bullet that expands on impact and/or comes apart will leave a larger "wound channel" and therefore more tissue damage. Greater trauma = more bleeding = quicker death.
Yes and no. Wound channel depth and width both come into play. A 4K fps ballistic tip will leave a massively wide wound channel, with little depth. The same velocity in a FMJ will leave a very deep wound channel with little width. And then, there is everything in between.

I've shot two cow elk broadside at about 200 yards each. Behind the shoulder. 7MM Rem mag and 140 Gr Partitions and had a complete pass through on both. Shot one cow behind the shoulder with a 30-06 at about 110 yards with a 165 GR Accubond and caught it under the hide on the opposite side. They all died quickly.

I used to shoot the standard 130 gr TTSX. Good performance, everything I shot with it died, pass throughs on elk out to 400 yds. I like the hammers more for 2 reasons.

#1: In my experience they are more accurate. The best 3 shot group with my load is 0.28 MOA at 200yds. Load build up was 10 or 12 shots, including laddering.
#2: I can push them faster than the TTSX in my gun, so the longer range performance is better. The bullet performance is also different, more reliable expansion at lower velocities, pedal shedding, etc.

I haven't shot the 117 or absolute. I have a box of 124's ready to load in my GF's gun. I shoot the 126's because I have a 1-9" twist, I have thought about shooting the 140 HH, but it is hard for me to chase another load when the one I have (zeroe'd at 300 yds) is point and shoot to ~350 and holds over 1500 ft-lbs past 500yds. That is perfect for elk and deer in MT.
Who needs a Creed or PRC? Awesome. mtmuley

Recently I've shot elk with a 7 RUM with 168 grn. TTSX and a 300 WM with 178 grn ELDX and both passed through. Shots were all under 300 yards and everything fell within 100 yards with healthy blood trails. I even shot one about 6 years ago with the dreaded 6.5 CM and 143 grn ELDX (gasp I know) 😔 hit double lung top of heart complete pass through from 160 yards and died in 3 steps. unfortunately it does work sometimes when you do your part.

This is actually incorrect. A bullet kills by creating a wound channel that causes either damage to the nervous system or rapid loss of blood leading to CNS shutdown/hypovolemic shock.
Picky, picky, picky.

The wound channel is created by the energy from the bullet.

The wound channel from a 180 grain bullet from a .357 Magnum pistol will only be a fraction of the size of a wound channel from a 180 grain bullet from a .300 magnum rifle.

The location of the wound channel in the animal is also critical. If that bullet from a high power rifle goes through the stomach of an elk there will probably not be any appreciable damage to that animal's nervous system or a rapid loss of blood, but that animal will probably run off and die.

Picky, picky, picky.

The wound channel is created by the energy from the bullet.

The wound channel from a 180 grain bullet from a .357 Magnum pistol will only be a fraction of the size of a wound channel from a 180 grain bullet from a .300 magnum rifle.

The location of the wound channel in the animal is also critical. If that bullet from a high power rifle goes through the stomach of an elk there will probably not be any appreciable damage to that animal's nervous system or a rapid loss of blood, but that animal will probably run off and die.
Well, you’re a little picky, picky yourself.

The wound channel is not created by energy. It’s created by additional velocity where the speed of the projectile through the tissue overcomes the ability of the tissue to move, which then causes additional tearing and shearing.

The FBI and Federal have done a lot of research in this.

No argument on location of the wound channel. I’ve long advocated shot placement has far more bearing than headstamp or bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you’re a little picky, picky yourself.

The wound channel is not created by energy. It’s created by additional velocity where the speed of the projectile through the tissue overcomes the ability of the tissue to move, which then causes additional tearing and shearing.

The FBI and Federal have done a lot of research in this.

No argument on location of the wound channel. I’ve long advocated shot placement has far more bearing than headstamp or bullet.
Its basic physics. Energy = Mass X Velocity squared. The fastest velocity known to man is the speed of light @ 186,282 miles /second.

When you turn on a light in a dark room, does the velocity of the light hitting you knock you down?

If you pick up a bullet and hold it in your hand, how big is the wound channel?

By themselves, velocity and mass don't do anything. Combine them and you create energy that does the work of making a wound channel.

"The FBI and Federal have done a lot of research in this." The Federal (government) also told us that if we got the Covid vaccine that we wouldn't get Covid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back