Caribou Gear Tarp

What aren’t low recoil cartridges more popular?

With all the cartridge's available buying reduced recoil loads is silly. Easy to just buy a rifle in a cartridge you can handle! My though on why this might happen is they don't sell well enough! Ammo manufacturer's are in business to make money. I doubt they'll discontinue something that sell's well!of course they could raise the price up so that they don't appear to lose as much but then they run into people that simply won't pay that much for the product.

OP, if you get that 243 I have a stash of factory Hornady Lite 243 loaded with 87gr SST that I stocked up on for my nephew when it was clearanced out; I'll send you a box if you want to try it. I shot some of it but don't recall much of a difference in recoil between the 100gr stuff I normally shoot.

OP, if you get that 243 I have a stash of factory Hornady Lite 243 loaded with 87gr SST that I stocked up on for my nephew when it was clearanced out; I'll send you a box if you want to try it. I shot some of it but don't recall much of a difference in recoil between the 100gr stuff I normally shoot.

Much appreciated, thank you. Let me do more research and I'll let you know.

Faster powder and lighter bullets can make a big difference in felt recoil. How much depends.
There is a big difference in shooting a 125 grain bullet over a fast powder as opposed to 180 bullet over RL 17 in my .308 Model 7. Not near as much in my 12 lb heavy barreled 700.
Find someone who reloads. Hodgdon has a whole list of reduced rifle loads. They can be tweaked to be just as accurate as more common loads.

I scoped myself every year for 5 years before any even thought to key me in one checking the fit of the stock. It was terrible, got some spacers and a thicker pad and it's only happened once since. It's not always as simple as "holding it tight"

A) speed sells, much like the other “s” word.

B) the next way to reduce recoil via ammo characteristics is by reducing projectile mass. Reducing projectile mass without reducing caliber generally results in a reduced BC. BC, like the “s” words, sells.

C) In most cases, those shy of recoil simply purchase a cartridge that produces less recoil in the first place.

D) Suppressors and muzzle breaks are getting to be quite popular these days. While I’m not sure how large the impact is on the reduced recoil ammo market, both reduce roil.

Getting scoped is a lot like vomiting after eating at a restaurant. You almost can’t make yourself go back, and when you do you struggle to taste the first bite, but once you take the bite and don’t throw up the problem goes away. Getting scopes is usually based on poor form, and/or inadequate eye relief. Get a low power, fixed power scope with plenty of eye relief.

Last edited:
I scoped myself every year for 5 years before any even thought to key me in one checking the fit of the stock. It was terrible, got some spacers and a thicker pad and it's only happened once since. It's not always as simple as "holding it tight"

Ask Europe how often she gets scoped by a 300 H&H. I’m willing to bet it’s somewhere between highly uncommon and hasn’t ever happened. Doubt she’d even think of a reduced recoil load. I could be wrong on both counts.

Last edited:
Reduced recoil loads are really good for one thing in my opinion and that's starting out kids. Especially for practice. In my experience they are less recoil than a .243 and often less noise which is an underated part of shooting for young kids. My daughter judges the "kick" of a rifle by how it sounds. As far as practical shooting and hunting for adults, as others have said, just get a round you can handle.

By the way, Remington reduced loads stink. They are loaded with corelocks and don't open up enough due to slower speeds. They give the performance of a round ball.

Ask Europe how often she gets scoped by a 300 H&H. I’m willing to bet it’s somewhere between highly uncommon and hasn’t ever happened. Doubt she’d even think of a reduced recoil load. I could be wrong on both counts.
The point wasn't a pad for the cushion, the point was the f-in' stock needed to be almost 2" longer. We didn't have the money for a new stock so I got a couple homemade spacers and a cheap pad. Fit is a bit deal. You can "hold 'er tight" all you want and still bust your face if you need a 13 1/2" LOP of you have an 11 3/4.

I have been scoped 2 times by the same 300 win mag both up hill, and just a little blood. That guns recoil was no fun and so it was trade for something else. I have always kept some low recoil rifles in the cabinet for guest and kids I was helping. My wife's 257 Roberts is my favorite and the 25-06 is a close 2nd. Like so many have said by using a lighter bullet is an easy fix for recoil. I use 139 and 140 grain bullets in my 7mm and the difference from 160s is major.

My son was shooting a .308 at 7 years old. We were running reduced recoil through it. He kept killing deer and we ran out of bullets. I bought the regular load and I couldn’t tell the difference. He killed a few more with regular rounds that year and never knew the difference.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back