PEAX Equipment

A new low recoil deer rifle

steveshuntn1

I know this has probably been answered but I have slightly different circumstances I would imagine. I’m one week out of having 2 rods and 10 screws put into my spine from a tree stand collapse on me last week ago Sunday. Just as a reference I have an incision from the middle of my shoulder blades to my tailbone….my daughter calls in my skin suit zipper! Anyway, Every rifle I own is .308 or larger. I’m thinking by December I will be able to hunt, but not with anything that has any punch. My doctor says I have a lot of recovery to do, but he thinks a very low recoil rifle and short walking distance from the truck I should be able to get in the woods. So I have a few ideas, but what do you guys think? .223. I’ve even been offered a 22 magnum. Looking for some advice and just something to read from my boring next few weeks.

Last edited:
22-250 or maybe 243 would also work. If you know someone local that can let you shoot a couple and see what is too much recoil would be the best way to know what will work for you. Hope you get feeling better. was it an old stand?

22-250 or maybe 243 would also work. If you know someone local that can let you shoot a couple and see what is too much recoil would be the best way to know what will work for you. Hope you get feeling better. was it an old stand?
Actually no….but the straps were and I had not updated or checked on it. I don’t have anyone to blame but myself, it was an accident that could’ve been avoided. I’m just glad I’m not dead or paralyzed and will recover. I lost out on my first elk hunt ever but I’m going to try again next year.6D30BA31-D9EB-4F1F-9339-BAA74ED43D85.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you considered a suppressor? If they're legal to hunt with in your state, they can oftentimes dramatically reduce the felt recoil. It's something new to buy, sure, but so is a rifle--and if you like your larger caliber rifles, it would make it so you don't need to buy and set up another one.

Rem 700 Sendero in 22-250....doesn't even move the eye from the scope's sight pic....or 700 Varmint 22-250

Last edited:
6.5 Grendel. Howa Mini. Hornady Black 123 ELD-M will work great for deer at that velocity range. If you can find some 123 SSTs or 129 SST or Interlock loads then it’s even better

Reactions: MJE
I'd say you're lucky with that fall (even though you probably don't feel that lucky). Hopefully you'll heal up quick

Have you considered a suppressor? If they're legal to hunt with in your state, they can oftentimes dramatically reduce the felt recoil. It's something new to buy, sure, but so is a rifle--and if you like your larger caliber rifles, it would make it so you don't need to buy and set up another one.
My brother actually ordered a suppressor back last year….still doesn’t have it if he gets it in he says I can use it for the season. I also may have a nice little deal on a 300 black out ruger American. So hopefully that’ll work out.

I'd say you're lucky with that fall (even though you probably don't feel that lucky). Hopefully you'll heal up quick
I’d say luck threw everything it had at me. I’m stocked to open my eyes every morning. This is my second dance with death in the last 5 years so I’m using up more than my share I’d say.

My brother actually ordered a suppressor back last year….still doesn’t have it if he gets it in he says I can use it for the season. I also may have a nice little deal on a 300 black out ruger American. So hopefully that’ll work out.
Make sure it is held in a trust.

223 will work just fine. My big concern would be the physical stress required to recover the deer after the shot. Ortho injuries don't always heal as fast as we would like. I had 3 disc fused when I was in my early 30's and it took about 5 months before I was willing to put a pack on or lift heavy. Best of luck with your recovery.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back