PEAX Equipment

A new low recoil deer rifle

22-250 or maybe 243 would also work. If you know someone local that can let you shoot a couple and see what is too much recoil would be the best way to know what will work for you. Hope you get feeling better. was it an old stand?
I very much like the idea of shooting some of your buddies' guns to see what the recoils feel like. Everybody has a different definition of "low recoil." When I think of low-recoil deer rifles, the .243 and the 7mm-08 immediately come to mind, but neither are "no recoil."

If God had wanted you to climb trees he would of given you bearclaws
I say 17 hornet with 21 gr hammers

I’ve killed lots of deer with a 223/5.56 using 75-77gr ammo, I favor Mk262 ammo if you can find it. But all my biggest bucks have been shot with a 243 and 100gr sierra game king. Really anything between a 223-308 will work if your conscience about the distance and your abilities.

If I were you I would find a combo of lite weight and lite recoil and go from there.
Hope you have a speedy recovery!

.223, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel all are medium game capable with minimal recoil.
If you you reload you can load up one of your 308s with 125 gr Nosler BT or Sierra Pro Hunter over reduced load of H4895 or H4198.

I would think if you just put a muzzle brake on a .308 it would be incredibly manageable especially if you grabbed some low recoil rounds. You could probably get it done for a couple hundred bucks. I realize you might not like muzzle brakes or you might just want to get a new rifle (which I completely understand!!!). I have a brake on my 300 and it isn't a heavy kicker at all.

Just my .02.

223 will work just fine. My big concern would be the physical stress required to recover the deer after the shot. Ortho injuries don't always heal as fast as we would like. I had 3 disc fused when I was in my early 30's and it took about 5 months before I was willing to put a pack on or lift heavy. Best of luck with your recovery.
Yes sir I’ve got a group of folks who have told me put a hole in one and they’d do the work. Plus my daughter who was going to do the elk hunt with me said she wants to learn to clean a deer where it falls and pack it out. She’s disappointed, but says just gives her more training time for 2023.

I was thinking a 6.5 Grendel with either a break or suppressor would be the ticket. Of course same idea with 243, 6mm or 6.5 Creed would be good too.

No need for a brake with the Grendel.
MY Granddaughter is like 4'6" and Maybe 90 pounds with her hunting stuff on. It shoots dead on out to 150 yards and SLAMS the deer.
We shoot a 123 gr sts.
jo-prat-g.jpg

IMG-1968.jpg

josie-2021-deer.jpg

6 creedmoor/.243 would work. I have mine suppressed and they are a dream dream to shoot.
If legal where you’re at. I wouldn’t over look a .223.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back