Relative Recoil Between Cartridges

I have posted this probably two dozen times, but I believe it still holds true.

In the video Randy proclaims a 7/08, or a 308. I'll add a 3rd, the 338 Fed.

Deer, or Elk , you won't go wrong.

I'd take an .06 over any of them. mtmuley

I am new to both hunting and shooting, and in the market for a big game (elk/deer) rifle. As I am new, I am looking for a rifle I can spend some time with to improve my accuracy, and not have it totally kick my butt. (Side note: I have a .22LR that I practice with too.)

To find out what I am comfortable with I am trying to get my hands on rifles chambered for various cartridges. But, as I have little experience shooting rifles I am hoping some of you can help tell me if my experience matches their own.

To date I have shot a .308 Win, a 7mm-08, and a .30-06. Both the .308 and 7mm-08 had extremely manageable recoil, and I did not find them uncomfortable to shoot, even after 20 or so rounds.

The .30-06 however felt like getting kicked by a mule. After two shots I had the flinches, and after another shot or two I stopped. It was a decidedly unpleasant experience.

My question is this: is the difference in recoil between these cartridges generally this great, or was it the gun I was shooting?

I know the gun itself can make a big difference so it’s worth noting that the .308 and 7mm-08 were newer guns likely manufactured in the last 10 years, and the .30-06 was my friend's grandfather's 1940s era gun.

I also have a 12 GA, and have shot others and have no problems there either.

Thanks all for your help.
Would suggest the 30.06 150 gr Hornady S.S.T. bullet . Note; a "muzzle brake" will help with the recoil issue. Ask your gun smith !

Would suggest the 30.06 150 gr Hornady S.S.T. bullet . Note; a "muzzle brake" will help with the recoil issue. Ask your gun smith !
For deer, absolutely. For elk, I’d go with a bonded bullet, a Nosler Partition/Swift A-Frame, or a mono. They’re tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back