What are your Signature Dishes?

I think the 3 things I’d be known for is steaks, biscuits and gravy and Hungarian Goulash.

If you guys want a killer goulash recipe, google Jo Cooks Hungarian Goulash. You can sub game meat for the beef in the recipe. Sometimes I even throw in a breasted pheasant and bone in pheasant legs. It’s frickin delicious.

The backstrap sandwiches

Make up your rub I use brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and pepper, onion powder and onion flakes. Smoke the backstrap whole til desired temp. Rest and slice thin. Serve on kaiser rolls and drizzle whatever your favorite vinegar based bbq sauce is over the top. Very simple but it's delicious and the rub makes for a sweet/hot combo.
You have my attention

A couple things I have done, and fed to a few people with great results, that aren't common, are.....

-chili made with smoked, and then braised, shanks. One of my favorites of all time.

-posole verde with turkey legs and thighs. I think I've also made it once with squirrel quarters.

-the souped up chicken fried steak from the Meateater cookbook. We call it schnitzel at our house. Pounded cutlets dredged in flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs. Fried til golden brown.

Not sure if they are signature dishes or not, but that's what came to mind.

I think the 3 things I’d be known for is steaks, biscuits and gravy and Hungarian Goulash.

If you guys want a killer goulash recipe, google Jo Cooks Hungarian Goulash. You can sub game meat for the beef in the recipe. Sometimes I even throw in a breasted pheasant and bone in pheasant legs. It’s frickin delicious.
I was checking out this recipe and it looks fantastic, going to give it a try this week. Thanks for sharing!

My top 3 for company:
German rouladen - great with any big game we have tried, bit involved but worth it.
Etouffee - with a homemade smoked andouille, halibut, and shrimp.
Whole back strap on bbq with veggies and the MeatEater lemon butter sauce. Easy and delicious!

i'm the most enthusiastic cook in the family and primary chef in my marriage. if my wife and family said i had a signature it'd probably be mexican. or anything off the grill.

note, i have a massive distaste for "fancy" mexican food, especially fancy mexican restaurants. mexican food is supposed to be simple. think old school family mexican sit down restaurants and hole in the wall counter serve. that's what the good stuff is.

but personally, i also like to get a little creative a la Taco Bell, if you will. my favorite is still homemade cheesy gordita crunches. they're just a tortilla with cheese melding it the outside of a hard taco. i call this one a quesaco, a quesadilla taco:

much butter involved
IMG-0683.jpgIMG-0688.jpg

homemade smoked salsa:
IMG-9229.jpgIMG-9231.jpgIMG-9232.jpg

i like to just utilize whatever have laying around. sourdough pizza bites:

IMG-9173.jpg

just using what had laying around - mule deer stir fry. pity i had no green onions, cilantro, onions, or bell pepper:

IMG-9138.jpg

my last super bowl feast. homemade salsa, two sets of smoked wings, teriyaki and a dry rub. one set of baked hot wings:

IMG-9010.jpg

simple. broiled nachos with green chile salsa. secret is to sprinkle garlic powder and chile powder on the cheese before broiling:

IMG-8915.jpg

homemade egg nog. so easy. you'll never buy store bought again:

IMG-8667.jpg

and of course, my wife's favorite. smoked wild game burgers:

IMG-8321.jpgIMG-8343.JPG

it's massively harder to have fun in the kitchen with an infant in the house now.

Last edited:
I make a mean bourguignon as well. Woo’d my French girlfriend over with it early on our courtship.

You ever have success using game instead of beef? Didn’t personally give me the results I’d hoped.
No because the seam fat in a good Chuck really brings a lot of flavor. Also the texture of the meat is different in our lean wild game. Finer and more apt top break down, especially after the long cooking. I bought 4 lbs of stew meat from Costco, and it was marked PRIME, so it brought quite a bit of fat with it.

Pan seared lamb chops.

The Kent Rollins bbq beans recipe.

Diced and roasted sweet potatoes.

Dutch oven peach cobbler.

My wife loves my chicken fried venison.

Those are the main things people ask for when coming to my house for dinner.

i'm the most enthusiastic cook in the family and primary chef in my marriage. if my wife and family said i had a signature it'd probably be mexican. or anything off the grill.

note, i have a massive distaste for "fancy" mexican food, especially fancy mexican restaurants. mexican food is supposed to be simple. think old school family mexican sit down restaurants and hole in the wall counter serve. that's what the good stuff is.

but personally, i also like to get a little creative a la Taco Bell, if you will. my favorite is still homemade cheesy gordita crunches. they're just a tortilla with cheese melding it the outside of a hard taco. i call this one a quesaco, a quesadilla taco:

much butter involved
View attachment 254966View attachment 254967

homemade smoked salsa:
View attachment 254968View attachment 254970View attachment 254969

i like to just utilize whatever have laying around. sourdough pizza bites:

View attachment 254972

just using what had laying around - mule deer stir fry. pity i had no green onions, cilantro, onions, or bell pepper:

View attachment 254973

my last super bowl feast. homemade salsa, two sets of smoked wings, teriyaki and a dry rub. one set of baked hot wings:

View attachment 254975

simple. broiled nachos with green chile salsa. secret is to sprinkle garlic powder and chile powder on the cheese before broiling:

View attachment 254976

homemade egg nog. so easy. you'll never buy store bought again:

View attachment 254977

and of course, my wife's favorite. smoked wild game burgers:

View attachment 254978View attachment 254979

it's massively harder to have fun in the kitchen with an infant in the house now.
Ur gonna need to come off that smoked salsa recipe. Just sayin.

@TEEPEECREEPIN FREAK! Show em the crunch wrap Supreme.

Pretty much guaranteed to get a lonely chef laid.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back