Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What are you currently reading?

Two Years Before the Mast is a memoir by the American author Richard Henry Dana Jr., published in 1840, having been written after a two-year sea voyage from Boston to California on a merchant ship starting in 1834.

I attended a meeting in Dana Point and we will be returning for a 4 day Convention. The San Juan Capistrano mission is near there.

1687558271451.png

Headed to Africa next April for my birthday. My nightstand has...Cries of the Savannah, Death in the Long Grass, Thunder without Rain, Perfect Shot, Wildlife of Southern Africa. Listened to about 20 podcast episodes on visiting Africa. 10 months until head over. Feel free to PM if any advice on how to make this adventure the most memorable or successful.

16882276267013873588956850010231.jpg

I just finished these 2. They are a fantastic resource for anyone who wants a really functional career.

F339F198-16FC-4774-AA43-62D1AF91F12B.jpeg
Just finished All the Pretty Horses. Damn. Great book, but damn. I think I need to switch to something lighter before starting the next book in the series. I don't know if my mental health can take it.
Are they all like this? Reminded me a little of Jim Harrison’s short story “Revenge”.

Rereading House of Rain by Craig Childs. Library in Canon City is limited selective. Still a great book about anasazi ancestral Puebloan history and culture, especially if you have visited or lived on the Colorado Plateau.

Currently reading Col. John Patterson's book, The Man-eaters of Tsavo. Fantastic account one of the most incredible hunts of all time. Also the basis of the great movie The Ghost and the Darkness.

Currently reading Col. John Patterson's book, The Man-eaters of Tsavo. Fantastic account one of the most incredible hunts of all time. Also the basis of the great movie The Ghost and the Darkness.
No matter how he tries to describe the heat at the bridge site, he can’t even come close! Passenger trains run at night from the coast upcountry for this reason.

Just finished Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Good, but it took me some weeks. Quite interesting social commentary, particularly given how long ago she wrote it.

Next up another Capstick book for some lighter fare.
You brave, brave soul. I tried reading Atlas Shrugged 10 years ago. By the time I got to the radio speech I just had to flip it over, as I felt I'd been hearing (or having it beat into me) the same message over and over, and over, and over, again already. I vehemently disagree with her whole philosophy, but think it is certainly worth knowing about it. Incredibly influential even today. I will say, she is very good at writing about smoking cigarettes.

Like others here, I feel I am spending more time reading through Hunt Talk forums/news articles than trying to pick up a book anymore. After drafting and writing all day for work, it's tough to want to read a novel.

I have heard of "Death in the Long Grass" for a long time and think maybe I should give it a shot.

You brave, brave soul. I tried reading Atlas Shrugged 10 years ago. By the time I got to the radio speech I just had to flip it over, as I felt I'd been hearing (or having it beat into me) the same message over and over, and over, and over, again already. I vehemently disagree with her whole philosophy, but think it is certainly worth knowing about it. Incredibly influential even today. I will say, she is very good at writing about smoking cigarettes.

Like others here, I feel I am spending more time reading through Hunt Talk forums/news articles than trying to pick up a book anymore. After drafting and writing all day for work, it's tough to want to read a novel.

I have heard of "Death in the Long Grass" for a long time and think maybe I should give it a shot.
I hear you…I had to skim some of the long-winded portions of diatribe. But I have to admit I found some uncanny parallels between the book and some aspects of our current social state. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But Death in the Long Grass was a much more enjoyable read. If you like hunting stories, adventure, and dangerous game it’s a great book 😁

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back