Yeti GOBOX Collection

What are you currently reading?

was it worth reading?
I thought so, but I just like to read different kinds of stuff and find ideas interesting. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Worth the read if you have a curious mind, I guess? But I’m no literary critic.

Full disclosure…The writing itself isn’t exceptional or elegant by any stretch IMO. It is looong. I gather some people really find the ideas too controversial.

Pro tip: you can totally skim the over-written parts and still get the gist.

Pro tip: you can totally skim the over-written parts and still get the gist.

I’ve heard “The Fountainhead” is a better story with the same message, but Atlas Shrugged is more refined.

Never a bad thing to read and learn new ideas! I’m glad I read as much of Atlas Shrugged as I did, even though I disagree with everything she believes. I also understand how she was raised in “communist” Russia, and how her work reflects her disdain for their interpretation of Marxism.

@longbow51 is also correct, her atheism starkly conflicts with Christianity, but it’s pretty impressive to watch how many politician “Christians” continue to laud her ideas.

Made lots of time to read in July, my favorite book this month was 'A Stone Is Most Precious Where it Belongs' by Gulchehra Hoja. She is a Uighur that fled to the U.S. and still has family back in China, who are being oppressed by the Chinese government.

Currently reading "Viral" by Alina Chan, which is about the origin of COVID. Really good so far.

Didn't realize that both books I mentioned are about China being secretive and shady until I finished typing

I'm re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird of Harper Lee. I've forever been mesmerized on how a phrase could sum up years of socio-political events. Let the Dead Bury the Dead is a poignant and pivotal chapter that emphasizes the weight of history, prejudice, and the cycle of hate that plagues society. Letting go of the past is essential for progress and this powerful message echoes throughout the novel, challenging readers to confront their own biases and reevaluate their perceptions of others. This chapter in my opinion remains a standout example of how literature can inspire critical reflection on society.

150583919X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

I'm almost done with this and it has been a book with a fascinating combination of hunting memoir, natural history guide, and philosophical meditation. Roosevelt shares his intense passion for hunting. Not only that, he demonstrates an impressive understanding of diverse animal species, their behaviors, habitats, and the impacts of environmental changes on their populations. I was spellbound by the intricacies of hunting and the graphic and overarching details provided by Roosevelt. The work is an exceptional testament to Roosevelt's love for the great outdoors, and serves as a fascinating revisit into an earlier era.

Made the Spokane run a couple of times in the last two weeks.

Doug Peacock's - Was it worth it? in the audio player. He read his own writing, which is quite good prose. He is not a very good reader though. It does oddly endear you to him in some way.

I will never agree with Peacock on every point. Abbey either, for that matter. I may be the only listener to see the irony of privilege when he relates trips around the world with Choinard, Brokaw, etc. There is little science, much philosophy, and excessive self aggrandizing in the book. It is entertaining, however.

Not exactly the Feel-Good, read of the summer.

The fact that NASA, and the Apollo missions was run by Hitler's favorite scientist is pretty gross. Also- to this day, the NASA Employee of the Year award is named after a guy, who ran a Nazi rocket factory durring the war. Every morning, outside that factory, they hung the 5 slowest Jews from the previous day's production, as an example/incentive as the slave work force was marched into work.

1691084972516.png

I found this during a long layover at Chicago Midway in June. It was a quick read for me because I couldn’t stop reading. Real gem from an original cowpuncher dictated to Helena Smith, first published 1939. Just a few pages in I decided to give this to @hank4elk next time I see him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back