What are you currently reading?

I know there are some other thriller fans here. I just finished Dead Fall, considering starting either Gray Man or the Mitch Rapp stuff. Any feedback or other recommendations?

Internet was out so no TV. Pulled out the old classic "A Treasury of Outdoor Life" which is an old collection of their best magazine articles, going way back.
Great book.

Also re-read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark.

Is that along the lines of the tv series “Justified” n if so, is it the first book in the series?
Pronto
Riding the Rap
Fire in the Hole
Raylan

4 in the series.

In order of publication chronology.

I'm about to do Pronto.

On the recommendation of @Nunyacreek I am currently reading River of No Return. The author's prose and story telling are enthralling, and whether or not I ever find myself in the country of the book, good grief it's good.

View attachment 278189
Just finished. I appreciated it for what it is, great rambling chronology of a place that was once much more populated than it currently is (at least the canyon portion from North Fork down). Not all that entertaining IMO though. When and if I ever draw a permit, I'll definitely bring it along.

Listening to Dan Lopes, Coyote America

I probably should have read it before having my wife stock it in her Junior High library.

The first chapter tells the Native America legend of Old Man Coyote in the Valley of the Many Vaginas. How Coyote spends so much energy chasing vaginas all night that he could not perform when he finally caught one. Wisdom in these legends, for sure.

I'm mortified at that being read by 14 YO boys.

I know there are some other thriller fans here. I just finished Dead Fall, considering starting either Gray Man or the Mitch Rapp stuff. Any feedback or other recommendations?
I have read all the Mitch Rapp and Scott Harvath books. Good easy reads.

Last edited:
16917964849631149620324392612243.jpg
This one is about a little boy who went to live with his Cherokee grandpa and grandma in the mountains of Tennessee after being orphaned. It's alternately heartbreaking and amusing. 5 stars!

Got this in the mail today.

I stumbled across "Roping Lions in the Grand Canyon" many years ago. It's the only other book of his I read, and I loved it.

e.20230814_183003.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 287596
This one is about a little boy who went to live with his Cherokee grandpa and grandma in the mountains of Tennessee after being orphaned. It's alternately heartbreaking and amusing. 5 stars!
Have you listened to the Bear Grease podcast about this book? The author who was supposedly a Cherokee turned out to be a white supremacist. I haven’t read the book and everyone on the podcast agreed that it was a great book, but the author’s backstory was totally fabricated.

Have you listened to the Bear Grease podcast about this book? The author who was supposedly a Cherokee turned out to be a white supremacist. I haven’t read the book and everyone on the podcast agreed that it was a great book, but the author’s backstory was totally fabricated.
That's interesting. I hadn't heard that at all. I'll have to do some research.

Whatever the backstory, it's still a great read.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that at all. I'll have to do some research.

Whatever the backstory, it's still a great read.
There’s actually 2 podcasts. I went back and looked. The first is Episode 102: Conman - The Education of Little Tree.

There’s actually 2 podcasts. I went back and looked. The first is Episode 102: Conman - The Education of Little Tree.
I googled his name and read a couple articles on this. It seems to be well established.
Quite the double life! Makes you wonder what was really going on in his head.

I suppose the Justified series ruined me for Leonard's Raylan Givens books. More like long short stories with way too much tediousness interspersed with a few pretty good yet predictable outcomes. But I went thru em anyway.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back