What are you currently reading?

Enjoyed them both immensely.
This is the first I have read from McGuane. Really gifted at saying things without saying them. At the end of a 10pg short story I find myself going back and rereading sections for all the nuanced things I missed the first time. And still don’t think I am getting 100% of what’s there.

This is the first I have read from McGuane. Really gifted at saying things without saying them. At the end of a 10pg short story I find myself going back and rereading sections for all the nuanced things I missed the first time. And still don’t think I am getting 100% of what’s there.
Cloudbursts was so much better than 92 in the shade. But I agree, there's a lot there

Literature is timeless and each individual that reads a story paints their own pictures and images in their mind based on the author's descriptions ... and threfore makes it their own.

Just got this for my birthday. I have every edition since they started publishing them in 1985.
I like to look at some really great animals taken in NV.

l7y9Btmm.jpg

Lots of contenders here for 'worst bird' – American Crow, House Sparrow, Yellow Warbler. Some people hate Brown-headed Cowbirds for their uncanny ability to threaten the populations of the critically endangered Kirtland’s Warbler among countless other passerine species by laying their eggs in the other’s nest. Personally, I rather like BHCO. I find it fascinating that they’ve evolved the ability to mess with other birds so badly. And let’s be honest, Kirtland’s Warbler wouldn’t be quite so alluring if it wasn’t on the precipice of extinction.

1683756682655.png

Lots of contenders here for 'worst bird' – American Crow, House Sparrow, Yellow Warbler. Some people hate Brown-headed Cowbirds for their uncanny ability to threaten the populations of the critically endangered Kirtland’s Warbler among countless other passerine species by laying their eggs in the other’s nest. Personally, I rather like BHCO. I find it fascinating that they’ve evolved the ability to mess with other birds so badly. And let’s be honest, Kirtland’s Warbler wouldn’t be quite so alluring if it wasn’t on the precipice of extinction.

View attachment 275408
My dad hated cowbirds.

Just reread after 30 years of haaving it on my bookshelf Puckoon by Spike Milligan.
Just as funny, just as screwball, just as great as the first time I read it.

Started to read the Gormenghast triology by Mervyn Peake
Titus Groan, Gormengast, Titus Alone .
I think I might watch the BCC tv series too.

Finally finished Wallace Stegner's "Big Rock Candy Mountain". Weeks of joyless self punishment.
BRCM was perhaps too close to home and caused to much self inspection. When you crawl to the end, you are wondering if you are any better father that the hate-able Harry "Bo" Mason.
Dear Lord I hope so.

Every time I start a Stegner I kick myself. I haven't found one yet that wasn't too long. too slow, and too depressing.I am, in the words of @Cornell2012 , a "completionist." I always have to finish the set. Sad but true. I'm actually queuing up "Beyond the Hundredth Meridian" now. I've heard its Stegner's best work

Somewhat influenced by Carr's recommendation in the afterword of "Only the Dead", I read this book. In some ways, we were closer to war in 1983 than in 1962. Excellent read.

1685194429177.png

About three of fifteen hours into Carr's 'Only The Dead' (Terminal List) installment paralleling current world affairs. Snowflakes will hate this one also.
Shout to NHY for putting me onto Carr’s books. About 3/4 done with book two. He’s a good writer.

He did a Meateater podcast recently that was good. He shared his opinion that elected officials should be held “criminally responsible” for many of their decisions. He also made a reference that his writings were cathartic for him in that he could create a world where justice is served regardless of one’s position in society. Definitely snowflake trigger warning.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back