Caribou Gear Tarp

Western camo patterns

vman1959

Hi ; Sort of new to the forum but read allot of great information. I elk hunt Sw Colorado lots of sage jack pine and pinion. I was wondering what the best camo pattern would be for that terrain. Thanks

I personaly like naturalgear. I also like kings camo as well. The main thing is don't go to dark. Faded carhartt brown isn't too bad in reality.

I like outfitter patterns and Kings,light to med tones seem to work best for me
Desert camo works in alot of places.

Same with Wranglers/Carharts if you are working too and don't mind making a bunch of noise.....lol

Looking back over the years, my most successful outfit included denim jeans, orange vest, camo hat and just about any colored shirt. But that's Idaho mostly. Probably something else works in Colorado. Welcome to the site.

I remember Chuck Adams saying all you need is a plad shirt and some blue jeans ..oh and a stand in good wind ..you should have no trouble getting a good whitetail..
well that was a long time ago ..and lots of sponsers ago. Lol any way just pick a color and use it .
Good luck !!!

MT.PERCHMAN

Im sitting here just chucking .. I used Walmart Camo for years ...41 mounts so far ....and just last week I picked up some Sitka gear . What was I thinking ...I dont even have a sponser ..hmmm .
anyway im just rambling on ..getting old I guess.

MT.PERCHMAN

When the animal is looking your way, DON"T MOVE. Watch the wind. Spend the money you save on camo for ammo to practice with AND taxidermy.
Dan

I'm old school, and still wear red and black wool plaid. I have shirts and jackets that I bought in the 50's. Durable stuff.

I'm a still hunter, and i've been as close as 10ft from a bull with him looking right at me. As was said. The wind and movement is what gets you busted.

Camo was in vented by the military to fool humans. Animals don't see us like we see us. You should research that if you don't know how they see us. If we had to be invisible then wearing a solid blaze orange vest and hat would get us busted everytime, but it doesn't.

Don't get sucked into the camo crap. Spend your money on something useful.

I wear my wool plaid still and have taken bucks in blue jeans and a white tee.

Ungulates see in gray tones,and can see some blues.
Fabric brighteners make camo look neon to them.

IMHO anything you can do to get split second advantage is fine by me,scent free and camoed....and in comfort,quietly.
.....as for $200 stuff,I think not.

I only wear camo when hunting too for most part....not everyday wear.lol 'Cept a cap I wear working...

Last edited:
Part of the problem is the modern fabrics only come in camo. If they'd offer them in plain colors they could be worn everyday without looking like Rambo.

Camo is the biggest hustle in the hunting industry.

Big game animals are color blind so it doesn't really matter if you use $10 camo t-shirt or the $80 camo t-shirt. Anything that breaks up your outline is going to work. Of course animals will spot movement in a heartbeat and smell you a mile away, those are more important than camo.

If you are rifle hunting it doesn't matter. If you are bow hunting, it really still does not matter! Play the wind and be still when they can see you. Most camo will work just fine. You don't need to spend a fortune on clothes just to buy off on ridiculous marketing. If you are looking for waterproof etc., then you may want to get some higher-dollar stuff just for the quality.

I wear Sitka open country pattern.I like the comfort of their clothes for western hunting.Certain patterns do make a difference on being noticed by wildlife.Movement and scent are your biggest enemy though

Part of the problem is the modern fabrics only come in camo. If they'd offer them in plain colors they could be worn everyday without looking like Rambo.

First Lite, Sitka and Kuiu are all hunting companies using modern fabrics and making non camo clothes. If you're willing to look outside of "hunting" companies there are plenty of companies using modern fabrics in non camo; just head to your nearest camping/hiking/back packing store.

Back