Western camo patterns

Here's the bomb preferred by today's social media/ internet savvy industry insider. It'll help you put the smackdown on a mack-daddy swamp donkey.

Attachments

• High_KneelandR_08.jpg
    High_KneelandR_08.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 652
First Lite, Sitka and Kuiu are all hunting companies using modern fabrics and making non camo clothes. If you're willing to look outside of "hunting" companies there are plenty of companies using modern fabrics in non camo; just head to your nearest camping/hiking/back packing store.
This!

First Lite, Sitka and Kuiu are all hunting companies using modern fabrics and making non camo clothes. If you're willing to look outside of "hunting" companies there are plenty of companies using modern fabrics in non camo; just head to your nearest camping/hiking/back packing store.

I did a long time ago. Woolrich. :)

There are some truths to camouflage but I have to say that camouflage is fashion to most hunters. The one fact is that we have ideas and theories of how animals see but we really don't know. Most prey animals utilized movement and smell over their actual eye sight. Some will say lights and dark earth tones are the way to go. Other will say micro or macro? Either way, I don't believe you can go wrong with your choice.

I agree with everyone in that the camo industry is a huge $$ pit and unnecessary in most applications for North American game when you DAY hunt. Now in saying that, I don't think it applies when you are back country hunting and will be out in wilderness area for a week at a time. There is NO way you would wear "Wal-mart" camo, or other cheaper cotton fabrics and have a good trip. The weight and odor control that you get from those expensive brands of camo are invaluable when your life depends on it. In saying this, I personally have collected the cheaper cotton and wool style cloths for day hunting, and have started buying all the expensive gear for when I'm back country hunting as well.

My opinion is simply worth .02 if someone would pay it....but here goes!

I think you can get by with anyting X% of the time. I think anything that breaks up your outline gets you a little more. Neutral tones...even more. Best yet, quality camo brings it up the most. How much is anyone's guess and it varies on animal type, lighting conditions, locations, etc. Could it be the gap in effectiveness in some conditions isnt very much at all? Sure. On the other hand, quality camo in some situations may be much better than not having it. So it comes down to this...do you want to do everything you can to have every advantage or are you good with letting the chips fall where they may and hoping it all works out in the end. Somewhere in the middle?

I agree on the quality of the garment in the mountains completely, your trip will be that much better if your clothing works well. No cotton.

Camo is the biggest hustle in the hunting industry.

This.

I think camo is extremely overrated. One year I hunted a spot and sat behind a tiny, spindly shrub in a solid blaze orange jacket. I had deer come by within 50 yards and not one of them ever noticed me.

Hunters get brain washed easily if they think it "might" work. The same deal with all the scent products. We stink no matter what we do. You might think you're fooling the game. You aren't. To them you'll always stink like a human.

One guy told me he puts elk cow piss on his boots to block his odor. I told him to an elk he'll smell like a human that a cow pissed on.

Play the wind, and don't move when being looked at. Move quiet. Hunt like a cat.

I can't even imagine how many deer and elk have fallen to someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I always chuckle when I see those guys on tv wearing camo under a blaze orange vest and hat, what's the point besides hawking the sponsor's camo brand.

I was once seduced into submission by a little kitty in a pink camo nighty........does that count?.... as it works?

Has anyone seen guys use them silly ghillie suits? I can't imagine elk hunting in one.

Kings camo thanks those that mentioned them for turning me on to them. I was in need of some new stuff anyway....I sound like my sister

I subscribe to the fact that camo is created more to fool (please?) the human eye than the animal eye. That being said, the one's that fool me the best are the non-photorealistic designs like Sitka's Open Country, First Lite's Fusion, and Kuiu (I like the Vias over the Verde). Amongst the photorealistic camos, Max1 works good out west.

I can't even imagine how many deer and elk have fallen to someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I always chuckle when I see those guys on tv wearing camo under a blaze orange vest and hat, what's the point besides hawking the sponsor's camo brand.
`

Or wearing their fashion statement camo in a high shooting house in Texas.

I was really pleased to see Craig Boddington hunting moose in Colorado wearing blue jeans and hunter orange. He is one of the most realistic hunters on TV. The Eastmans, Randy, and a few others are also real good. I understand that the sponsor has to be appeased, but it gets a little ridiculous.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back