Caribou Gear Tarp

Well..I officially lamed out.

Looking at the weather up there makes me happy that I planned to come up the weekend after the opener.

Everyone who is out and about up there be safe.

I awoke to the sounds of my neighbor jump shooting the farm pond for ducks on the opener. Maybe after work some of them might have flown over to our pond...53 and foggy here on the Left Coast...

You were not the only one. It was dead on the road this morning. I am use to driving on the county road in a fresh snow and leaving one of the first tracks on the road, but not during hunting season.

Literally "lamed" out due to recovery from knee surgery, but my energetic MSU Rodeo Team cowboy grandson and his team roping partner took my equipment, rifle, pack, and other gear and headed up during the blizzard to experience an adventure and report back so that I may vicariously enjoy this opening day.

Good luck, be safe, enjoy the hunt, boys!
So then the younger new teenager grandson spotted some bull elk while hunting during the two day youth hunt, so he was pretty anxious to get up on the mountain ... but alas, his dad, my son has just tested positive for Covid ... so seriously lamed out. He says he feels okay and is in great shape, but still here I sit, hoping and praying for the best.

... but anxiously awaiting a report from the cowboys.

I love this time of year, when Northern guys are like "I'm not going out to climb a mountain with snow blowing in my face" and Southern guys are like "I'm not going to go sit in a tree and fight mosquitoes" hahaha

Exactly. It is primitive weapons season opener here. I chose to go to town and finish up some errands instead.

I "lamed out" an entire season here. My pal that owns the land I hunt said I could only take bucks this year. Uh, OK, so now I'm down to a 2 deer limit by the state regs. I already have 2 either sex tags for firearm and muzzleloader seasons, plus an antlerless only tag. So, I already have to eat the one tag by not being able to shoot a doe. I could buy my archery tags and go hunting but they come over the counter as a pair, 1 either sex and 1 antlerless. I would then have 2 antlerless and 1 either sex tag to toss in the garbage! Nope! Not wasting the cash no matter how little it is, and I'm sleeping in on the weekends. Tried one of the neighbors about archery on his place but never got an answer back. I'm just hoping the hunting gods smile and don't parade an endless stream of does past me while I wait for the bucks that never appear! 😟

Well boys I didn't lame out but after a couple miles on foot (down a closed logging road). I am zapped. My lungs really struggled post COVID.

I haven't been back to my camp but overnight temps were reasonable enough. It is now colder than it was then and now it's windy. My little titanium stove won't be able to keep up with the wind and negative temps. A last minute departure may be necessary.

Well back to the hills

Attachments

• 20201024_122627.jpg
    20201024_122627.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
I’ve killed my elk on the same date the past two seasons. Today wasn’t that day, so I sat it out. I’ll make sure I’m out there on my lucky day.

Last edited:
Back