Welfare Ranchers Whine in Wyoming

JoseCuervo

Fighting for 'heritage, lifestyle, and way of life'. Hmmmm..... but my "heritage" is hunting Elk in the same public lands my Grandfather did, my way of life is running free-flowing rivers... My heritage includes catching Wild Salmon and Steelhead in Idaho.

Unhappy ranchers blame BLM
By MIKE STARK
Billings Gazette

WORLAND – Worried about the future of ranching in the West, more than 100 people rallied outside the Bureau of Land Management office here Monday.

The purpose was to draw attention not only to frustrations with the Worland BLM office but also to voice larger concerns that the federal government’s actions threaten a way of life, according to many who attended.

“There’s no question we are in a war and if we don’t stand up and be counted, we’re going to lose that war,” said Karen Budd-Falen, a Cheyenne-based attorney who often represents ranchers and farmers in disputes with the government.

Before the rally, about 50 ranchers on horseback and two wagons rode quietly through downtown in a slow procession that ended in a blocked-off street next to the Worland BLM office.

The office most recently has been locked in a dispute with Frank Robbins, a Thermopolis rancher who has been accused of numerous violations on federal land. Robbins, who has denied the allegations, has accused the BLM office of a pattern of harassment and intimidation.

Terry Jones, a rancher from Otto, said Robbins’ case isn’t isolated.

The “grim faces” of those attending the rally bespeak a widespread dissatisfaction with “abusive bureaucrats running an illegal agenda,” he said. “This makes it very publicly known that this issue is bigger than a few individuals.”

The crowd, which included several families, didn’t shout or chant in the manner of protesters in most places, but their frustration was evident. Many are angry because they believe the government – through its policies and actions – is curtailing grazing or taking other measures to further restrict how they can use federal land.

Often, the changes have been made in the name of improving environmental conditions on the range. But ranchers tend to the land better than anyone, said Winn Brown.

“The greatest environmentalists are us,” he said. Jones said the West was settled on a commitment from the federal government that ranchers and others could use the land to help build communities, particularly in remote and sometimes harsh places like Wyoming. Now, he said, the government is turning its back on that commitment.

Budd-Falen said some of the basic tenets of government have been misinterpreted and ranchers and other citizens have lost their voice in the process.

“The bureaucracy works for us, it’s not the other way around,” she said.

Clay Gibbons of Worland said ranching operations are struggling because of “heavy-handedness by the BLM here and elsewhere.” The result, he said, will be a gradual erosion of ranching, Western heritage and livelihoods.

“It’s an attack on our way of life,” Gibbons said.

Part of the problem is that many people envy the “cowboy” lifestyle and want to knock it down, he said. But, he added, there is also a significant philosophical split in how ranchers and environmentalists view the land.

“We believe that God created the world for the wise, responsible use of human beings,” he said. “The environmentalists believe man is an intruder on an otherwise perfect world.”

Gibbons, who helped organize the event, said ranchers have failed to organize effectively to voice their opinions and pursue changes. Characteristics that make a good rancher may be working against the larger cause, he said.

“It’s that very independence that may defeat us because of our failure to organize,” he said. “We need to let them know they’re selling out the cowboy.”

Thermopolis rancher Larry Bentley said the best way to fight back is through challenging “policies and issues” and not individuals within the government. Only by knowing and understanding the laws can ranchers be effective in making sure they’re carried out.

“We need to be educated,” he said.

Bentley and others also urged the crowd to talk to people outside their ranks, including sportsmen, church members, county commissioners and legislators.

“Make them aware of our problems,” he said.

Although much of the discussion centered on general issues with the government, the Worland BLM was specifically mentioned several times by people who said they believe the office has an “environmentalist” bent that’s harmful to ranchers.

“If we had to pay their wages out of our own pocket, we’d have fired them all,” Brown said.

BLM officials said the rally did not disrupt business at the office.

“We fully support their rights as individuals to express their opinions,” said Janine Terry, a BLM spokeswoman.

After the rally, many people rushed to get their names on a sign-up list to be contacted and become involved with activities that advocate for ranchers and push for changes locally and nationally.

Budd-Falen said she was heartened to see so many people in Worland making a stand.

“With this kind of support,” she said, “I believe we can win the war on the West.”

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

I'd sure like to take a field trip to the various BLM leases the 20 ranchers have and see how good they are at being "greatest environmentalists".

Maybe they really are taking good care of the range, but theres at least a 60% chance they arent.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-12-2003 07:29: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Buzz,

You said:

"I'd sure like to take a field trip to the various BLM leases the 20 ranchers have and see how good they are at being "greatest environmentalists"

Good idea, do it. Until then shut your phucking yap!

Paul

I like the "greatest environmentalist" remark as well. Most have done nothing but DESTROY the environment since they started grazing cattle. I have even heard that remark form various ranchers around where I grew up! It really cracks me up when I hear it and think about what their pasture land and streams looks like. A barren wasteland comes to mind...

What a crock, most of them don't know the first thing about being environmentaly friendly. I think the remark about how "they need to be educated" speaks for its self
eek.gif
I think they may be about 100 years to late on that one...

Ivan

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-12-2003 08:00: Message edited by: Bambistew ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The office most recently has been locked in a dispute with Frank Robbins, a Thermopolis rancher who has been accused of numerous violations on federal land. Robbins, who has denied the allegations, has accused the BLM office of a pattern of harassment and intimidation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We all remember Frank Robbins, don't we? Yeah, this guy has spent a lifetime in the ranching business and just wants to carry on like his parents and grandparents.
rolleyes.gif

Here's something to jog memories about Frank Robbins.

Robbins violations: Hundreds of excess cattle on grazing allotments and exceeding grazing time limits by days or weeks; incomplete and contradictory reporting by Robbins; lack of an acceptable grazing plan; trespassing on BLM allotments and private property; filling-in four cattle guards on a public access road with dirt and closing the road with gates; and overgrazing estimated at heavy to severe levels

Ever since rogue rancher Frank Robbins moved to Thermopolis from northern Alabama and traded the rubber flooring business for public lands ranching, he has run afoul of the local Bureau of Land Management. Beginning in 1994, Robbins acquired three large ranches near Thermopolis and Worland, Wyo. He has been in trouble with the local agency officials ever since.

Oak

Thanks Oak, glad we're all over trying to keep the Marlboro man alive and well...

Guess the field trip wont be necessary after all...its already a fact the "greatest environmentists" are over-grazing. That damn heavy handed BLM...making poor Frank take his illegal gates down, get his cattle off BLM land when he's supposed to,etc. etc....thats asking a lot.
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

After the things I have seen this fall in my hunting area my views towards public grazing have taken a 180 degree turn.
eek.gif

The area I was hunting in is hunting units 59, 61, 60a basically all the area around spencer Idaho.

You would think that because of the drought that the cattle would be off the range earlier.....Nope that area was grazed down to nothing, all that is left is dirt, brush, and cow shit. Alot of the small creeks dried up and the few that still had water are tromped beyond belief.
I would be ashamed if I had cattle on one of those leases
frown.gif

Ithaca and Buzz,
I don't want to hear it
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Different ranchers must use different mentalities. The areas I hunted down that way this year showed little to no sign of cattle this year, but the outfitters had picketed horses in some bad places since the archery season had started. Horse, the other red meat.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Ten, "IT, you've yet to show that 60% in poor condition is due to grazing." You must be even more stupid than I thought!

We've had about a hundred topics discussing the poor condition of BLM due to grazing. If you can't remember them I'm not wasting time reiterating them. Do a Google search for "BLM poor condition" and see what you find.

Ten,

It is amazing that you are the only person to never have seen any damage from Welfare Ranchers and you actually think they are good for the land...
rolleyes.gif

Do you not get out much, or just not open your eyes??

Gunner et al,
If you term the Wyoming ranchers as "whiners", how do we clasify the comments and drivel you continually pontificate on this board?
WD

Wally Dog,

I used the term "Whiners", as I liked the alliteration on the Topic Header. You know, the W's.... Wyoming, Whine, and Welfare.. Pretty catchy, huh?

As for my comments, I would think you could classify them as Brilliance.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Hopefully, if I keep posting about Welfare Ranchers, one day while you are out hunting, you will notice the damage to YOUR land. You might not think it is a problem today, but eventually you will come across a streambed that has been destroyed, or rangeland that wouldn't feed a grasshopper.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As for my comments, I would think you could classify them as Brilliance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think I'd go quite that far, Elkgunner. That would imply that they are brilliant ideas that you dreamed up on your own. I would classify them as common sense.
rolleyes.gif

Oak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back