Wyoming joins the elk wars

Ben Lamb

Ordinary hunting will never reduce elk numbers to their target levels, Rep. John Winter (R-Thermopolis) opined to fellow members of the Joint Agriculture, State and Public Lands and Water Resources Committee.

As an alternative, he suggested commissioning a helicopter crew to gun down overpopulated herds that are eating grass, busting fences and generally giving Wyoming ranchers headaches.

“If we’re going to get this job done, we’re going to have to change our whole approach,” Winter said at the committee’s June 6 meeting in Torrington. “I really believe that if you get the right pilot and the right organization, we could take care of this problem in relatively short time.”

I could be wrong, but I have always felt that the BS that has come to Montana is just a decade or so ahead of coming to Wyoming.

Tread carefully Wyoming Hunters. Well-meaning programs meant to help the Wyoming rancher - aggressive seasons with promises of being temporary or assessed for efficacy in the future, programs meant to increase public access to private lands in exchange for *something* - they become a stain that doesn't wash out .

To be fair the aerial gunning was one person, who largely knows little about the subject, throwing out an idea. This is a long way from the State running an actual aerial gunning program on elk. A long way. Legislators say lots of stupid shit in these committees that never amount to anything.

However, the issue of over-population elk is not going away. Changes are coming. Will it be helo shoots? Doubt it!

To be fair the aerial gunning was one person, who largely knows little about the subject, throwing out an idea. This is a long way from the State running an actual aerial gunning program on elk. A long way. Legislators say lots of stupid shit in these committees that never amount to anything.

However, the issue of over-population elk is not going away. Changes are coming. Will it be helo shoots? Doubt it!

I'm going to be honest, I always thought MT would regress to aerial gunning first.

At one point (Post Spanish-American War), MT had advertisements nationally for machine gunners to come and whack entire herds.

Never underestimate the lack of wisdom in any group of politicians.

Apparently he is completely out of touch with the demand for elk tags in the west. WY could make a mint allowing a certain number of cow hunters each week out to take care of this.

I think the issue is ranchers want the elk off, but don't want to let hunters on. You can't kill elk up on public and expect it to solve the problems on private, it will just drive more elk onto the private....

Last edited:
I think the issue is ranchers want the elk off, but don't want to let hunters on. You can kill elk up on public and expect it to solve the problems on private, it will just drive more elk onto the private....
1687281324738.png

Then there's those 22 disease pools known as feedgrounds keeping herds unatturally inflated.

End the feedgrounds, end the over population problems in the western part of the state.

Wyoming should let Montana experiment with aerial gunning elk first. I’m here for it. We can’t keep doing the same old thing and expect different results.

two "take-aways"
1. Politicians and lobbyists are conflating a neighbor issue for a wildlife management issue.
2. The Ag industry is running the show, getting undo number of laws supported and acted on.

O Me! O Life!​

BY WALT WHITMAN
Oh me! Oh life! of the questions of these recurring,
Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill’d with the foolish,
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew’d,
Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me,
Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined,
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.
That you are here—that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back