Weigh the scale Merino wool or Quality Binos?

Ohboytimmy

Proud to say this is going to be my first DYI OTC Archery hunt in Colorado on a budget! I have 2.5 weeks to roam and backpack hunt. All of my packing gear are all in check and quality for the most part. My problem is that I have about $250 $300 dollars extra in my budget to use for gear.

I am down to either First lite base layers upgrade maybe to Vortex Diamondback upgrade from my mediocre setup

Currennt Clothe setup
Underwear- Underarmour 3/4 performance
Pants- Cabelas Nylon mountain pants
Top base- Underarmour Poly Camo
Top Mid- Underamour Poly/fleese performance Hoodie (kinda like a tight runners hoddie)
Top Over- first lite uncompahgre puffy

Would like

Underwear- First lite Red Dessert
Top Base- First lite Lano
Pants- First lite Kanab 2.0 Merino or Congurant

Current binos
Entry level Nikon 8x42
Would like
Vortex Diamoundback 10x42

What do you think would be more beneficial to my trip, a change to all Merino wool clothing or a decent pair of Binos?

Last edited:
For an archery hunt, I would go with the Merino as the use of my remaining funds.

Depending on where in CO you will be hunting, odds are you will be in heavy timber where binos are not going to be very important especially since it's your first hunt and you won't necessarily be wanting to count points. Elk are big creatures and if you aren't holding out for a specific age class, spotting them with marginal binos won't be an issue. I would buy a pair of Corrugates, an Aerowool crew, and an aerowool boxer and call it a day. Quality clothing in the high country makes your hunt more enjoyable. Good luck on your hunt!

id upgrade your binos first, and at your budget look at theron optics. I've never heard anything but good about them. you can buy a pair of wapiti lt's for about $150, so you could buy those and pick up some baselayers. you can find really good deals on core 4 element stuff right now, i have 2 merino tops and bottoms and I'm pretty happy with them.

Last edited:
What he said

I'll say get the base layers now. Mainly because the Dbacks aren't a huge step up from your current glass, so save more next year and look @ better glass you'll keep for years. Theron Wapiti. [Edit] I posted this before seeing Wyatt's, above. Spooky:hump:

Last edited:
Neither, save the money and buy better Binos next year if your on a true budget. What you have will be just fine for a archery hunt! Next year research and try a lot of glass out and will be happy you waited. Contrary to what a lot of people and companys say blue jeans are still involved in many people's hunt clothing.

C

$$$$$$$$$$$$ go to WOOL !!!

You're not going to be be able to hunt worth a SH!t, if your body is on Survival Mode.

Good optics only last as long as you can.

As an archery hunter, I would suggest going to merino boxer briefs instead of the binos. I know, TMI, but I normally go commando, except for archery hunting. Archery season often has warmer temperatures and you don't want to be running around the mountain with monkey ass. I wear merino boxers when I hunt since they wick moisture and keep the smell down. Hunting in the timber, you won't need high power awesome binoculars. But, if your crotch is chaffed or rotten, you won't be worth a crap to be out there and you'll be miserable. I've seen weather in the 90's during archery in September, as well as snow, and the merino will keep you more temperature regulated. If you look on amazon or ebay you can find good deals for a good price. Screw under armour. I've got minus 33 boxer briefs for half the price. They also dry quickly, so if you want to wash them at dinner time and hang them overnight, they'll be dry by morning. I would also recommend a wool blend sock for the moisture wicking as well when doing a lot of hiking.

Archery season often has warmer temperatures and you don't want to be running around the mountain with monkey ass.

But, if your crotch is chaffed or rotten, you won't be worth a crap to be out there and you'll be miserable.

LOL, preach it brutha!

Agreed on the Minus 33, good stuff and way better than Under Armour.

You have decent bino's and to step up to start making a difference that will be worth the money, you'll need to go into the higher price point for quality glass. What you said you have extra in your budget, get the base layers and be warm and comfortable so you can hunt longer and more comfortable and make better decisions.
Quality glass is awesome, but like the saying goes, get the best you can afford. And I would add to that, get the best you can afford with planning and saving, not with whats left in your pocket. Next year, put the glass at the top of your budget.

As others have said, I would ditch the UA and get the merino. I used to be a big believer in UA, and it does have it's uses, but the merino is SO much better at regulating temperature and moisture.

When you're ready to upgrade optics, look at Predator Optics and the Theron line of glass. I know the Questa binoculars come highly recommended and 1/3 the price of the fancy name brands. I have the Wapiti's and they are amazing.

Clothing and sleeping gear is really always your first priority. Without those, your hunt can be miserable. You can get by with crappy weapons and optics, but if the weather is rainy, hot, windy.... sub par clothes and boots will not be fun.

Ditto the Merino over new glass for now.
Check Sierra Trading Post for deals.Also REI has sales on quality merino too. I got some half price Smartwool as they were getting new stock for the season.
Schmalts has deals too. I was impressed with the Theron glass I checked last year another hunter had.
Then get the upgrade on 10x42 or10x50 glass depending on where you will be hunting.
I still us my 8x30 Steiners in thick/close in stuff at times.

Last edited:
Just my two cents. I think you get more of an upgrade for that budget with the new merino verses going from your nikons to a vortex diamondback. I would by the good baselayer And shirt for layering and then do a bino upgrade when you have more discretionary funds .

Thanks for your guy's input! Comfort and body protection seems to be a more logical choice. I found that first lite still has some realtree patterned base layers on sale and in my size. So its in my cart and ready to go. Theron's for next year!

Lesson learned from senior elk hunters, "Keep that gooch clean and dry!"

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back