PEAX Equipment

What weight merino for September elk?

Mossy-Back

I’m wanting to upgrade my base layers to merino blend this year and I’m having a hard time deciding what weight to go with.

I want a long sleeve shirt (Either zip or hoodie) I can wear next to skin and use as a stand-alone top layer in the heat of the day (85-90 degrees) and then layer on top of for colder weather.

I feel like a 150 weight would be better for the heat, but I worry about it being too fragile. I think the 200 weight would be more durable But might be too warm. I’ve never had merino before.

Also up for suggestions on brand between Kuiu, First Lite, and BlackOvis. BlackOvis doesn’t come in camo or have thumb loops, First Lite Aerowool is supposed to be super comfortable but I hear it isn’t as durable as Kuiu. Kuiu is most expensive but seems to meet all my criteria.
Help me!

Badlands merino is amazing! Best stuff I’ve ever worn, and the “ninja” top has a built in face mask. Forever warranty is real too.

My favorite September shirt is a First Lite 170 weight long sleeve. I’ve had great luck with First Lite and Smartwool for merino, and you can often find Smartwool on Sierra Trading Post for a great price. Icebreaker is great too.

My favorite September shirt is a First Lite 170 weight long sleeve. I’ve had great luck with First Lite and Smartwool for merino, and you can often find Smartwool on Sierra Trading Post for a great price. Icebreaker is great too.

How do you rate the Firstlite for durability used as a top layer?

I don’t have a lot of experience so take what I say with a grain of salt, but for temps above 45 those $100 merino wool shirts haven’t done anything for me a $20 field and stream moisture wick won’t do.
Merino wool socks are awesome though.

Not sure exactly what that means, but I’m kinda in between a medium and large, planning to order a large because I know most of these style shirts are a more athletic fit.
You already got the gist. Order one size up. They are good stuff but restrictive.

The downside to wool is wind. So wear it under a good shell and you'll be toasty.

I have smartwool medium weight top and bottom base layers. There is no chance I could wear it in temps over 60 or 65 with our humidity. May be different in a drier climate.

I am very pleased with the comfort, fit, and durability of all of the smartwool products I have tried.

I've used core4 19/25 lond sleeve t's for years which is a mapped 190/250. I also have used sitka core/mid/hvy zip t's in different combinations, all of that with a 90% jacket.

Sounds like for my purposes the 150 stuff would be best, and based on the features and reviews of its durability I’ll probably try the Kuiu

Cotton turtle neck, long sleeve cotton outer shirt, Levi's jeans.

Wait, this picture was the end of October. For September forget the turtle neck. :D
qfbKqvsl.jpg

I use the camo synthetics with the silver for my base layers and top with either a fleece or wool shirt. I like the synthetics because of the light wt. and wicking capabilities. Also its really ease to clean while in camp.

I’m a huge fan of the merino 145 from kuiu, it gets me through all of archery. I usually have a peloton 240 zip up in am too and then ditch it in the pack by mid morning

I’m a huge fan of the merino 145 from kuiu, it gets me through all of archery. I usually have a peloton 240 zip up in am too and then ditch it in the pack by mid morning

That’s my plan. I have a mid weight Kings Camo hoody that I can layer on top morning and evening. I want the hoodie merino for sun protection. The Kuiu 145 seems to have everything I am looking for.

Back