Caribou Gear

Weatherby issues

That’s exactly what mine was doing. Two perfect, third 2-3” off.
Looking to get to the factory specs with the TSX bullet, 3232. About 90 FPS off right now, no signs of pressure, so should be able to get there.
Working up the “ladder”, the groups got smaller with each increase in powder.3B9682CA-91DA-4BA7-9B71-9C8656458788.jpeg

Know I’m dragging up a 2 year old thread, but had to say this.
After getting the WeatherMark back and all the complaining I did, I’ve worked up a 180 TSX load for it and it’ll shoot .75 all day long.
It’s the rifle I’m taking to Colorado this fall. Looking to put a notch on the stock, so to speak.

Last edited:
After getting the WeatherMark back and all the complaining I did, I’ve worked up a 180 TSX load for it and it’ll shoot .75 all day long.
It’s the rifle I’m taking to Colorado this fall. Looking to put a notch on the stock, so to speak.
glad it worked out for you

Did they tell you what the problem was?

Thanks for posting the successful outcome this thread made me a little nervous. I recently became a dealer for Weatherby. We are putting a custom scope on Weatherby rifles that has a reticle set out to 1000 yards for the exact ballistics of the ammo/gun, I’m telling you this because we shoot all the guns long range to verify scope reticle at various pre set ranges. They have all been tack drivers so far. All have been 300 win mag mark v apex. Fingers crossed but we have been really happy so far. Side note I need to send in a 30-378( I have owned over 20 years) was told probably four to six months for them to look at. So they are still backed up on that end

Just wondering, why did it take over two years to figure out it wasn't shooting well?
I got it, mounted a scope, changed my mind and put another one on. Found Hornaday brass and started working on a load. That brass was a mistake. Gave up on that load and rifle and put it in the safe. Got a couple other rifles and just never went back to the 300 Weatherby.
Drew a Wyoming elk tag and started back working on a load.
Basically time and need.

It’s a 300 Weatherby.
Had a VX5HD in Talley mounts. Torqued the mounts, so I don’t think that was it.
Were it me, it would be the last Weatherby rifle I ever purchased and I would let them know such. But then not many companies stand behind their products these days. There are a few but they are few and far between.

Glad you got it sorted out. You were right about sqeeky wheel getting the grease.

Were it me, it would be the last Weatherby rifle I ever purchased and I would let them know such. But then not many companies stand behind their products these days. There are a few but they are few and far between.
If I were interested in a Weatherby, I'm not, that wouldn't have stopped me completely. I bought a new model 7 Remington when they first came out. Absolutely worst shooting rifle I ever saw! Wrote Remington and they simply didn't care. Then got a 700 ADL in 243 as a gift, plastic stock. Worst bedding I ever saw and didn't shoot worth a darn. Completely re-did the bedding and it shot great! Got it back from the shop yesterday and today it's a 260 Rem. In defense of Weatherby, every shop put's out a bad product now and then, what count's is how they handle the problem. I could understand Weatherby's not honoring the warranty after over two years. That's why I asked why it took so long to figure out it didn't shoot! Imagine a life time warranty on accuracy. At some point in all rifles it starts falling off and most except that. Company are made on customer service for sure but that long wait to say it don't shoot well would make me question it also. Sounds like now you have a rifle that satifies you!

I had similar issues with a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag all with a different ending. Obviously the vanguard is not on the same level as a weathermark but I had the rifle and shot factory loads with it and it would shoot 1 moa or better then the next time I would shoot with factory it was all over. Most of the time after the first 10-20 shots I would leave it dirty to allow for fouling. The first 10 I cleaned after every shot and allowed it to cool. I would clean it after so many shots, maybe 25 or so and go from there then I started using factory loads and hand loaded ammo. I initially used hornady gmx 150 gr and the barrel twist was a 9.5 twist I believe and I also checked the rings to verify they were tight. Long story short, I could not get the rifle to stay under 1 moa, one day it would shoot under .75 moa with hand loads then the next with the same exact loads it would be over 1 moa followed by multiple other times of me getting mad to the point that I wanted to use my dad's old marlin 30-30 for the year of hunting. I missed probably one of the nicest bucks last year on our farm at around 300 yards which I had practiced with the rifle out 400 on paper and it would be a decent group one minute and not the next, so I was kind of clueless where it would land. All in all I sold the rifle and I have a Seekins PH2 in 7mm Rem Mag that I will be picking up before november that has a lifetime warranty not a 2 year warranty like weatherby.

I had similar issues with a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag all with a different ending. Obviously the vanguard is not on the same level as a weathermark but I had the rifle and shot factory loads with it and it would shoot 1 moa or better then the next time I would shoot with factory it was all over. Most of the time after the first 10-20 shots I would leave it dirty to allow for fouling. The first 10 I cleaned after every shot and allowed it to cool. I would clean it after so many shots, maybe 25 or so and go from there then I started using factory loads and hand loaded ammo. I initially used hornady gmx 150 gr and the barrel twist was a 9.5 twist I believe and I also checked the rings to verify they were tight. Long story short, I could not get the rifle to stay under 1 moa, one day it would shoot under .75 moa with hand loads then the next with the same exact loads it would be over 1 moa followed by multiple other times of me getting mad to the point that I wanted to use my dad's old marlin 30-30 for the year of hunting. I missed probably one of the nicest bucks last year on our farm at around 300 yards which I had practiced with the rifle out 400 on paper and it would be a decent group one minute and not the next, so I was kind of clueless where it would land. All in all I sold the rifle and I have a Seekins PH2 in 7mm Rem Mag that I will be picking up before november that has a lifetime warranty not a 2 year warranty like weatherby.

How many shots were in your groups?

Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a rifle that shoots on average 1.1 MOA 3 shot groups to shoot a group below 0.5 MOA and another nearly 2 MOA. That is without taking varying barrel condition, shooter execution, ammo lot variation, and rifle/scope ability to hold zero into account. That is normal statistical variation.

We’re you shooting solid copper bullets by any chance?

I have a first gen weatherby backcountry in 6.5 rpm. It is accurate. I smoked a coyote at 600 yards with factory 140 g hornady interlocks. I do have 1 gripe, that it doesn’t chamber the rounds smoothly. For 2k i was thinking it would roll through them as nice and smooth as my old Winchester. But not the case. Otherwise I’m happy so far. I hope to have it for a long time.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back