Weatherby issues

And rarely the way to keep customers. You keep feeling sorry for Weatherby though, even though it's 100% their actions that are hurting their brand. SMDH.
Their actions of sticking to their policy? And proving the OP had nothing wrong with his rifle?

I’m no big fan of Weatherby by the way, I just don’t think their CS should be dogged on because they follow their own policy, which is actually quite reasonable.

I just pulled the trigger (ha ha) on a Vanguard in 25-06, and feel pretty confident about it. I'm not one to spend days at the range burning through hundreds of rounds. Just pick ONE ammo that's going to be the most reliable best bet and stick with it. That said, what do you guys think would be the best bullet type?

I just pulled the trigger (ha ha) on a Vanguard in 25-06, and feel pretty confident about it. I'm not one to spend days at the range burning through hundreds of rounds. Just pick ONE ammo that's going to be the most reliable best bet and stick with it. That said, what do you guys think would be the best bullet type?
I use a 100 grain Barnes in my 257 Weatherby. Either the TSX or TTSX. They both shot sub 3/4 groups.
Yep I own more than one Weatherby.
BTW, if you start reloading, let me know. Got a bunch of 25-06 brass.

Last edited:
Their actions of sticking to their policy? And proving the OP had nothing wrong with his rifle?

I’m no big fan of Weatherby by the way, I just don’t think their CS should be dogged on because they follow their own policy, which is actually quite reasonable.
They're not being dogged. A seemingly accurate depiction of what happened is being presented and people are making up their minds accordingly. You seem to take issue with people fairly relaying their interactions with a company.

Sometimes it better to be quiet and thought a fool, than speak and show it’s true.
Only person dogging here is you. I’m pretty happy that my Weathermark will be home in time for elk season.

Did you check the front base screw to make sure it wasn’t bottoming out on the barrel threads?
I have a friend whose 300 WBY had accuracy issues , after i took it apart and looked at it, had the same issue with the front screw, sanded it down and re-bedded it and the accuracy returned!

Bummer, I had a Vanguard S2 for awhile and it shot well, but really with only one grain weight. It was 7mm mag and would shoot 160's into an inch or less, but 150's wouldn't go better than about 3". I'm using factory ammo and, of course, didn't try everything but it seemed a bit strange. I also noticed in some of the Meateater episodes that a few of them had trouble ejecting a spent shell.
I was at a show with a friend who wanted to hunt Africa, so we talked to some of the PH's there. They all asked whether or not he planned on bringing any Weatherby's, after telling no he didn't own any and why ask, they then went on to explain the Weatherby 6 & 9 lug actions have a tendency of locking up and making a quick second shot difficult, especially in the heat of the moment, and you don't want that when dealing with dangerous game.

Reading this critically I would say the warranty may be intended to avoid covering various scenarios not related to the referenced situation such as shot out barrels. Or it could be to assure a customer that the overbore cartridge won't ruin the accuracy within a couple of seasons. Having inspected the rifle and found it had not been fired excessively, it's just bad business for Weatherby to not cover the gun a little past warranty.

That said, the fine details of their warranty should indicate it isn't generally indicative of high odds of getting a generally tight shooter. Things are not always as they appear.

Anyhow, I would revisit the scope for damage if torqued down in Talley's. And give some thought to the sand bag set up on the bench. That style of stock is a challenge for groups.

Ended up sending a Weathermark back into Weatherby, it won’t do better than 2.5” with any factory or handloads.
Come to find out, the accuracy guarantee is only good for 2 years. I was 43 days past the 2 years, so have to foot the bill to have it looked at.
Sent it in 3 months ago, never heard a word out of them. Called today and was told maybe another 3-4 months before they get around to evaluating it.
Sure glad I’ve got other rifles to take to Wyoming this year!
Sure seems like a shame to drop 2K on a rifle and then be treated like this.
Guess the “New Normal” has happened at Weatherby too.
without reading through the comments and just getting mad about my experiences with them in the past I will say this.
I have bought 2 Weatherby's in the last 3 years. Neither would shoot the sub MOA they guaranteed and the headache of sending one back and waiting when having 2 years of gunsmithing school behind me I could already see the issues. I ended up bedding the 25-06 and although it helped slightly it still shot sub par for what one expects from todays rifles. Especially anything I spend over 500 dollars on.
I was told by Weatherby it was only a guarantee with their ammo or what if I remember correctly other equal match ammo.
I played around with reloads for both in every conceivable variation, with a quarter century of reloading experience I consider myself to at least have a working knowledge of what it takes to make an accurate hunting load. Still no dice.
The closest I got on the 25-06 was around a 1.5 MOA if I let the bore cool down completely between shots. One of the reasons I am not a pencil barrel fan. The 300WM I got shooting close to 2 MOA and that was with match bullets and also letting the barrel cool between shots completely.

I haven't been happy with the accuracy of my newish Vanguard. Sending it back sounds like a hassle, so I'll have it bedded and see if that helps.

without reading through the comments and just getting mad about my experiences with them in the past I will say this.
I have bought 2 Weatherby's in the last 3 years. Neither would shoot the sub MOA they guaranteed and the headache of sending one back and waiting when having 2 years of gunsmithing school behind me I could already see the issues. I ended up bedding the 25-06 and although it helped slightly it still shot sub par for what one expects from todays rifles. Especially anything I spend over 500 dollars on.
I was told by Weatherby it was only a guarantee with their ammo or what if I remember correctly other equal match ammo.
I played around with reloads for both in every conceivable variation, with a quarter century of reloading experience I consider myself to at least have a working knowledge of what it takes to make an accurate hunting load. Still no dice.
The closest I got on the 25-06 was around a 1.5 MOA if I let the bore cool down completely between shots. One of the reasons I am not a pencil barrel fan. The 300WM I got shooting close to 2 MOA and that was with match bullets and also letting the barrel cool between shots completely.

.300 Weatherby mag or Winchester mag?

I haven't been happy with the accuracy of my newish Vanguard. Sending it back sounds like a hassle, so I'll have it bedded and see if that helps.
I had a brief Vanguard experiment before spending mo-money on a MK V cure (that really wasn't). I'll admit tho, the Sheridan stamped Weathermark certainly checks the easy on the eyes box.

I’d send it back before you bed it and void any warranty. Unless you’ve had it more than 2 years.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back